PDA

View Full Version : It Is Written

Christ_†_Alone
11-01-01, 03:46 PM
Many will say, that Sola Scriptura (the Bible alone) is not to be found in the Bible at all. There have been numerous writings on this, many found here in the LIBRARY (http://www.5solas.org/archive.php)
but I would like to focus on a particular aspect of the Written Word.

When Jesus was tempted by satan, 3 times, He replied, "it is written". Why did He do that, and what did it mean?

Let’s look at the actual verses:

Matthew 4:
1 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
2 And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.
3 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.
4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
5 Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple,
6 And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.
7 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.
8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;
9 And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.
10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.
11 Then the devil leaveth him, and, behold, angels came and ministered unto him.

Any good cross-reference will show us what Jesus was talking about when He declared to the devil that "it is written".

I'll share John Gill's commentaries here on these verses:

Ver. 4. But he answered and said, it is written

The passage referred to, and cited, is in #De 8:3 the manner of citing it, is what was common and usual with the Jews; and is often to be met with in the Talmudic writings; who, when they produce any passage of scripture, say"as it is written".

The meaning of this scripture is; not that as the body lives by bread, so the soul lives by the word of God, and doctrines of the Gospel; though this is a certain truth: or that man lives by obedience to the commands of God, as was promised to the Israelites in the wilderness, and in the land of Canaan;

but that God, in satisfying man's hunger, and in supporting and preserving his life, is not tied to bread only, but can make use of other means, and order whatever he pleases to answer these ends; as, by raining manna from heaven, which is mentioned in the passage cited; and therefore there was no occasion to change the nature of things, to turn stones into bread; since that was not so absolutely necessary to the sustenance of life, as that it could not be maintained without it.

Our Lord hereby expresses his strong faith and confidence in God, that he was able to support him, and would do it, though in a wilderness, and destitute of supply; whereby he overcame this temptation of Satan.

Christ, in this, and some following citations, bears a testimony to, and establishes the authority of the sacred writings; and though he was full of the Holy Ghost, makes them the rule of his conduct;

which ought to be observed against those, who, under a pretence of the Spirit, deny the scriptures to be the only rule of faith and practice and at the same time points out to us the safest and best method of opposing Satan's temptations; namely, by applying to, and making use of the word of God.

Ver. 7. Jesus saith unto him, it is written again

Christ takes no notice of the false and wrong citation of scripture made by the devil, nor of any misapplication of it; but mildly replies, by opposing another passage of scripture to him, #De 6:16

ye shall not tempt the Lord your God: thereby tacitly showing, that he had produced scripture to a very wrong purpose, since that could never contradict itself

Ver. 10 for it is written, thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve

The place referred to is in #De 6:13

So here we have 3 verses that Jesus established to the devil, as His basis for His response:

Deuteronomy 8:3, 6:16, and 6:13.

So why was Jesus declaring "it is written"??

A little background on the book of Deuteronomy:

INTRODUCTION TO DEUTERONOMY

This book is sometimes called "Elleh hadebarim", from the words with which it begins; and sometimes by the Jews "Mishneh Torah", the repetition of the law; and so in the Syriac version, with which agrees the Arabic title of it; and when the Greeks, and we after them, call it "Deuteronomy", it is not to be understood of a second, a new, or another law, but of the law formerly delivered, but now repeated, and also more largely explained;

to which are likewise added several particular laws, instructions, and directions; all which were necessary, on account of the people of Israel, who were now a new generation, that either were not born, or not at an age to hear and understand the law when given on Mount Sinai; the men that heard it there being all dead, excepting a very few; and these people were also now about to enter into the land of Canaan, which they were to enjoy as long as they kept the law of God, and no longer, and therefore it was proper they should be reminded of it;

and besides, Moses was now about to leave them, and having an hearty desire after their welfare, spends the little time he had to be with them, by inculcating into them and impressing on them the laws of God, and in opening and explaining them to them, and enforcing them on them, which were to be the rule of their obedience, and on which their civil happiness depended.

And sometimes the Jews call this book "the book of reproofs", because there are in it several sharp reproofs of the people of Israel for their rebellion and disobedience; and so the Targums of Jonathan and Jerusalem begin it by calling it the words of reproof which Moses spake.

That this book was written by Moses there can be no doubt, from #De 1:1 31:4,9,24, only the eight last verses, which give an account of his death, and of his character, were wrote by another hand, equally inspired by God, as either Eleazar the priest, as some, or Samuel the prophet, as others; or, as it is the more commonly received opinion of the Jews, Ezra; though it is highly probable they were wrote by Joshua his successor.

This book was written and delivered by Moses, at certain times in the last month of his life, and towards the close of the fortieth year of the children of Israel's coming out of Egypt.

And that it is of divine authority need not be questioned, when the several quotations out of it are observed, as made by the apostles of Christ, in #Ac 3:22 Ro 12:19 #Heb 10:30 Ga 3:10 out of #De 18:15 32:35,36 27:26 and by our Lord himself, #Mt 18:16 from #De 19:15.

Yea, it is remarkable, that all the passages of Scripture produced by Christ, to repel the temptations of Satan, are all taken out of this book, #Mt 4:7,10 compared with #De 8:3 6:10,13, and the voice from heaven, directing the apostles to hearken to him, refers to a prophecy of him in #De 18:15.

DIVINE AUTHORITY... there is the answer. THIS is why Jesus declared to the devil, it is written, when He replied to his temptations.

God, having given the law to Moses, to give to the people, had decreed for all time, His holiness, and man's responsibility to that. It was written, for all time, to be referred BACK to, for countless generations to come.

It was by this very law, that man today is brought to Christ (knowing that we cannot keep the law, and NEED Him).

But going back to the fact that Jesus simply declared, it is written, should be an example to us all, who might lean toward demoting the Written Word, in favor of opinion, church teachings, what the pastor thinks, or any OTHER source of authority.

When Jesus was tempted, He did not say:

"well, my pastor says..."
"the POPE says..."
"the church I go to says..."
"my friend who studies the Bible said..."
"this commentator said..."

What He did say was:

"God has decreed in HIS word"

If what a friend, pastor, teacher or writer says, DOES line up with what the Bible says, then that's good news indeed. However, if it does not, it has no more spiritual authority than a wet paper sack against a fleet of tanks. It is USELESS, unless it conforms to the established, written word of God. Only THEN does that word have the power of God imbedded into it, from all time.

And Jesus, being our example, shows us this, in His response to the devil, in the above verses.

For those of you who have taken the time to read this whole article, I pray this message stirs in your heart, and causes you to search the Scriptures, and see if these things be so.

blackhaw
11-02-01, 04:24 PM
Great Post/thread CA. Too bad the ones that were going to argue on the other side never posted.

Christ_†_Alone
11-02-01, 05:11 PM
Thank you for the kind words, but... if they want to post, it's here, and they are free to share their arguments against it. :D

blackhaw
11-02-01, 11:56 PM
I know. It just does not look like anyone is going to put up a counterpost. I was all ready to have a good discussion about it too. Oh well.

7th
11-03-01, 12:07 AM
...and that is The Truth. The Truth is not to be argued or debated but simply given freely as we receive It.

Originally posted by Christ_†_Alone
Any good cross-reference will show us what Jesus was talking about when He declared to the devil that "it is written".

He said that. This is true but He didn't say "it is written in only one place". There are so many men. The world is so vast. The enemy is fierce, cunning, and existed before creation. We are so meek, ignorant, and short lived. The enemy seeks to destroy man in so many ways with so many tools and with so many texts. Are we to beleive that God would only show us The Way in the ancient texts of one obscure people? The path is straight and the gate so narrow...yes. But does He not wish it that none should perish? The enemy of man is far greater than man but before God he is nothing. Therefore, where ever The Truth is written we should not deny it or add to it or take away from it. In doing so we stand against the will of God. Who can stand against Him?

Am I saying that there is another way? NO!!! I am saying that When God is in your heart He is everywhere that you are. You see Him in the wind and in the sea. In the earth and in the sky. You see him in your father's eyes and in your wife's love. Every question you have will be answered in His good pleasure and you will want for nothing. Are we to deny a man this because God found him in His way and not ours?

The Way of God is not the way of man. Only He knows how He is to save the many. Should the few then say, "I found salvation here! No one else will be saved unless they find salvation where I found it!" We did NOT find salvation. It was given to us freely when we asked for it. Who is the beggar to tell The Merciful how He is to give to the next beggar?

Should the few then say, "The Father saved me and only me! No one else will be saved unless he is saved through the words The Father used to save me!" Who is the clay to tell The Potter how to shape the next vessel?

Are not the laborers to tend the feild until The Master of the harvest comes? DO NOT separate the weeds from the crop until He comes or you may damage the fruit. Rather leave the weeds were they stand, protect what you can, and pray that The Master hires enough laborers to save the whole crop. Else you will have to give an accounting for the destruction you wrought out of your own wages.

Christ_†_Alone
11-03-01, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by 7th
This is true but He didn't say "it is written in only one place".

The enemy seeks to destroy man in so many ways with so many tools and with so many texts. Are we to beleive that God would only show us The Way in the ancient texts of one obscure people?

When He said "it is written", He followed that up, each time, with the direction that God gave specifically, that addressed each attempt of temptation. So in a sense, yes, He was indeed declaring it is written in only 1 place.

Are we to believe that God would show us the way in the ancient texts of one obscure people......?

I sure do, for me, the Word of God is the final authority in such things.

7th
11-03-01, 08:14 AM
...I agree. The Word of God IS the FINAL authority. Amen! Yes, The Word is found in the OT and the NT. Amen!

If The Word can only be found in scripture then how was Abraham saved? How about Isaac and Jacob? How about Noah? What of Enoch who was taken whole and alive by God? How about Adam? How did they receive The Word? How about Moses? These men didn't have the OT let alone the NT and yet they did recieve The Word. From where did Moses write the law? Am I to believe that you think these men to be unrighteous and unsaved because they did not have scripture? God forbid! The Word is alive. It goes where It wills and does as It pleases. The Words speaks to men the according to the will of The Father and HOWEVER HE DEEMS FIT THAT IT SHOULD BE SPOKEN. The Word is not bound by paper or cultures or peoples. Rather all these things are bound by the will of The Father and minstered to by The Word.

If scripture is the only way He can reach you then so be it. No one can begrudge you this. No one can take that away from you. It is rightly so. Do not begrudge anyone else how The Word came to them. All I am saying is do not presume to know His ways. Such men killed the prophets and The Christ himself for giving them knowledge beyond what they believed to be scripture.

I do understand the question of your heart. How then are we, who are charged with spreading The Word, to distinguish the saved from the unsaved? It is not by the books they read but by The Word who has come to them.

Each time we accuse the saved of being unsaved we try to stand against the will of God. We are set at odds against each other and serve no purpose but our own egos. No one can stand against the will of God. His kingdom is not divided...only men are and its our own doing.

Find the lost amongst the lost and not the found. You will know them because they do not have The Word. They are many but any man who believes that they are only saved by asking God for forgiveness with a repentant heart has The Word and is saved. All other misunderstandings will be forgiven and set straight when He comes again.

Matthew
"12:32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come."

Be very careful of who you try to 'convert'. If you find a man is saved then search for the lost elsewhere. You are looking in the wrong place. Do not burden the saved with what God has decided to burden you with lest you unwittingly speak against The Spirit who is still at work inside him and harden him against his own salvation. Your burdens are yours alone. If they are too heavy then give them to Christ. He doesn't mind.

In case you don't quite understand let me put it simply:
You will never find one man who knows The Word in its entirety. Who does? I don't. We don't need to to be saved. Jesus knows the complete Word but He is The Word. Is He not?

Christ_†_Alone
11-03-01, 10:52 AM
7th...

you made so many statements, I honestly have no idea what your initial point was.

Here's mine:

If a man has 2 sources of information, for example, 1 being the Bible, and another being ANYTHING else, which one is the FINAL authority?

I believe the Bible is, and I believe Jesus showed us why, when He told the devil "it is written".

For me, it really is that simple.