PDA

View Full Version : Obedience to the law of the land

Fledge
10-03-01, 09:26 AM
Shouldn't we, as Christians, obey the laws of the land? Point in particular I am thinking about...
people who speed and break the law when they drive.

I have seen pastors, youth ministers, church busses, etc driving WAY too fast. It isn't safe, and it is illegal. They are breaking the law. Shouldn't we obey such laws of our country...so long as it doesn't go against the Word of God?

universe
10-03-01, 11:20 AM
Totally! It drives me nuts, too, to see people flooring it everywhere when we are supposed to be an example to others. No, I'm not a perfect driver, but I do not deliberately speed because "it isn't like I'm holding up a bank."

Brandan
10-03-01, 11:33 AM
Uh oh - I'm one of those bad drivers.....

jhamrick
10-03-01, 11:39 AM
uh, as long as you're not in front of me on the way to work.....:)

Kathleen
10-03-01, 01:51 PM
This is not really on the same topic but...I think there should be a law for driving under the speed limit too...majority of local accidents are caused by people who are driving too slow.

While we're on the topic of driving...

You wanna know what really scares me??

Seeing people's ROAD RAGE....that scares me.

I've seen people cursing, making obscene gestures, throwing things at other cars, racing, cutting eachother off, honking horns obnoxiously, 'peeling out' of an intersection...

I don't understand how someone could get so annoyed by another driver(s) that they would do this.

Just an observation.

Toodles & God Bless!!

Fledge
10-03-01, 03:01 PM
Guess I should fess up here.
I'm guilty of the "road rage" thing. Actually, I prefer to call it, NOT road rage, but just getting chapped at the stupidity other people show.
I've mumbled, I've thought things I shouldn't.
NO, I don't throw things nor will I be shooting people. That's way beyond stupid things to do.
BUT, I do get a little heated behind the wheel sometimes.

And yes...people that don't know how to go the speed limit need tickets too! Actually, there is a law on that...impeding traffic (or some wording like that), at least there is in Texas. It is just never enforced.

I can make exceptions to people hauling heavy, or oversized loads...but then, they could at least move over and let the rest of us who want to do the speed limit get going. I would do that. It's called common courtesy.
:)

I'm ranting now...I'll hush.

Christ__Alone
10-03-01, 03:21 PM
Shouldn't we, as Christians, obey the laws of the land?

yep, every single one of them, unless they cause us to sin against our King.

Brandan
10-03-01, 04:10 PM
Well, I happen to agree with you here. :D

universe
10-04-01, 10:45 AM
Too slow can be almost as dangerous as too fast, but I have little sympathy for drivers who get angry at people who are going, for example, 63 instead of 65. The impedence laws are for intended for people who are going significantly slower than the rest of traffic, like 15 mph slower, or for people going too slow in the passing lane, you know, hanging out over there going 60. I try to plan to leave early when I have to commute. This relieves the worry of being late and I can relax and enjoy the drive. Makes it a lot easier to overlook the rude drivers and a lot easier to let others go first.