PDA

View Full Version : hell?

JC FR3AK
12-18-01, 03:06 PM
Some Christians doubt the existance of hell. How can they do this when there ar so many clear references to it in scrpture? Am I missing something?

GRANTM
12-18-01, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by JC FR3AK
Some Christians doubt the existance of hell. How can they do this when there ar so many clear references to it in scrpture? Am I missing something?

According to some scholars,

Many of the newer translations of Bible omit that word "hell"
because of the original meaings of the greek translations.
Remember that after the decline of the roman empire, Europe
was in The "Dark Ages" and were nothing more than City-States
and protective cantons, real education was mostly a forgotten
tool and as such the general populous was mostly ignorant and had to rely on the now secularized clergy for the education,
Where the word "hell" comes from is Celtic/Norse Hel only one L
wher all the dead go for judgement and if it was in glorious battle next stop Valhalla, As Celtic/ Norse beliefs were the second strongest in Europeat that time, And well After the Catholic split
(Orthodoxy- Roman) both those Churches to get converts. were notorious for adapting, Local Customs & Beliefs, to suit their
needs for converts.

Remember Language is fluid, even within the same language,
word meanings change
just as an example
IF I said Fifty years ago" I am Gay" That would be that I am Happy
but today......

So just try to imagine the problems of translation interpretations, from language to laguage to language, interpret meanings, messages , etc, and over a period of 2000 years,

Heck. Yanks, even Spell differently than we crazy Canuks.

Debbiek
01-08-02, 10:14 PM
Even though the Bible mentions the word"hell" 54 times, people don't believe it because they are defiled by false teaching. Spiritually influenced in the wrong way by the wrong spirits, as if they were blinded. 1Cor 2:14-" A person who does not have the Spirit does not accept the truths that come from the Spirit of God. That person thinks they are foolish, and cannot understand them, because they can only be judged to be true by the Spirit.15-16-The spiritual person is able to judge all things, but no one can judge him. The Scripture says:" Who has known the mind of the Lord? Who has been able to teach him? But we have the mind of Christ."

GRANTM
01-09-02, 05:12 PM
Hades is the Greek equivalent of the Hebrew term “Sheol,” which refers in general to the place of the dead. In some translations it is translated 'hell'.The word Sheol occurs sixty-five times in the Hebrew Bible. The King James Version translates thirty-one of the occurrences as “hell”; another thirty-one occurrences as “grave”; and three occurrences as “pit” The Septuagint—the earliest Greek translation of the Old Testament—used hades to translate the Hebrew word Sheol.“Gehenna,” more precisely refers to hell.

Hades: Is from greek mythology,

Newer versions of the Bible, Mostly use the term as Burial place

Gerneral Thought was that "Hell" is located inside the Earth, and the thought being eruptions of volcanoes,"Lake of fire"
being translated thusly.