PDA

View Full Version : A question on dealing with attitudes

Christ__Alone
10-15-01, 09:24 AM
I have very recently been made aware of a situation, that has left me feeling sick to my stomach.

Without too much boring detail, what it boils down to, is the issue of being two-faced. This is a group of people who claim to be Christians, preach the gospel, quote the Bible consistantly, yet, at the same time, speak hurtful words, make a mockery of holy living, and tear folks down and LAUGH about it. By claiming it's all in the name of "fun" they justify it.

They have been rebuked, have been told this is wrong (and should know it anyway), and been told that it's hurtful, and yet they persist. Knowing that it hurts people, has absolutely no impact on them, at all, outwardly. (I have no idea if the Holy Spirit is convicting them inwardly, but their actions say He is NOT).

Out of one side of their mouths they say one thing, and out of the other side of their mouths they speak just the opposite.

Everyone deals with people like this, at one point or another in life... maybe someone here is even dealing with someone like this now?

My question is, Biblically, how do we deal with people like this? Keeping in mind these are people who claim to be of the household of faith.

Someone suggested that if you're in a situation like this, you pray for the offensive party... and I agree, but beyond prayer, what is there that can be done?

Please feel free to share your insight on this... it may help more than you know.

Brandan
10-15-01, 09:53 AM
But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner -- not even to eat with such a one (I Corinthians 5:11)

Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. (Romans 16:17)

Maybe we should practice the Amish doctrine of shunning....

Christ__Alone
10-15-01, 10:18 AM
That's an interesting instruction in Romans 16:17, but the following verse tells us WHY:

For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

So people that fall into that category of causing strife and division, are really not believers at all, but deceivers?

Brandan
10-15-01, 10:57 AM
Yes... You are correct.

blackhaw
10-15-01, 06:14 PM
CA
Although I think Kermie verses are more applicable for your situation i think the verses below can shed some light also. The verses deal with church discipline. They are very practical.

matt 18:15-20

"Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. But if he will not hear [thee, then] take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell [it] unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican. Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.
For where two or three are gathered together in my
name, there am I in the midst of them."

Kathleen
10-18-01, 02:44 PM
Hey CA

this is wierd..I came here today to ask for views and opinions on this very matter (I do value your opinion)..I've been facing these 'types' alot lately. Funny, you beat me to it j/j! It's can get really frustrating you know..it's very hard.

God Bless