PDA

View Full Version : What Belief?

Starfleet
02-04-02, 10:26 PM
Hello Everyone: :p

I am new here. So, I just want to know what people believe here and why they believe it. This is so I can get to know who is a Christian and who is an agnostic, and so forth on this forum.

I am a Christian. I believe in the existence of God and the Resurrection of Jesus because of the inner testimony of the Holy Spirit in me and the external evidences that support that inner testimony.

How about you? ;)

Stabby
02-05-02, 12:24 AM
welcome to the forums Star

Stabby------------------------

Starfleet
02-05-02, 10:12 AM
Thanks for your reply :D

Anyone else out there?

Tyr
02-06-02, 08:10 AM
Live long and prosper Starfleet. (I love Star Trek)

I have been called an athiest by many, but its not true. I do believe that there is something, but as to what it is I am not sure. For all I know what we call heaven and God could be higher form of existence, evolution if you will. I find it hard to hand over my life to a higher being. I am the one who is responsible for my life and actions and if I want something I go and make it happen. I don't feel praying is all that constructive. I prefer action to reaction, if something is going to happen, it will be by my hand. I'm not trying to call into question anyones beliefs. Im here to learn and maybe learn something about myself as well.

Starfleet
02-06-02, 09:16 AM
Hello Tyr: :D

Whats up :p

Tyr's Quote:
I have been called an athiest by many, but its not true. I do believe that there is something, but as to what it is I am not sure.

It sounds like you are agnostic. You just don't know what to believe. This is the most common form of agnotic. I was one also.

There is another form of agnostic which is to believe one "cannot" know. And there are two forms of this: (1) one cannot know any absolute truths and (2) one cannot know metaphysical absolute truths (i.e. cannot know anything about God). The problem with this though is "How can one know he cannot know anything absolutely?".

I find it hard to hand over my life to a higher being. I am the one who is responsible for my life and actions and if I want something I go and make it happen. I don't feel praying is all that constructive. I prefer action to reaction, if something is going to happen, it will be by my hand.

I understand that it is hard to hand your life over to a higher being if you are not sure if that higher being even exists. It is hard enough - due to our sinful nature - to hand our life over to God even if we believe he exists. That is why it takes prayer for God's help to get us over this difficulty.

And if you are agnostic, how can you be absolutely sure "I am the one who is responsible for my life and actions?

First Tyr: Do you believe it is possible to know God exists?

Secondly, I cannot prove to you God's existence, but I can prove to you that it is rational and plausible to believe that God exists. When and if you begin to believe it is because the Holy Spirit (Spirit of God) convinced you that God does indeed exist. Do you want to hear some of the arguments for God's existence? Have you already heard some (which ones)?

Anyway, enough said.

God bless you Tyr

Starfleet
Home of the Maple Leafs

Tyr
02-16-02, 10:29 AM
Sure Starfleet throw em at me. Just to give you a picture of my religious background, I was baptized Lutheran. My great-aunt (now deacesed) was a Sunday school teacher at the church I was baptised at and I have a cousin who is a born again Christian. From the age of 5 or 6 till I was in my early teens I had those two harasing me on a constant basis about church and religion. Moral of that story, do not force religion down the throat of young people as it may push them away instead of bringing them into the fold so to say.So now that I'm getting older in life I'm starting to search for answers to my questions.