PDA

View Full Version : Fat Tuesday, Mardi Gras

gsr
02-02-02, 11:19 AM
Should Christians participate in Fesival? Are Spring fertility rites and festivals found as Hebrew/Jewish or Christian celebrations in Scripture? Should Christian celebrate the pagan gods of debauchery or with debauchery? Should things done behind a mask be considered "innocent" just because the spirit is "freed" by the use of the mask. Is/are Osiris, Luprecalia, Bacchus, and/or Dionysus in the Christian pantheon? Should the Church ever bow to the pagan culture around it? Does denomination church approval remove the origins and the meanings of what is really celebrated during this time?

members.home.net/dalsoil/MARDI10.html
ww.exposingsatanism.org/mardi_gras.htm
www.worthynews.com/news-f...-gras.html
www.web-holidays.com/mardi/
www.eastjeffersonparish.c...istory.htm
www.mardigrasgalveston.co...story.html
www.carnaval.com/cityguides/dating.htm
www.mardigrascoconuts.com...i_Gras.htm
www.nisbett.com/holidays/contents.htm
www.giveshare.org/HolyDay...idays.html

Peter
02-13-02, 03:01 PM
Fat Tuesday? No. Lent? Yes. This is a practice of the Church from Jesus himself. (understand that Lent is a time of fasting.) Jesus fasted. He taught His disciples to fast properly. He even taught them a prayer position.

Matt. 6:16 "When you fast..." not "if you fast".

Matt. 6:17 "But, when you fast..."

Mark 11:25 "And whenever you stand praying..."

The Church has much to teach us.

gsr
06-04-02, 05:18 PM
Jesus still did not celebrate the fertility gods and goddesses of His day. He did fast. And New passover would be well entered with a fast. But why bring in the pagan roots into the church?

Quill
06-06-02, 10:39 AM
Q. Should Christians participate in Festival?
A. I am not very familiar with the practices typically found in the Mardi Gras festival (I assume that's the one you're referring to), but some of the things I have heard make it extremely suspect to me. As Christians, we are called to act in a Christ-like fashion at all times, and to give no one a cause to reproach us.

Q. Are Spring fertility rites and festivals found as Hebrew/Jewish or Christian celebrations in Scripture?
A. No. There were fertility rites and festivals in the pagan nations surrounding Israel, as there were in the Greco-Roman culture where Christianity spread the Good News, but fertility rites and festivals are completely contrary to Scriptural teaching concerning the God ("Worship the Lord your God and serve him only"), sex ("You shall not commit adultery," "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit ... therefore, do not dishonor God with your body"), the dignity of each man and woman, the sacredness of the family, etc. Even a brief glance through the major and minor prophets of the Old Testament will show God's wrath against any nation (including Israel, when she was acting in apostasy) that participated in fertility rites and festivals.

Q. Should Christian celebrate the pagan gods of debauchery or with debauchery?
A. Never and never. We are to worship the Lord our God and serve him alone; we are to be holy, as he is holy.

Q. Should things done behind a mask be considered "innocent" just because the spirit is "freed" by the use of the mask.
A. You rightly put those words in quotes. Why would an action be right or wrong depending on whether or not you knew who was acting, or whether or not you were wearing a mask or not? Murder is not excusable just because the murderer wears a ski mask. Morality is never relative: God warns people severely in Scripture against calling good evil, or evil, good. Scripture tells us clearly that we shall be called to account even for every careless word we utter -- regardless of whether we are wearing a mask.

Q. Is/are Osiris, Luprecalia, Bacchus, and/or Dionysus in the Christian pantheon?
A. There is no Christian pantheon, so the answer is no. We serve one God in three Persons: a Trinity.

Q. Should the Church ever bow to the pagan culture around it?
A. Never. We are called to be in the world, but not of it. Scripture teaches that we are to "render to Caesar that which is Caesar's, and to God that which is God's." We are to submit to governing authorities (Romans 13), be good citizens, and pray for our country (Jeremiah). However, we are not to partake of their deeds of darkness; we are to fight against the evil all around us. And if government and God come into conflict, we must follow the Lord alone, but be sure to do so in a manner that glorifies him.

Q. Does denomination church approval remove the origins and the meanings of what is really celebrated during this time?
A. I'm not quite sure what's being asked here.

Just a note on Lent ... Lent wasn't actually taught by Jesus. Jesus taught the importance of fasting and prayer, but both were to be regular parts of the Christian life -- not relegated to the season of Lent. Lent is a season of self-examination and self-denial (which developed in the early Church) to prepare for the celebration of the Crucifixion and Resurrection. Fasting and prayer are especially key to these disciplines.

Regarding your last post on fertility gods and goddeses, New passover (I'm not familiar with this term but I'm assuming a non-Christian origin), and pagan roots, be advised once again that we are called to serve God alone, and live lives holy unto him.

Peace in Christ --

pjm