PDA

View Full Version : New Posting Policy - Avoid Ad Hominems

Brandan
01-30-09, 02:25 PM
Please see the new posting policy. You will be asked to read and approve before you can post.

"Avoid ad hominems. One may not use phrases such as, "you do not believe the gospel", or "you believe in a false christ" to prove one's point. All attacks on an argument must be made against the argument itself - not the person making the argument."

Craig kennedy
01-31-09, 03:50 PM
Please see the new posting policy. You will be asked to read and approve before you can post.

Hi Brandon,

I applaud your new posting policy and I heartily agree with it!

I have always thought that this site was one of integrity; however, this new posting policy can only enhance and strengthen your reputation.

I have always maintained that God's real truth will always win out IN THE END. We do need to go through a lengthy process, though, of often difficult and complex discussion to begin to "scratch the surface" of God's truth.

I remember reading once that Herman Hoeksema of the PROTESTANT REFORMED CHURCHES was nearing the end of his earthly life. He was in his study and someone heard him vocalising out loud 'if God was to grant me a few more years, I might begin to understand the truth a little bit.'

The purpose of that citation is to remind us ALL that God's truth, whatever that may be in its final form, is ETERNAL IN THE HEAVENS; this fact keeps us humble and forever dependent upon the Holy Spirit to lead and guide us into that truth.

I deeply appreciate this forum for the desire to rigorously and thoroughly debate issues with SKILL and PRECISION. I have not seen better. Your new posting policy only serves to heighten this purpose and end. You have gone up even more in my estimation!

I do thank you, too, for your generosity and graciousness in allowing me to be a member of this forum.

God bless you richly, In Christ Craig

Whammer
01-31-09, 07:36 PM
2 Tim 2:24-26, (NASB)
The Lord's bond-servant must not be quarrelsome, but be kind to all, able to teach, patient when wronged,
with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth,
and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, having been held captive by him to do his will.

Eph 4: 1-32, (MKJV) (partial quotes)
I therefore, the prisoner in the Lord, beseech you that you walk worthy of the calling with which you are called,
with all lowliness and meekness, with long-suffering, forbearing one another in love,
endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
But that you, speaking the truth in love, may in all things grow up to Him who is the Head, even Christ;
from whom the whole body, fitted together and compacted by that which every joint supplies, according to the effectual working in the measure of each part, producing the growth of the body to the edifying of itself in love.
Let not any filthy word go out of your mouth, but if any is good to building up in respect of need, that it may give grace to the ones hearing.
And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you are sealed until the day of redemption.
Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and tumult and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice.
And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake has forgiven you.

I wholeheartedly agree also, I have seen these deeds of the old man which are sinful come from my own mouth and am thankful for the repentance given me by the Holy Spirit. I want to be tenderhearted and forgiving with my brethren and longsuffering.
I am also praying still that the Lord will teach me how to speak properly in His presence so that my words dont become a stumbling block or an offense, and that I take time to re-read my posts better in prayer, our real enemy always wants to see brethren divided, he is a master of re-communicating our words to others in a twisted way and before we know it, we have ended up in a place we never imagined things would go.

So may our Lord, pour out His Spirit of love even more this year to all His sheep so that we "love in deed and truth", not merely in word.
And also by the grace of God, may he strengthen us to be genuine in all we speak to one another as we "put off the old man".....truth in love!:)

MCoving
02-01-09, 02:29 AM
I completely understand this, and I know I've said things like this before but I always try and not attack the person themselves but the idea. Because even though some one may for a time believe something that I think is false, or even a false gospel that doesn't necessarily mean they are not our brother, there's a lot of other factors and one really needs to know a person to know for sure. However, we are still allowed to point out what ideas and teachings are false as long as we dont say YOU, but I dont agree with that and believe its a false gospel, and this is why. Thats okay right? Just have to be careful of our wording and not making it personal but discussing the belief itself.

Krablessed1973
02-01-09, 09:46 AM
This new posting policy as was said before can only make your reputation on the internet better. It is one thing to have strong views on biblical doctrine. It is another to be making statements that bring a stumbling block upon another person in order to "prove" a point.

We have to bare in mind that what we know is brought about by the pure grace of God, and not our own abilities. All our abilities are from God as well. So it is all God.

The point to remember is that our position as disciples of Christ is demonstrated by our love for one another. That is, a love that comes from God.

Calvinator
02-04-09, 08:34 AM
This new restriction leaves me with using logic, reason and Scripture to argue or defend a theological position. :D

Craig kennedy
02-04-09, 04:54 PM
This new restriction leaves me with using logic, reason and Scripture to argue or defend a theological position. :D

Absolutely, Calvinator; you have hit the nail on the head! Very precisely and well said! This is, also, my position entirely.

God will be glorified through this approach! The truth - whatever that is, in its final form - will always REMAIN UNCHANGING and will ALWAYS WIN OUT IN THE END.

Amen!

Blessings In Christ, Craig

hfsturges
02-06-09, 06:06 PM
No "ad hominem" comments! Actually an excellent idea. People who stoop to such comments do so because they don't have a good response to a previous comment.

Now a "tongue in cheek" comment (NOT ad hominem attack!) I notice that the "net administrator" who originated or re-inforced this rule made this comment: "Mean, Harsh, and Arrogant" Sounds kinda Ad Hominem to me! I guess he can get away with it as he directs it to himself !!!

Seriously, though, when you disagree with a person the best response is for you to make a counter-proposal of what you believe is the truth. This can then be the basis for further courteous discussion, and maybe even of learning from each other. (Pretty diffucilt in a forum! All those harde-headed *&#$+@) How can you tell them anything at all, when they all know that they are right!
----------------------------
Hubert F. Sturges

Calvinator
02-06-09, 08:32 PM
How can you tell them anything at all, when they all know that they are right!
All one can do is tell the truth. For it is God that converts.

hfsturges
02-06-09, 08:55 PM
Calvinator,

Right you are. The best answer to error is to tell the truth. However, it is not the ONLY answer.

When Jesus was on earth, He spent His time healing and teaching -- teaching the truth. But there were also times when He vigorously exposed error. Most famous are those occasions when He pronounced woes on the Pharisees, then when he corrected the Sadducees with "Ye know not the scriptures nor the power of God." Then there was His parable of the husbandmen through which the Jews were warned that God would take away their kingdom and give it to another.

One might immediately reply that Jesus had "supernatural information" on which he could justly respond in that way. We l l l , no and yes. Jesus lived on this earth as a man, and met all situations as a man. He depended heavily on His Heavenly Father, in the same way that we humans have the privilege to do. He spent sometime nights in prayer. I believe that in those sessions of prayer, God gave Him special knowledge of what was to happen the next day.

What would happen if we, too, spent time in prayer as Jesus did? Don't get me wrong. There is no way that another human can ever be another Jesus. However, if a Christian would pray as Jesus did, it would change his life, and might change the world!

Hubb

Calvinator
02-06-09, 08:59 PM
Exposing error, correcting and the like is all part of telling the truth.

Brandan
02-09-09, 05:41 AM
The discussion that took place in this thread has moved to here: http://www.predestinarian.net/showthread.php?t=5432

Bob Higby
02-10-09, 09:59 AM
Based on the discussion that has taken place, I think a clarification to the new policy is already needed.

The avoidance of ad hominem arguments in no way implies that all who post here within the forum rules must be acknowledged as regenerate brothers by the facilitators and all other posters. It simply means that no contributor may advance a point against someone based on an argument that the opponent is 'unregenerate', 'slow of mind', 'a sloppy exegete', 'engaging in a ministry of hate', or any other name-calling label. The standard is that all posters must present arguments using biblical and historical evidence as the sole basis of a conclusion, to the best of each person's God-given wisdom.

The issue of what constitutes who should be acknowledged as 'brethren' is a separate one and not what the purpose of the new policy is about. If other facilitators see this differently I am more than happy to continue discussion on it.

Bro. Bob

GraceAmbassador
02-16-09, 11:02 PM
Since this forum provides its writers a "spell checker" can we please consider an "infraction" the constant, repetitive, recidivist, willful, deliberate, careless disregard for the English orthography?

I mean, one misspell here and there is tolerable, but too many of them, and in one paragraph is almost telling us that we are "ignorant anyway, incapable of discerning good or bad writing and that this forum, perhaps does not deserve carelessness". It is almost as if one assumes that there is not a need for good writing skills here and that anyone here accepts anything...

I only mean to the recidivists and since the Forum provides a spell check.

I hope I am understood...

Milt

Brandan
02-17-09, 04:37 AM
I wasn't aware of a spell checker. :) Are you using a browser plugin? LOL

GraceAmbassador
02-17-09, 11:25 AM
I wasn't aware of a spell checker. :) Are you using a browser plugin? LOL

Sorry... but since the beginning you had recommended the Ispell from IE. Also, all the other browsers, Chrome, FireFox and Safari come with a spell checker.

I'm sorry if I assumed it was available. My apologies.

Milt

Calvinator
02-17-09, 08:44 PM
Nun uv us nedes a spel chekker heer!

GraceAmbassador
02-18-09, 08:54 AM
Ue schuld larn espanish becose inglish ue all reddy noous....