PDA

View Full Version : Praying Time...

Dskmn
11-08-01, 04:38 AM
Hey guys, sry to bother yous again, but i was wondering how you guys find time to pray to God, i used to pray daily and I still do but in shorter intervals because of the following reasons:

i got more h/w from school....
ive started devoting some spare time towards reading computer books which will benefit my career...

i know these aren't excuses, but im wondering how others have found time in their busy lives....

Christ_†_Alone
11-08-01, 05:08 AM
Well... folks DO have busy lives, so this is a very common question.

The simple answer is: you just MAKE the time. I'll share with you an excerpt from an article I wrote a few months back, called "Distance From God"

You folks who are reading this, would be surprised at the number of people I talk to each and every day, who say they love the Lord, believe every word in the Bible (whether they understand it or not), who admit that they do not pray every day, or even once a week. Some haven’t prayed for months.

The first time I started hearing this, I was shocked. I
thought ‘how can someone be saved, and never pray?’. It didn’t make any sense to me, at all. The more I talked to people, the more I understood, that time spent in prayer wasn’t something they were taught was as important as it truly is. Sort of like feeding your kids candy all the time, never teaching them fruit is what they need instead… and they just never realize the harm they cause themselves, by not consuming the proper foods.
If a man and woman get married, have a wonderful life together, sharing things, spending time with each other, and just loving each other… then suddenly, or even gradually, just stop all of that, what kind of a marriage are they left with? What would happen if the wife just quit talking to the husband? Now some of you reading might say “he’d likely be the happiest man alive!”, but in reality, he’d be hurt, and left wondering why she didn’t come to him anymore. And what if the husband just as suddenly, or even gradually, stopped telling her how much he loved her, and how glad he was that she was a part of his life? The marriage would be strained at best, and she would be left wondering if he really did still love her.

In a sense, this is how prayer is, between us and the Lord. Quiet time with Him, telling Him thank you, for all the blessing we have, how much we love Him, confessing our weaknesses and seeking strength not to blow it again, and even going to Him on the behalf of others, who are sick or weak or hurt.

I heard one lady tell me she didn’t have time to pray.

She said she gets up at 6 am, and goes to bed around 11 pm, and is so busy all day long with kids, chores, work, errands outside the home, dinner, bath-time for the kids, homework and more chores, that by the end of her 17 hour day, she had NO time to pray.

I asked her to time herself saying “Thank you Almighty God for saving my soul, lead me in your ways today, in the name of Jesus I pray, amen”, and see if she could fit that 14 second prayer, somewhere into her 17 hour day.

I needed not say anything else… she got the point.

blackhaw
11-08-01, 11:16 AM
Dskmn:

To have a more consitent prayer life is a great thing to try to do. The best thing to do is to make a time for prayer. Like before you go to bed or right when you wake up. I would not do it in bed because there is a tendency to fall asleep. Get a chair or a place that can be your prayer place and when you sit there at an appointed time you are praying. Make this a sacred time. NOTHING takes the place of it. I think that this can really help. some other tips would be to not make it too long to start off or too short. Do a little Bible reading and then pray.

Personally I am an night person. I would not do it if I did it in the mornings. So instead when I get up I say a quick prayer for the day. ASomething like "Thank God for another day. Please be with me and help me do your will" Then I go through my day being mindful of God and saying little prayers to Him during the day. Then at night I have my time of prayer before I go to sleep. I jsut do not think that a prayer time is good if you are very sleepy. So do not do it too late or if you are like me too early.

The things that we deem as important in our lies we make time for. If prayer is important to you make time for it. Prepare for it. Make it something that you have to do. You never do not have enough time for the things that aer most important.

I hoped these things helped.
Blackhaw

Peter
11-08-01, 08:58 PM
Setting a time, place is key to consistant prayer life. Also, setting can be very important. I have an altar set up in my dining room where I stand for prayer. This is done every morning at 5. I also use the prayers of the Church to "prime the pump" as it were to assist me in my own expressions. Having a rule of prayer is also key. A rule is something you pray every time. For instance, part of my rule includes the lord's Prayer, Psalm 51, and the Nicene Creed. I also keep a list of indivduals that I pray for every day.
Hope this helps.

Dskmn
11-09-01, 01:04 AM
good idea guys, that should help me out....

id like to ask something else...

see, here is my story:

I was baptised when i was born, however, when we moved to Australia, there were no Orthodox churches near us, so i was never given Holy Communion, Confermation etc.

I went to a Catholic school, and saw my friends do all those things....well, my question is, whats the order of these celebrations and am i able to have these at an older age, cause i believe that this is important for me....

Brandan
11-09-01, 05:22 AM
1 Thessalonians 5:17, says that we are to "pray without ceasing;"

Now, since we are Believers, it isn't very difficult for us to pray. We don't NEED to set aside a time and turn it into a really big chore. Since we walk with God on a daily basis, we are always talking with him, just like you would be talking to your best friend if he was standing next to you all day. That's the way it is with Christians and God.

Prayer is much more than sharing our thoughts and concerns with our Father in heaven. It is a dialogue that takes place, and in fact, you end up listening to what He has to say than anything. If you've never heard God speak to you, well, you don't know what you're missing then, because it's absolutely amazing!

Brandan

Christ_†_Alone
11-09-01, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by Dskmn
I was baptised when i was born, however, when we moved to Australia, there were no Orthodox churches near us, so i was never given Holy Communion, Confermation etc.

I went to a Catholic school, and saw my friends do all those things....well, my question is, whats the order of these celebrations and am i able to have these at an older age, cause i believe that this is important for me....

These ceremonial things only matter if you're a Catholic.

The Lord commanded 2 things, baptism and to partake of the Lord's supper.

If you prefer to follow the ordinances of the Catholic church, then you'll need to contact a local priest and ask him these things.

Peter
11-09-01, 10:55 AM
You might not want to paint with such a large brush. these things matter to many, not just Catholics. Orthodoxy is not Catholocism. And among Protestants, Lutherans and Episcipalians (sp) honor these things.

7th
11-09-01, 02:22 PM
...a gentle ram has never existed amidst the flocks :rolleyes:

Unruly and wilfull as they may be there are none better to protect the flocks in the absence of a shepherd or a sheep dog. So long as they know The Good Shepherd their services are much needed.

CA,

No offence at all is meant by this. Please take none.

Your brother in Peace,
7th

blackhaw
11-09-01, 03:07 PM
"The Lord commanded 2 things, baptism and to partake of the Lord's supper."

What about loving the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and stregnth? Or how about love your neighbor as yourself?

7th
11-09-01, 03:23 PM
... Yes! But His commandements were niether baptism nor to partake of the Lord's supper. Man is not saved through baptism anymore than he is through circumcission. Such was the foolishness of the pharisees. Later, the galatians were rebuked by Paul for the same foolish and false doctrines.

Matthew 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Matthew 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
Matthew 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Matthew 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Salvation comes from faith through God's grace ALONE. None are worthy but we can all be saved if we ask The Father for forgiveness with repentance in our hearts. Follow these two commandements as a result of your salvation and no other law will apply to you. The Law leads onlt to death. No man is saved by law. This is the milk. You can get milk from sheep though it can come no sweeter than it does from The Word. Seek Him in scripture if you doubt.

Dskmn
11-09-01, 07:39 PM
Orthodox is almost the same as Catholic, the ceremony's are just as important and practically in the same order....

Christ_t_alone:
"These ceremonial things only matter if you're a Catholic."

Andrew
11-09-01, 08:08 PM
Dskmn,

Just seek God, trust the Holy Spirit's leading, and then follow it. And never treat the ceremonies or ordinances as rituals. eg i was infant baptised. but at age 32, i felt something was missing and wanted to be water baptised by immersion again. my former church didnt allow that but my new one did. it weighed on my heart for many months. so i just went ahead and did it. then felt the release.

As for prayer time, i pray on my great white throne (when i'm sitting on the toilet bowl), i pray when i'm driving to work, working down the street etc. it doesn't always have to be on your knees in a room or church, and it doesnt always have to be "OH HEAVENLY FATHER LORD GOD ALMIGHTY, I COMETH TO YOU...." just keep it simple and from your heart. eg DADDY/PAPA GOD... and just jump into his lap and talk to him, sometimes no words are okay too, just lean on him.

God bless

7th
11-10-01, 12:11 AM
Well said.

Dskmn
11-10-01, 01:56 AM
thanks Andrew, nice way to put things....(lol @ white throne)

Christ_†_Alone
11-10-01, 05:02 AM
Corrections in order here...

When I said "the Lord commanded 2 things" what I meant was, that He gave His church 2 ordinances... 2 things every believer is obligated to do, and will do out of love for their Redeemer:

Baptism

Baptism is an ordinance of the Lord Jesus, obligatory upon every believer, wherein he is immersed in water in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, as a sign of his fellowship with the death and resurrection of Christ, of remission of sins, and of his giving himself up to God, to live and walk in newness of life.

The Lord's Supper

The Lord's Supper is an ordinance of Jesus Christ, to be administered with the elements of bread and wine, and to be observed by his churches till the end of the world. It is in no sense a sacrifice, but is designed to commemorate his death, to confirm the faith and other graces of Christians, and to be a bond, pledge and renewal of their communion with him, and of their church fellowship.

If the additional ceremonies are part of church doctrines, and are important to folks, so be it, but they were never instituted by the Lord, they are simply traditions of men, within the church.

7th - you have this tendency to say insulting things to folks, and then assure them no offense was intended. I would advise you to make an effort to be less insulting in the future here.

Walking with Christ Jesus is not about church ceremonies and church protocol. If these things ARE important to someone, they will need to check with their local Catholic, Orthodox, Episcopalian, or Lutheran (or whatever else) church, that offers these ceremonies.

Fledge
11-10-01, 09:30 AM
Ceremonial things are basically left up to the believer. They can be beneficial, and important in the life of a Christian, but they are not absolutely necessary.

Besides, this was a prayer thread, so I will answer the prayer question.

I pray in the shower, I pray when I drive, I pray before I go to bed, I pray when I am standing in a line waiting to place an order for lunch. There are many, MANY times and places when I have a moment or two. Yes, I also make time to sit and read my Bible and have a "heart to heart talk" with God, but I can't (or don't) do that every single day. Maybe I should...but I don't use the "I don't have time to pray" excuse, because we all have time.

Maybe that helped a little too. Of course, most of it was a recount of what others had said!

Brandan
11-10-01, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by 7th
Don't mind her, Peter....
...a gentle ram has never existed amidst the flocks :rolleyes:

CA,

No offence at all is meant by this. Please take none.

7th, please stop the insults. CA is the co-administrator here at 5solas.org, and you instructing Peter to "not mind her" is very bad advice. I suggest that everyone, if they are going to stay on this forum and post, had better respect our authority. Also, you shall respect other people of differing theological opinions even if you don't agree with them.

7th, it's ok to tell someone they are flat out wrong, a heretic, whatever. But facetious remarks like, "a gentle ram has never existed admistd the flocks :rolleyes:," won't be tolerated.

Also, I would like to remind everyone who insists on debating the "5 solas" or the "5 points of Calvinism" with us that this site IS dedicated to these 10 points, and it's pointless to try and change our minds to fit your theological interpretation. If you are here just to do battle with us, please kindly leave.

Thank you.

justGina
11-10-01, 12:21 PM
Go Brandan! :cool:

7th
11-10-01, 12:25 PM
...to my Father with my peace returned to me. You would rather me call her a heratic than to say of her station:

Originally posted by 7th
Unruly and wilfull as they may be there are none better to protect the flocks in the absence of a shepherd or a sheep dog.

Further you send me back with a message back to Him saying:

Originally posted by kermie
I would like to remind everyone who insists on debating the "5 solas" or the "5 points of Calvinism" with us that this site IS dedicated to these 10 points, and it's pointless to try and change our minds...

Because the 'administrators' declare this to be a place where human law and Calvinism are above Christ's laws and teachings they consider this to be a place where the authority of man is considered higher than the authority of God. I will indeed leave because I know of no such place. I will not return unless I am sent again or asked to return.

blackhaw
11-10-01, 12:46 PM
brandon:

"Also, I would like to remind everyone who insists on debating the "5 solas" or the "5 points of Calvinism" with us that this site IS dedicated to these 10 points, and it's pointless to try and change our minds to fit your theological interpretation. If you are here just to do battle with us, please kindly leave. "

Everybody knows we have battled thesee theological posittions and i do not want to do it here. I just have to say to you and anyone else that this kind of dogmatic response makes the athiests and your opponents look better. It just shows that you never wanted to look at any other points or postitions. That you just wanted to prove your own answer however you could. Taht you did not even try to see if the other person could be right at all. Now I understand theological conviction and that you do not want to just debate again and again such things but this post seems like it is more than that. I do not want to post on a board where people are just telling each other what they want to hear and anyone who disagrees is told to leave. That is all i have to say. If this gets me banned from the board. So be it. What do you say Brandon?

blackhaw

Christ_†_Alone
11-10-01, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by 7th

1.You would rather me call her a heratic ....

2. Further you send me back with a message back to Him ...

3. Because the 'administrators' declare this to be a place where human law and Calvinism are above Christ's laws...

4. I will not return unless I am sent again or asked to return...

I'll address your comments point by point:

1. Yes, Brandan would rather you call me a heretic, IF you believe me to be one, than to slide in here with snickering little jabs about "don't mind her" and rest of that ugly remark.

If I believed your teachings to be wrong, I would say flat out "I believe your teachings to be wrong" I would not say "oh don't mind him, he's just an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about". Surely you can see the difference??

2. No, no one sent you anywhere with a message to the Lord, the message was to YOU.

3. The 5 points that make up the doctrines of grace, aka TULIP, and the 5 points that make up the 5 Solas, are 100% founded on the very WORD of God, not any teaching of man. I'm sorry you cannot see that, but maybe by His grace someday you will.

4. You, or anyone else, regardless of theological standing, are more than welcome to post here, all day long if you want to, AS LONG AS you practice showing respect. Not only for the administrators of this forum, which do graciously allow the forum to be here to BEGIN with - but also to the other members here, who may not agree with your beliefs.

If you cannot respect the rules of courtesy here, then you will indeed be asked to leave, and/or banned if the need arises. Life can be stressful enough, no one wants to login to their favorite discussion forum and find bashing and trashing, personal insults and cut-downs there too.

Brandan
11-10-01, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by blackhaw
I do not want to post on a board where people are just telling each other what they want to hear and anyone who disagrees is told to leave. That is all i have to say. If this gets me banned from the board. So be it. What do you say Brandon?

blackhaw

Well, you should know this is not the case at all. I didn't appreciate the jab by 7th. That is all. There are SOME who come just to tear down the 5 solas, truth of God. Those people will not be tolerated, as they only come to cause division and strife. If you really feel these people should stay, well, too bad.

I do not want to post on a board where people are just telling each other what they want to hear and anyone who disagrees is told to leave. Me neither. If you feel that this is taking place here, than according to your words, you should not be posting. Also, I'd like to interrupt your little spiel and ask that you mind your own business regarding how this forum is run... That is all.

Brandan