PDA

View Full Version : Mystery religions

gsr
10-13-01, 10:10 AM
Since ancient times, polytheists have held versions of what some call mystery religions. The basic elements are a creator or major god, the death of the major god, and the rebirth of the major god through the major goddess. A modern form of this is seen in Roman Catholicism, God the Father, Jesus, the reborn Father, and Mary the godess. Egypt had a similar triumvirate or father Horus, son Seb and mother Isis. At the tower of Babel, this was taken from the lives of the father Nimrod, the son Tammuz, and mother Semeramis. Religions of this form are or have been worldwide and independent of language or cultural barriors.

Fledge
10-13-01, 10:43 AM
ok

Christ__Alone
10-13-01, 01:02 PM
Hi gsr,

It really shouldn't strike anyone as TOO strange, that man-made religion should try and duplicate what is of God.

The problem is, the second you compare the roman cath. church structure and teachings, with Babylonian god/goddess worship, even non-catholics who haven't got a clue what rome really teaches, will get a little nervous, and even defensive.

Myself, I knew nothing about what they taught, until just a few years ago, when I began to question some catholic friends on certain teachings. I got 5 different answers to the same question, so I decided to search these things out myself in the church's own documents, such as Vatican 2, The RC Cathechism, and some of their 'prayer books'.

Needless to say, I was shocked at just HOW unbiblical the RC church really is.

I'm not so sure why it's called "mystery religion"... to me, it's just the same old god/goddess worship that's been around for thousands of years.

Pilgrim
10-14-01, 07:16 AM
Babylonian mysteries ...........it's secretive, the child born out of fornification becomes god, the father incarnate. Confession - what is said in private was used in secret against the one who confessed. Satan plots to take the throne of God and this Babyloniain mystery is the core of the RC and the Pope is the foremost moral/religious authority on earth. It is more powerful than protestantism, it's ecumenical sweep has got most faiths aligned, the Pope was responsible for the fall of communism in Poland. Only 200 years ago it was disbanded by Napoleon. The mortal wound has healed.

Mystery.....Babylonian evil masquerading as good as the true religion. It wants to sit in the temple of God showing itself to be God. We worship on the RC Sunday which Constantine instituted, origianally when the pagans worshipped the sun . We celebrate Tamuz's birthday on Christmas.

I have said this before.........we must dump everything that is not Biblical including Sunday.

KnightCommander
10-17-01, 09:38 PM
interesting...hmm

Pilgrim
10-19-01, 08:25 PM
Yes, all the way or not at all.

It raises a whole new question. The Bible says of those at the end of time..." let those who are holy be holy still and those who are righteous be righteous still..." In other words for those living when Christ comes, He will give you immortality which you do not yet have BUT you would have had holiness and righteousness before He comes.

So all the way or not at all.....a mighty truth

blackhaw
10-20-01, 06:00 AM
Ok I read this thread but I am confused as to what it s about. if it is about the mystery religions then I know some things about them. At least about the ones in Rome. They dealt with the harvest cycle. Their gods died and came back to life in winter and spring respecitvely. They had many things that in words sounds like Christianity but really is not. For example their gods death and rebirth compared to Jesus death on the cross and ressurection. Also there is a question of when they started and when certain doctrines were introduced. Some say that they adopted a lot of doctrine from Christianity other say it was the opposite. I think that the mystery religions doctrines although sounding similiar to Christianity really are not the same at all. I do not know when they began certain doctrines but since I d onot think that they have the same doctrines of Christianity at all that does not really mattter as much.

I hope all this made sense. it is very early in the morning and I got very little sleep last night.

Pilgrim
10-20-01, 09:14 AM
Their doctrines are similar that it is mistaken for Christianity. Ask anyone and they will tell you that Roman Catholicsm is Christian. But the truth is that it is not Biblical at all. Example Christ is the only one who can forgive sins, but the RC priests say they can> In fact according to them they are the only true church.

Is this important? US presidents court the power of Catholicsm thru the Pope. Tony Blair now goes to a Catholic Church. Did you see the millions that turned out when the pope visited Indonesia, a Muslim nation!

Word Walker
10-24-01, 05:01 PM
This has always been an interesting subject and one that can get very deep. I've done a few studies on these ancient religions in reagrds to their similarities to Christianity and what I've found in every case is that these religions tend to have there terminology and aspect altered in such a way that they are similar only on the surface to Christianity. Any real study however will show the differences between them.

An example is Mithraism. As I don't have much time right now I will give only one example. It is said by some that Both Jesus and Mithra were born of a virgin but when you look into the actual history of each you see that Jesus was born of a virgin woman whereas Mithra came forth from a rock. Although it's quite posssible that this rock was a virgin I seriously doubt that a true parallelism can be form between the two on the basis of this.

In any case, my recomendation to any who wish to get involved in this discussion. Be prepared to study the histories of the, so called, similar religions

blackhaw
10-25-01, 10:09 AM
excellent post Word Walker. It is always amazing to me to see skeptics take the mystery religions and claim that Christians got their doctrines from them. They must really just want to defunk Christianity so badly that they cling ot anything that could in anyway go against Christians. The terrible thing is that many Christians do not study. They hear the skeptics and then just believe them without really looking to see if they are correct or not. It is a real shame.

Word Walker
10-25-01, 10:34 AM
BlackHaw (Or is it BlackHawk?) It is true. It is a shame that people don't study more, especially considering the vast amounts of information available to us through the internet and the instructions of the Bible where it says.

2 Timothy 2:14-15 Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers. Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Jeremiah 5:3 O LORD, are not thine eyes upon the truth? thou hast stricken them, but they have not grieved; thou hast consumed them, but they have refused to receive correction: they have made their faces harder than a rock; they have refused to return. Take ye heed every one of his neighbour, and trust ye not in any brother: for every brother will utterly supplant, and every neighbour will walk with slanders. And they will deceive every one his neighbour, and will not speak the truth: they have taught their tongue to speak lies, and weary themselves to commit iniquity. Thine habitation is in the midst of deceit; through deceit they refuse to know me, saith the LORD.

(Sound familiar?)

John 3:21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

So do truth and let the Light of God shine forth to fill the eyes and ears and hearts of those who would listen.