Pristine Grace

Thread: On Helping others or not..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On Helping others or not..

I;m a little mixed up on where I should be about helping others, possibly in a time of crises. The scriptures seem to give different points. I'm obviously not getting something so would like your take on it.

Scripture says that the 2nd greatest commandment is to love your neighbor like yourself. I'd want help if needed so am inclined to want to help others also. But scripture also says to the effect of..If people do not prepare, they should suffer the consequences for it (Parableof the ten virgins)

This country is headed for the worst time of crises in the earths history, tribulation like the world has never seen before. When this happens and people show up needing help, am I to take them in and help them, trusting in the Lord to provide, or turn them away and concentrate on keeping my family? My inclination is to help and not turn them away, but I realize that God works in mysterious ways, and that my own carnal judgement would almost invaribly lead me to the wrong decision. I don't want to go against the will of the Lord, but would have a hard time turning people out into the street to possibly die.

What do you think and what scripture backs it up? Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Re: On Helping others or not..

Quote Originally Posted by Edward429451
    I;m a little mixed up on where I should be about helping others, possibly in a time of crises. The scriptures seem to give different points. I'm obviously not getting something so would like your take on it.

Scripture says that the 2nd greatest commandment is to love your neighbor like yourself. I'd want help if needed so am inclined to want to help others also. But scripture also says to the effect of..If people do not prepare, they should suffer the consequences for it (Parableof the ten virgins)

This country is headed for the worst time of crises in the earths history, tribulation like the world has never seen before. When this happens and people show up needing help, am I to take them in and help them, trusting in the Lord to provide, or turn them away and concentrate on keeping my family? My inclination is to help and not turn them away, but I realize that God works in mysterious ways, and that my own carnal judgement would almost invaribly lead me to the wrong decision. I don't want to go against the will of the Lord, but would have a hard time turning people out into the street to possibly die.

What do you think and what scripture backs it up? Thanks.
    We know the difference between right and wrong. If someone needs help, then do what's in your power to help them. I would suggest a cultural/historical study the parable of the good Samaritan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Galatians 6:10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith.

James 2:15-17
    If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, "Depart in peace, be warmed and filled," but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

2 Thessalonians 3:10 For even when we were with you, we commanded you this: If anyone will not work, neither shall he eat.

Matthew 5:43-48 " You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44 "But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, 45 "that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46 "For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47 "And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so? 48 "Therefore you shall be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.

Love must be the motivating factor. Just as God out of love bestows riches upon some and out of love brings poverty upon some, we must also use discernment. If we come across a person who is need of help and we are capable of helping them we must help them. In 2 Thessalonians Paul adresses those who were expecting Christ to come very soon. They quit their jobs and awaited his coming. They were completely capable of working but chose not to. To enable a person who chooses not to work to continue not to work by providing funds for them is not to show love to them. Every case is not completely cut and dry and discernment must be used. A person has responsibility first to their family, then to their church family, and then to those outside of the church.
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thats right in line with the way I see it, but I was talking to someone about it and he he was trying to tell me that we're even supposed to shun even people of the faith if they fail to properly prepare themselves for their own family. He made it sound semi feasible but I just didn't have the scripture to back me up. I should read more. Thanks!