PDA

View Full Version : Basic Questions

Kathleen
10-04-01, 11:16 AM
I wasn't quite sure where to post this....
but I have some simple questions that I wouldn't mind everybody answering (if you feel like it).

DO YOU BELIEVE THE BIBLE HAS BEEN ALTERED?

IF YOUR ANSWER IS 'YES'..HOW COMFORTABLE SHOULD ONE BE WHEN THEIR FAITH IS SOLELY BASED ON SCRIPTURE?

WHO WRITES DOCTRINES? SAINTS? REGULAR PEOPLE?

HOW DO YOU DIFFERENTIATE BETWEEN GOD'S WILL AND FREE WILL?????

DO THE REFORMED BELIEVE IN THE HOLY SPIRIT?

Please...do not take this the wrong way. I would really like to hear what you have to say.

Please & Thanks
God Bless You All.

Fledge
10-04-01, 03:55 PM
In answer to the question of the Bible being altered?
No. I don't think it has in essence. True, several hundred years ago they transcribed the Bible by hand and small errors have probably been made. it is only natural. A comma left out here, word misspelled there. But the essence of the scriptures, what it says, what it means has not been altered in my opinion. I believe God has preserved His word.

NOW...that is not to say that there aren't some bad translations out there, so you do need to be careful which translations you use. (And I am NOT trying to get into a translation discussion here) Just look into the versions, do a little study on it. And frankly, even though KJV is not my favorite translation...when in doubt just use it. It has stood the test of time and is generally very highly regarded.

Personally, I like KJV, NKJV, NASB, and NIV. To me, they are all good and give good insights from slightly different wordings. I use several translations when studying in order to get a good understanding of the intent of the scripture.

The answers to the other questions you posted. HMMMM...
lemme get back to you on those.
OK?
:)

Christ_†_Alone
10-04-01, 05:53 PM
1. DO YOU BELIEVE THE BIBLE HAS BEEN ALTERED?

In content, no. The same gospel message, and the same teachings about who God is, who we are, and what our duty to Him, is exactly as He inspired it to be. Spelling, language and grammar aside, God has preserved His precious word.

2. IF YOUR ANSWER IS 'YES'..HOW COMFORTABLE SHOULD ONE BE WHEN THEIR FAITH IS SOLELY BASED ON SCRIPTURE?

Well, my answer wasn't yes, per se, but if anyone's faith is based solely on Scripture, and not by the changed heart, they've got some issues to deal with.

3. WHO WRITES DOCTRINES? SAINTS? REGULAR PEOPLE?

Biblical doctrines (teachings) were written by men, as moved by the Holy Spirit. There isn't a teaching in the Bible, that God didn't want to be there.

Church doctrines on the other hand, are written by men, as moved by their love for the Lord. There is a big difference here, since men make mistakes, and the Lord doesn't.

4. HOW DO YOU DIFFERENTIATE BETWEEN GOD'S WILL AND FREE WILL?????

I don't believe the Scriptures teach us that we have a free will in the first place.

5. DO THE REFORMED BELIEVE IN THE HOLY SPIRIT?

Of course we do... I'm curious what would cause you to think we might not?

HIS
10-04-01, 07:13 PM

Answer: The Bible teaches that it is infallible—never wrong; incapable of error; not subject to mistake or failure. It is neither misleading nor misled. It is a reliable, trustworthy guide in all matters.

2. WHO WRITES DOCTRINES? SAINTS? REGULAR PEOPLE?

Answer: All doctrine comes directly from Scripture (2 Tim 3:16). Christians may write commentary on it, but unless it fully agrees with the Book, it is just commentary and subject to a curse from God (Gal 1:8,9).

3. HOW DO YOU DIFFERENTIATE BETWEEN GOD'S WILL AND FREE WILL?

Answer: God’s Word reveals his will to man. He also speaks to us in a few other ways (i.e., still small voice, through his ministry, etc.). All “other ways” must lead back to His written Word. Anything contrary to the message in His Word needs to be reconsidered. This does not mean we are “forced” into serving Him. When you are truly being led by His Spirit your are free indeed.

4. DO THE REFORMED BELIEVE IN THE HOLY SPIRIT?

Answer Not sure what a reformist is . . . All who call themselves “Christian” must believe in the Holy Spirit.

God bless... :)

HIS

Andrew
10-04-01, 10:40 PM

NO. But there are inaccurate translations here and there, where the true meaning or impact has been lost. I've noticed this since I started attending Bible Study services. I find NIV the worst (since I use one). Solution: Get a Greek/Hebrew Lexicon or come under annointed teaching.

My faith is not based on scripture but Jesus in the sense that you can know the Word inside out but not get anything out.

2. WHO WRITES DOCTRINES?

Dont know. I guess theologians, Bible scholars, Pastors, evangelists etc.

3. HOW DO YOU DIFFERENTIATE BETWEEN GOD'S WILL AND FREE WILL?

Depends on how you define the terms.

4. DO THE REFORMED BELIEVE IN THE HOLY SPIRIT?

How can they not believe when He's living in them.

God bless!

HIS
10-04-01, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Andrew My faith is not based on scripture but Jesus in the sense that you can know the Word inside out but not get anything out.

Friendly reminder:

You cannot separate GOD from His Word. JESUS is the Word of God. If you truly know Jesus, then His Word can (should) be revealed unto you. I would question someone's knowledge of the Scriptures (inside out) if they did not truly "know Jesus" they way you say a person should know HIM. :)

I think I understand what you are trying to say in your posting. I just had to add the disclaimer...Hope you don't mind. ;)

God bless...

HIS

Kathleen
10-05-01, 01:50 PM
Hmmm...interesting answers!

:)

...God Bless!