Pristine Grace
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2

Thread: Bringing Up Your Children...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Christ Alone, the children have to know that drugs are there before saying I won't do drugs has any meaning. I can get my 2 year old to say that until the cows come home, but it means nothing to her. They don't have to swear, do drugs, drink alcohol to excess, etc. in order to be informed about the options they will face in this world. They just have to know what it is they have decided to take a stance against. By having no option, they may as well be taking a stance against a blank wall. That wall is evil because it is against what I have chosen. They have the right to know what it out there. (With respect for the ages that they can handle the information. Don't go scaring your kids with reality!)
    It should go without saying, that part of teaching your kids right and wrong, good and evil, is to also teach them WHY.

Teaching them why, good or evil, is to present factual truths, as the Lord has allowed us to understand them, so that we can better equip our own kids, to make sound decisions.

I really didn't think I needed to clarify that, but I apologize if I wasn't clear enough.
    "SOLA SCRIPTURA… GRATIA… FIDE… CHRISTUS… DEO GLORIA" Scripture alone, being our final authority, teaches us that salvation is by grace His grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone, for the glory of God alone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    A child growing up is far too younge to decide what religoun suites him, corbin, your my friend m8 but i still believe that you are pushing your beliefs (Atheism)...

Children who are toddlers will listen to their parents, they cannot decide on something that they cannot see at that age and i believe that it is the role of the parents to encourage their children to believe in God and try to do what is right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I second everything Christ_t_Alone has said.
    The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
    Psalm 14:1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [It should go without saying, that part of teaching your kids right and wrong, good and evil, is to also teach them WHY.

Teaching them why, good or evil, is to present factual truths, as the Lord has allowed us to understand them, so that we can better equip our own kids, to make sound decisions]

This means also teaching them about other religious options. You can label them good/evil, but at least they had a CHOICE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Well, you can't make ANYONE believe anything in my opinion. If you are a parent, you have every right to raise your children according to the beliefs which you hold. If that includes laying out all the worlds religions and letting them CHOOSE which is best for them, so be it. But if you are a parent, and you believe the other religions are evil (and yes, in my opinion, anything contradictory to Christianity IS EVIL), then why should I be forced to raise my children in the same way that you do?

We believe the things we believe because we believe they are true. If you don't know WHY you believe the things you believe, or are not sure the things you believe are true, you do not really believe what you think you believe. But if you REALLY do believe the things you believe in are true, you have a responsibility to the things you believe in to carry out your beliefs in every facet of your life. If you do not, you betray your beliefs, and that my friend is a tragedy. Why, you may ask? Because you've lived a lie and betrayed the very thing you claim is most important to you.

Sadly, this describes a good majority of people who claim Christianity today. They boast of Jesus in words, but deny Him in their deeds. Do I think these people are real Believers? Well, I cannot read a man's heart, but for all practical purposes, I would have to say no, these people are not real Christians. The word Christian means, "follower of Christ." Ask yourself, are you REALLY a follower of Christ? You can claim Christianity just as easily as you can claim to be a Republican or a Democrat. The hypocrisy in people claiming to be Christians parallels the hypocrisy found in Republicans and Democrats. The majority of people who claim to be a republican or democrat fail to make it to the polls on election day. Do you think they really ARE what they say they are if they don't even bother to make it to the polls? They may very well be who they say they are. But they aren't very true to their "party" and political cause, thus denying the very thing they claim to be by lack of action.

Anyway to get back on topic. If you TRULY are a Christian, and DO NOT raise your children according to your faith, you have DENIED the very thing you claim to believe. So, if you're not a Christian, why do you expect Christians to deny their faith by giving them a chance to choose the very thing they belive is evil. After all, to me, believing any other religion other than Christianity is like taking a gun and blowing your head off. Why should others expect me to give my children what I believe is the equivalent of a gun to blow their brains out?
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I am not suggesting that you lay it all out on a table and let them take their pick anymore than I am suggesting that you put drugs on the table for them to try before they decide to just say no. I am simply suggesting that they know what it is that they are being taught is evil. For example, buddism says that we are reincarnated, but our god says this about that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Christ_†_Alone
    Corbin,

just curious... how many children do you have?
    I've never heard a more condescending comment. I have seen far more intelligent posts from Corbin than ANYTHING I've seen from you, or from many adults for that matter. I think it's extremely commendable for someone at this age to give such weighty thought to so many issues, especially when most kids care more about video games, fashion and rock music. Corbin is a rare breed and I think you should give him that consideration.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Questian, I don't see how that question was condenscending at all. It was a question which was used to make a point. Why does this have to be an "argument" all of a sudden?
    I have seen far more intelligent posts from Corbin than ANYTHING I've seen from you, or from many adults for that matter.
    So, I assume you've seen more intelligent posts from Corbin than ANYTHING from me too? Man, what is your agenda? Do you have some sort of vendetta?
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by kermie
    Questian, I don't see how that question was condenscending at all. It was a question which was used to make a point. Why does this have to be an "argument" all of a sudden?
    So, I assume you've seen more intelligent posts from Corbin than ANYTHING from me too? Man, what is your agenda? Do you have some sort of vendetta?
    I think it's fairly obvious the intent of the question given that Corbin signs all his posts "The 14 year old Atheist". How many 14 year olds do you know that have children? I said many adults, not all. My complaint is with C-A only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by kermie
    After all, to me, believing any other religion other than Christianity is like taking a gun and blowing your head off. Why should others expect me to give my children what I believe is the equivalent of a gun to blow their brains out?
    That's dogma if I ever heard it. Blinded to the bitter end. Do you think everyone who doesn't believe Christianity should also blow their heads off? (This is not an attack on you personally, just your logic.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    I think everyone who dies without Christ is eternally doomed, if that's what you're asking...
    This is my signature.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have to second Questian's view of Corbin being very intelligent for his age especially. It is rare to see a 14 yr old with as much knowledge of religous matters and being so articulate. I will not say that his posts are more intelligent than anyone elses though. I think Questian was angry and that is why He said that. Now I can see how someone could see
    Originally posted by Christ_†_Alone
    Corbin,
    just curious... how many children do you have?

as a little consdescending. I do not CA meant it htat way but soetimes it is not what you say but how you say it. Also CA does have a good point about views changing once one life cahnges. I have no kids but my views on my own life have drastically changed since I got married. SO I can see that when My wife and I have kids that some of my opinions about child rearing will change also.
    Whic by the way Corbin admits will happen.
    blackhaw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by questian

I think it's fairly obvious the intent of the question given that Corbin signs all his posts "The 14 year old Atheist". How many 14 year olds do you know that have children? I said many adults, not all. My complaint is with C-A only.
    My question to Corbin wasn't intended to be condescending at all, and IF you bothered to read anything else I've written to this young man, you will see that I have indeed commended him for his insightfulness.

If you were looking for someone to argue with, this isn't the place.

This thread is about raising children... so let us stick to the topic at hand, shall we?
    "SOLA SCRIPTURA… GRATIA… FIDE… CHRISTUS… DEO GLORIA" Scripture alone, being our final authority, teaches us that salvation is by grace His grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone, for the glory of God alone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2