PDA

View Full Version : Attitudes

Fledge
10-03-01, 09:24 AM
SO, why is it that so many Christians have the attitude of "I'm better than you" even toward other Christians?

Shouldn't we ba as Christ taught us to be...humble, and a servant?

It just seems that Christians have, all to often, poor attitudes or are so egotistical or self serving.

Brandan
10-03-01, 11:30 AM
Well, all I can say is we're all recovering pharisees...

jhamrick
10-03-01, 11:56 AM
I've gotta agree with you here Fledge. It's always something that makes us the slightest bit different that we use to say we are more loved by God.

I think the world would be a better place if we spent less time telling people what we believe and spend more time showing them:)

Of course, I'm a major hypocrate, 'cause here I am on this discussion board ith the sole purpose of telling people how I believe.:confused:

Brandan
10-03-01, 12:03 PM
The purpose of this board is to Glorify God.

jhamrick
10-03-01, 12:21 PM
I was making self-depricating humor there. I kinda noticed the irony in my words as I was writing them. You know "Don't tell people your beliefs," but that is exactly what I was doing int he process. I didn't mean to dog the board, it is glorifying to God. SOrry 'bout the misunderstood humor.

Christ__Alone
10-03-01, 02:40 PM
SO, why is it that so many Christians have the attitude of "I'm better than you" even toward other Christians?

I think... maybe it's because we forget where we come from? I know I've been guilty of that, once or twice or 800 times. :(

Brandan
10-03-01, 04:07 PM
801 here.

S2Dolphin
10-03-01, 06:49 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe it is because most christians are too focused on
themselves and not on God. God commands us to live
out of the Gospel as christians and if we side step and
we try to live outside the gospel we will start acting
as i am better and holier than thou attitude which comes
straight from satan since satan comes to bring division.
Also 2ndly if we run across such people as that should
we "ASSUME" that there is a possibility that they are not
saved? or backslidden? I believe the more we dive into
the Holy Scriptures and more we spend time with God
through the Scriptures people will not have such an
attitude because the Scriptures as i view it is refreshing
like swimming in the ocean water and as it renews
heart , mind, soul, spirit and attitude as we satruate ourselves with the power of God and putting on the Armor of God. And i believe as the earthly oceans refresh us the Heavenly waters of the Scriptures not only refreshes but renews us daily since we are "in Christ."

God Bless
Michael

Fledge
10-03-01, 11:21 PM
If nothing else...perhaps we can wonder about the depth of that person's relationship with Christ.

I'm thinking also that when people get those attitudes, they may very well not even realize it. I'm sure I myself have possibly gotten an attitude at times. I try not to, but face it...I ain't perfect.

Kathleen
10-04-01, 12:36 AM

Good question...I see this alot.

Tonight for example..I was in a chat room for the first time..and I was getting this very vibe. It's not a very pleasant feeling nor does it come across as very Christian like.

It was very strange...people putting words in my mouth...and misinterpreting the things I said...strangers assuming they know my faith...people jumping to conclusions here and there....I asked a question...then I got bashed..but it's all good cuz he/she? apologized afterwards.

But this whole attitude thing has gotta go. It'll scare some people away.

GOD BLESS!

Fledge
10-04-01, 07:54 AM
Good point Kethleen, I have seen that attitude a LOT on the internet.

OR, if they don't have the "better than you" attitude, they have the "the way I believe is the ONLY way" attitude. And "if you don't believe exactly like I do, you are doomed to hell" attitude.

It really is disheartening, isn't it?

SO FAR, though...I haven't encountered it on this forum. Hope I never do.

Christ__Alone
10-04-01, 08:32 AM
I was in chat with Kat last night, and it's interesting that one saw it as a 'better than you' attitude, and one didn't.

What I saw was a man who has been delivered from false doctrine, by the grace of God, and has an amazing zeal to share the truth. He does tend to be a little hard on folks, but not from a self-righteous position, instead, it's from a God is sovereign position.

Sometimes it's real easy to misunderstand the heart of another online (lack of advantage of being able to see facial features, body language, etc.).

Fledge
10-04-01, 08:37 AM
Very True.

It is so hard online to read exactly what a speaker intends. No tone of voice, no facial expressions, no body language. All you have are words on a screen and the subtle aspects of communication aren't picked up on.

Good point.

Kathleen
10-04-01, 09:16 AM
Hello!

I was in chat with Kat last night, and it's interesting that one saw it as a 'better than you' attitude, and one didn't.

Funny...I really got that impression. He told me I was messed up.

What I saw was a man who has been delivered from false doctrine, by the grace of God, and has an amazing zeal to share the truth. He does tend to be a little hard on folks, but not from a self-righteous position, instead, it's from a God is sovereign position.

See..this is where things get dangerous. There are SO MANY people who claim to be delivered from false doctrine. They are enlightened by the truth...they have it all figured out....but who should one believe in the end?? Which 'enlightened' person(s) is to be followed?? I believing in maintaining a relationship and an understanding of God through personal account and study. My mind is hungry for everything...I want to learn it all. I respect the fact that people have different views.

Well...all I was doing last night was pretty much ASKING many questions...I wanted to see different opinions on certain issues...definitions of terms...I never said anything that was reflective of my personal faith that would deserve another person judging me. I was patient...I waited for him...the moment all other chats came to a halt...I started a chat with him again. He apologized. It's all good.

Sometimes it's real easy to misunderstand the heart of another online (lack of advantage of being able to see facial features, body language, etc.).

Oh I completely understand this...and in this case...I think both parties misunderstood eachother.

OK..that's all for now..God Bless!!!

Christ__Alone
10-04-01, 09:36 AM
hi Kat :)

when RT told you that you were 'messed up', he was referring to the free will doctrine that was being supported in the room, at the time.

And with that I agree, IT (the doctrine) IS messed up, since it's not Biblical, but a teaching of man.

I'm glad the 2 of you worked it out, and came to an understanding. That's good to hear :D

S2Dolphin
10-04-01, 10:05 AM
What is Free Will Doctrine? is it a Calvanistic doctrine?
Christ Alone, i know how scary it is going to a chat room
for first time and they can get pretty brutal with christians
especially some christians that claim they are i believe
when we go in a chat room to have all the armor of God
and let the Holy Spirit Guide us in how to answer people
especially if they have false doctrine and to correct them
i saw alot of it myself last night in a chat room i was in
it was so sad.

God bless

Kathleen
10-04-01, 11:11 AM
Hi Dolphin,

If you don't mind me asking...what exactly are you referring to?

I'm getting the feeling that people on this board 'talk around' their points...trying to 'mask' their their points possibly?

What happened to straight forwardness???

Dolphin..please forgive me if you are not understanding me...again can you explain what you meant by your last post??

THanks & God Bless!!!

Brandan
10-04-01, 11:16 AM
The doctrine of free will is not a Calvinistic doctrine.

Kathleen wrote:
I'm getting the feeling that people on this board 'talk around' their points...trying to 'mask' their their points possibly?

What happened to straight forwardness???

Could you be more specific? Thanks. ;)

Kathleen
10-04-01, 11:48 AM
Hey Kermie!

No problem...You see it all starts with last nights 'chat'. It's just strange to me. Hard to explain really. This is the deal. If I have different beliefs as say...another person...should they be judging me? I mean true say..I understand that when someone has such faith in their theology or view..it's easy to think that their way is the only way. I understand that this is the way some human beings think.

To make a long story short..gettin straight to the point...I feel that if people are trying to 'share' their views with me...they should direct it towards ME...if someone thinks that I'm not thinking properly (just because I don't think the same as they do)..they should just come out and say...KATHLEEN I SAY YOU ARE WRONG.

Just because one believes that they've been delivered from false doctrine...it doesn't mean that they should go and preach to others and claim that as God's will. This is the feeling that I am getting...do you see where I'm coming from? Why am I gettin the feeling that some think I'm about free will instead of God's will? And if I choose not to go with a 'crowd' is that me going against God's will??

I love everybody...I'm not judging anyone here. I keep my ears open to everything...wrong or right. I like to feed my brain with what my sisters and brothers are following. If someone is trying to 'convert' or 'change' me...I pray that they can come to be straight and tell me honestly from the start. I am not speaking ill of anyone behind their backs...I'm just being honest from the heart...GOD is my witness.

You know what...I think what would be great is if people would possibly provide their testimonies here...you know? Not just..theology..doctrine..etc...but personal testimony.

If I am mistaken about people's view about me...PLEASE FORGIVE MEEEE!!! Sorry..I'm just getting the feeling.

OK...well...I hope that's good for you! God Bless!

Brandan
10-04-01, 12:01 PM
lol, well I don't know about last night's chat, since I wasn't there participating. Also, most of the people who were chatting last night at CA's chat room aren't members of this forum.

The doctrine of free will teaches that man is saved because they chose to believe in Jesus. And all men instictively have that ability to choose God.

So, tell me, do you believe men have free will to choose to believe in Jesus?

Kathleen
10-04-01, 12:10 PM
Brandon...that is a really hard question to answer.
(thanks for putting me on the spot!!) nahh..just kidding.

The reason this question is hard for me is...how do you know that what YOU may take as someone's free will...is not really God's will?

If a man chooses to believe in Jesus...you take this as free will right?
Well...what if that was God's will to begin with?
It's God's choice..no?
Well how can you call it free will..if it's already God's will?
:confused:

Brandan
10-04-01, 12:16 PM
Wow, Kathleen, I'm impressed.

I do not believe man has free will. The reason we choose Christ is because He chose us.

John 6:44: No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

John 16:16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

Acts 16:14 And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard us whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul.

Gal 1:15,16 But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace, to reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen...

Eph 1:4 According as He hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love

See Also Paul's Conversion story on the Road to Damascus.....

Does man choose God? Yes... but it's because they were chosen by God.

Kathleen
10-04-01, 12:18 PM
And I agree with you 100%

Whew *wiping sweat off forehead*..hehe just kidding.
:D

God Bless

Brandan
10-04-01, 12:21 PM
Well, now let me tell you a shocker :eek: .... you're in the minority :cool:. Most Christians believe man has free will... :(

I have another question for you. Do you believe man can lose his salvation once he's been saved?

Kathleen
10-04-01, 12:41 PM
OK Brandon..tough guy! hahah..just kidding!!
;)

Well I believe that you must maintian your relationship with God.

And by that I mean...If a person believes he is 'saved' he can't then go and do whatever tickles his fancy. That would mean that he was not truly chosen to begin with..either that or they haven't come to the point in his life when it was meant to happen.

Do you get what I mean?

I believe that when one is blessed with GENUINE salvation...it is just not possible to 'fall'...his service to God will only get stronger and stronger. There is no room for losing anything.

God has such a precise plan...that's what I believe.

Is that ok?? haha
God Bless!

Brandan
10-04-01, 12:45 PM
TWO POINTS!!!! She Shoots... SHE SCORES! :D

S2Dolphin
10-04-01, 01:25 PM
You see it all starts with last nights 'chat'

Hi Kathleen, you said in another post that you were in
a chat room and i was "Agreeing" with you how people
can be incoherent in there beliefs and thinking that
theirs is the correct one. I hope that made some sense
for you Kathleeen.:)

Brandan
10-04-01, 02:29 PM
People wouldn't believe what they do if they thought they were wrong would they? Therefore, the things people believe, if you they truly believe them, believe they are correct. This is a logical assessment, and because of this assessment, they are motivated to share their truths with others because of concern, ego, etc....

If you thought what you believed was incorrect you would change it. If you thought what you believed was correct, you might feel inclined to "help" others see what you see. If you are unwilling to question the things you believe, you are in a dangerous position. :cool:

jhamrick
10-04-01, 02:36 PM
Wow Kermie,
That was very profound and true.

Christ__Alone
10-04-01, 02:40 PM
If had a habit at one time, of drinking chocolate flavored rat poison, and didn't KNOW it was rat poison, then found out, I'd no longer drink it.

If I walked up to someone who was drinking the same thing, I might be so inclined to say "whoa buddy, that stuff is deadly!" (or words to that affect), hoping they'd put it down never drink it again.

When God delivers His own from wrath, in salvation, or from false teachings, to sound Biblical teachings, there is just something IN us, that desires others to know of His grace.

Unfortunately, because we are bumbling knuckleheads much of the time, we let our flesh get in our way of delivering the message that our heart longs to share, and longs to have others benefit from, like we have.

We all do it, but thankfully we do it LESS, the closer we grow to Him.

Fledge
10-04-01, 03:49 PM
Let me get my waders out...it's getting deep in here...deeper than I thought on my original post.
But hey...it's all good!!

Kathleen
10-04-01, 04:23 PM
THANKS DOLPHIN!

I hear you loud and clear!:D

Take care and God Bless You.

Kathleen
10-04-01, 04:41 PM
If I had a habit at one time, of drinking chocolate flavored rat poison, and didn't KNOW it was rat poison, then found out, I'd no longer drink it.

..if I or somebody understands God one way.....and found out that way was the wrong way...he should no longer follow that way...THIS WHAT YOU MEAN???

If I walked up to someone who was drinking the same thing, I might be so inclined to say "whoa buddy, that stuff is deadly!" (or words to that affect), hoping they'd put it down never drink it again.

So if I then come across somebody else who followed my original faith..I should warn that person...CORRECT???

When God delivers His own from wrath, in salvation, or from false teachings, to sound Biblical teachings, there is just something IN us, that desires others to know of His grace.

So if or when God says that it's time for a chosen one to be blessed with the 'truth'...it is only natural for us to want to share it...RIGHT???

Unfortunately, because we are bumbling knuckleheads much of the time, we let our flesh get in our way of delivering the message that our heart longs to share, and longs to have others benefit from, like we have.

Sometimes people just don't go about spreading the word...the right way....NO??

Toodles & God Bless