Pristine Grace
Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Thread: Bringing Up Your Children...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bringing Up Your Children...

I am curious to see who of all you enforce religion into your children from a young age? I believe that you should at least present your child with the facts, and allow all sorts of outside stimuli to help allow your child to make an educated deciosion about religion....
    CoWbOy CoRbY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Corbin,
    One of the problems with well everyone also alot of christians is they do view thier faith as a religion but thats not what it is about at all. This is about a relationship with God in Jesus Christ.
    Corbin you asked this way "I am curious to see who of all you enforce religion into your children from a young age?" Thats like asking how we enforce the fact we are the kids parents and its not that at all our childern know we are thier parents and what ever age we were in whatever way God has lead us to the truth we know that He is also our Father now and its not abunch of rules laws and regulations anymore but a want and a need in us to know more and be closer to Him just as one might want to know more about thier natural family.

Corbin truth is as I'm sure you know no matter how much a person tries we could drag our kids to church we can monitor their televison radio music ect... control who they hang out with but as parents or friends or anyone else we can not make them believe anything we present them with truth and regardless if the "outside stimuli" comes in they still have heard the truth.

One question I would have for you is what is making you an athiest? I am taking you believe thats what you are by the statment at the end of you post

God Bless
    Chuck

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Bringing Up Your Children...

Originally posted by Corbin
    I am curious to see who of all you enforce religion into your children from a young age? I believe that you should at least present your child with the facts, and allow all sorts of outside stimuli to help allow your child to make an educated deciosion about religion....
    We teach our children the truth, and leave their future in the hands of God.

Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.
    "SOLA SCRIPTURA… GRATIA… FIDE… CHRISTUS… DEO GLORIA" Scripture alone, being our final authority, teaches us that salvation is by grace His grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone, for the glory of God alone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Corbin, to a degree I agree with you. We should allow other influences help shape and mold children. And I agree with C_A that we teach them the truth and leave them in God's hands.

If it is my house, and my children, they will live by my rules and grow up in a christian home. And I will shield them from the evil influences as much as humanly possible, and I will teach them the truth of God's Word. But I will also allow a certain amount of freedom for them to explore and learn and will hold them in prayer that God will take charge of their lives and guide them in the right directions.
    2 Timothy 4:2-4
    <(((><
    1 Peter 3:15

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yes we can't be overprotective with children and we can't be underprotective. I think part of my testimony would be a valid thing to share here.

I was raised in a christian home. My parents were christian and our extended family has been christians for a very long time. Now I was forced to go to church when I was young. I say forced becasue once I had a will I did not want to go. Church was boring. My parents were my parents though so I obeyed. When I got into late Junior high or high school my parents stopped forcing me to go to church. For awhile I did not go but soon I was back and the rest is history. I often have thought why did I come back to Christianity? And why even during my time away from the church did I still believe in God? I think it was because of the values that were reinforced in me by my parents. Now we did not have family Bible studies or anything like that. My parents just lived Christianity on a daily basis. I knew what they believed and they made sure I had a grounding in it but they did not force it on me. I think that is the way Christianity is passed down generations. It is not because we force it on anyone. It is becasue we see it lived out in our parents. If anyone tries to force it on anyone it just does not work. Either the other person will just have religion without God or they will reject both. That is unless they see it in someone else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I was raised in a home where six days a week they argued and drank and were very dyfunctional. With underlying Christian values being discussed. Episcopal church every Sunday. I really didn't understand a personal relationship with Jeus. I thought we went to church to get into heaven. Good works.
    Jesus found me and my parents didn't understand my new found love of Jesus. They thought I was fanatical because I told them that astrology, etc where not acceptable before God.
    My husband and I both were not brought up in "Christian families."
    We have desired to send our children to Christian schools since they were born. God has provided and our sons have had the opportunity to get a very loving nurturing top rated Christian education since the age of 4 yrs. We feel our six year old first born son has accepted Jesus into his heart. He has a very discerning heart and doesn't want to watch shows on TV that he feels are from "Sin" (Satan). We were watching TV and "Monsters" was being advertised. I said would like to see that movie? He surprised me by saying " No" it is from Sin. He discerns toys in the toy department in front of other children. Poke'mon, Harry Potter. He will say " Why do people like Harry Potter?" He seems to understand things that I don't even see as wrong. I is very devote in his beliefs and we just feel very glad that he is confident and happy about his decisions. He has thrown away certain toys he has received from others. He really doesn't want them. He isn't afraid he just has no use for them. He said to me the other day. Why did those bad guys steal the radio out of our car? I explained that they wanted Money. I explained that some to some people Money can be sort of like a God to people.
    He said I like God better than Money. It is amazing.
    Yes we let him experience worldly things but he doesn't feel comfortable with them in his spirit because the Holy Spirit lives there. I am not ignorant he may start to change and go the way of the world but I know God will stay with him on any road he takes and I will always pray that he finds his way back to the road he is on now.
    He has been given him a direct invitation to be in God's family and he has accepted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

This is basic psychology. If we condition our children a certain way, they will behave a certain way. We are the most-easiet conditioned species on the planet. This is not always a good thing, especially with religion..

God has provided and our sons have had the opportunity to get a very loving nurturing top rated Christian education since the age of 4 yrs. We feel our six year old first born son has accepted Jesus into his heart. He has a very discerning heart and doesn't want to watch shows on TV that he feels are from "Sin" (Satan). We were watching TV and "Monsters" was being advertised. I said would like to see that movie? He surprised me by saying " No" it is from Sin.

You say your child has "accepted Jesus into his heart".

From what I hear, your child has grown up in a very controlled, christian enviroment. Do you ever encourage outside stimuli for your child? Say, by letting him experience a public school perhaps? You may think what you are doing is positivley "the right thing", but perhaps you're misinformed? Your child has been conditioned to the point of where he throws away toys that appear to be associated with "sin"! I think your child has reached the point of where you should introduce new sources of stimuli, to encourage new ideas and thoughts.

When children are young and immature, they are far more succeptable to influences. This is why we must not put a damper on our children's stimuli. We must provide our children with all the facts that we can. Religious beliefs are not facts, and even if you think so, wouldn't it be better to inform your children of atheism also? I mean, if you're so confident that Jesus is the only way, what harm is it to allow your children to see the other side of the coin? Afraid they'll acually be able to make an intelligent and informed desicion about religion as opposed to be "brain washed" into it?
    CoWbOy CoRbY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Corbin,

just curious... how many children do you have?
    "SOLA SCRIPTURA… GRATIA… FIDE… CHRISTUS… DEO GLORIA" Scripture alone, being our final authority, teaches us that salvation is by grace His grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone, for the glory of God alone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have no kids, I am 14
    CoWbOy CoRbY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Corbin,
    Apart from the fact of believing if there is or is not a God with what you have read in the bible about how a christian should be, now remember I'm asking you to base this on what you have read and understand from the bible not from people that are christian or say they are christian, but in what you yourself have read, is a christian lifestyle good?

onward and up word...........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have no kids, I am 14
    That's very interesting, that while you have no children of your own, you would have such advice and insight on how they should be raised.

For parents who have been regenerated by the Holy Spirit, we have had the truths of God revealed to us... and we raise our children, accordingly (the best that we are able).

It is a completely different perspective one has, on child-rearing, when one has no children of his own, compared to when one DOES have a child.

It is also equally different, when one has a child, and is raising him or her to serve our Heavenly Father, OR, serve the lust of his own flesh.

So what it all boils down to, is simply... perspective. And this verse of Scripture tells us that:

1 Corinthians 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

That natural man, one who is not born again, cannot possibly see the things of God, understand them, or believe them. Further, the verse tells us that those things are even foolishness in that man's mind.

Therefore, that man would base his opinion on child-rearing, from an unsaved worldview, not a regenerated Godly view.

When you get older, marry, and have a child of your own, you may see things a bit differently than you do now. If you get saved, and have a child, you WILL see things differently than you do now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It is a completely different perspective one has, on child-rearing, when one has no children of his own, compared to when one DOES have a child.

Valid point, of course this is true, but don't disregard everything I say just because of that.

When you get older, marry, and have a child of your own, you may see things a bit differently than you do now. If you get saved, and have a child, you WILL see things differently than you do now.

We shall see.
    CoWbOy CoRbY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    LOL, Corbin, I remember when I was 14 thinking I'd NEVER get married. Then well, things changed. My whole perspective has changed from 14 to 26. And what's funny is my whole perspective on life is a continually changing one. My perspective has changed dramatically from 23 to 26..

I'm sure my perspective will continue to change.
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm sure my perspective will continue to change.

As will mine, however with regards to some of the posters on this board, well I think some of them need to adopt this way of thinking. Many of the people here are so stuck in their ways, they are not even willing to admit to theirselves that their perspective is continually changing. Some people here believe that they will have the exact same set of beliefs 50 years from now! This, however, is rarely the case, and by merely admitting to yourself that your point of view may change over time, well, that opens more doors, and breeds open-mindedness.
    CoWbOy CoRbY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    btw

kermie
    The Big Cheese

holy moly~!!
    CoWbOy CoRbY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We shall see.
    When you were 5, you saw the world thru the eyes of a 5 year old, with the life experiences from your 5 years in the world, dealings with other people, the things you had learned, so on and so forth.

The same happens at 10, 14, 26, 39, and so on, with each and every passing year of your life, each and every life experience that you go through.

Such as graduating from highschool, college, marraige, children, the death of a parent, moving to a new city, taking a new job, so on and so forth.

How God's hand works in your life, equally changes the way you view the world, and your role in it.

Before the event comes to pass, you can SAY how you would respond, and what might be the best course of action for that particular event, but until it actually happens, all the speculation in the world, is still just that, speculation.

Life's events change us, that's just the way it is.

For Christian parents raising their kids in the ways of the Lord, that ALSO changes, as the parents grow closer and closer to Him, in their own relationship, their understanding of His word, and as the kids get older.

Just a few words to think on... from someone who's lived thru a few things, and handled them a bit differently, than I would have said I would, at 14.

You're an insightful young man, I pray God draws you to Himself, and uses you for a mighty work in His name. You would make quite the impact on folks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Corbin,

WOW, I am so impress, you are fourteen !! You are a very mature fourteen. I am interested in knowing what kind of environment you have been raised in? And why you choose to debate God with us on this board? I have a fifteen year old step daughter and she really has no belief system yet and at this point isn't very interested in looking into one. She just wants to hang with her friends and listen to music.

I would like to answer your last message to me.
    My son is six and a half. He has a computer and at the moment his favorite toys are Transformers. He watches the cartoon and buys the toys. To me they are dark and violent. So I would have to say no he isn't being raised in a steril environment. We took part in Halloween. All along we talked about the holiday and the good parts and bad parts. I don't want to deny him life experiences.
    I was going to take him to "Monsters" but to my total suprise he said " I don't want to go."
    He knows it puts bad images in his head then he has nightmares.
    I also have a four year old he has been raised in the same environment. We have not seen the same
    type of thoughts coming from him. He will have to choose his path. We all do.
    I am by no means the Lillie White person you may think. I am pretty much a run of the mill Mom. We discuss everything and I allow them to explore all possibilities. I don't want them to grow up and say they were forced to attend church or not allowed to trick or treat and now they are angry with me. I want them to appreciate that I tried my best. Also learning about, praying and doing God's work can be tremendously fun. He has a great sense of humor and he loves us. He doesn't want for us to miserable when we seek him out or learn about him. My kids belong to Awana which is like a scout club with a Christian emphasis. The boys really enjoy it. They play games and earn patches etc.
    And they also love church we go to a pretty fun church and they have an emphasis on children and teens. So it is not a musty ol church. It is full of loving fun people.

Corbin keep searching for the Truth. There is a reason you are here on this message board. You are searching. That is GREAT !!
    If you search out God even to prove he doesn't exist you just may find he does.
    Love,
    Faith

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The same happens at 10, 14, 26, 39, and so on, with each and every passing year of your life, each and every life experience that you go through.

You are correct. Every life experience you go through, and even some that you have not witnessed or experience 1st hand, make up your awareness. Of course your awareness changes from day to day, according to the experiences you go through, and how you percieve them.

As we are children, we are more impressionable, which puts us at a disadvantage to make intelligent desicions. If we absorb misinformation, our minds cannot tell the difference. Our subconscious takes what we are told as "the truth". Our conscious is the thing that questions, not our subconscious. When we are young, information tends to make its way into the subconscious alot easier. This is why we musy protect our children from one-sided stories. By only telling one side of the coin we put a hamper on our child's potential. As we grow older, "the truth" that we learned as kids sticks with us, and will remain in the subconscios until it is triggered by the conscious. Often times, it remains in the subconscious, and remains part of a
    "habit", if you will.

Just the other day, my sister said something to me that was really a "wake up call."

I removed an old statue of jesus that I have had on my shelf for years. when my sister saw this, she exclaimed,
    "what are you doing?!" Well I replied by saying that I am not catholic. She gave me the oddest look, "what do you mean you're NOT catholic?!"

My younger sister had trouble comprehending anything other than christianity, for the main reason that my mother has kept her in a christian enviroment, without encouraging outside stimuli. Now this can only get worse, unless some sort of measures are taken.

You might suggest that this is only because of her age that she acts this way, well perhaps that is true, partially. BUT, i have known many, many people who have grown up in enviroments similar to my sister's, who have really turned into some really warped people. These are people of all ages, 10, 20, 30 and 40. They still have their christian beliefs burned into them from when they were a child. Not ever questioning, or being encouraged to question relgion at all.

My main beef with these people is that they are sheep, conditioned from a young age to behave and act a certain way. You cannot possibly want this for your children, and you must teach your children the facts if you really care for your children. Christian, Atheist, Muslim, Jew....whatever you may be, you should educate your child on what all of these things are! Teaching your child to WORSHIP someone, is something not to be taken lightly...

btw-
    sorry for stating things that I may have already stated in previous posts, I am quite tired and don't feel like going back and reading to see what I have said twice..
    CoWbOy CoRbY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Corbin,

teaching children facts, is exactly what true, Bible-believing, born again parents do, every day.

Example:

If you ask my 4 year old who made the stars, her answer will be:

"God did".

If you ask my 2 year old "what is halloween?" her answer will be:

"halloween is pagan"

If you ask my 11, 15, and 18 year olds, "why did Jesus die on the cross?" their answer will be:

To pay the debt for our sin, and save us.

It's literally impossible for me to explain this to you in a way that you will understand it, since:

A. you're not a parent, and
    B. you're not born again by the Holy Spirit

Because of those 2 things, it is impossible for you to understand that what I'm saying is truth, and factual. This is not an insult against you, it's simply the way it is. Exactly the same way I would never understand the language and facts that a neurosurgeon might speak to me, since I am not one, and have no clue if what he says would be truth, or fact, or not.

This is truly an area that you just don't have Godly insight into, and don't understand.

And the bottom line for me, as a Christian parent, is basically this:

I don't need to allow my kids to experience drugs, sexual immorality, trash music, violence, filthy language, pagan customs, and false religion, just to teach them that these things are wrong.

Granted, when they are older, and on their own, they may well indeed decide to test the waters in one area or another, to see for themselves if what they were taught, is true... I pray that they do NOT, but reality says, they probably will.

But while they are young, I have no need to hit them in the head with a brick, to prove to them getting hit in the head with a brick, would cause great pain and suffering.

It is NOT an easy job to raise kids, but it IS our job, if we are parents. If we are Godly parents, it is also our obligation and our joy, to raise them up with a strong foundation of truth in Christ Jesus, so that when they get older, and do get out on their own, they have that foundation of truth, deep in their hearts.

Maybe some day you'll understand this. I pray that you do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hi Corbin! I am also a parent of three children. We have made it a point to always give them the truth as we understand it. We also explain if our stance on something changes. Our 6 year old has never been told that there is a Santa Claus. In school last year she told her classmates that santa is pretend because reindeer can't fly, there are no wings or engines on santa sleigh, and he does things that real people cannot do. Several months ago, she applied this good reasoning of hers to god. Mommy, Pop-pop can't come alive again, and I can't make sick people better without medicine, and real animals can't talk. Is god like santa claus?

My grandparents, who were a minister and his wife, encouraged all of us grandchildren to take courses in world religion as we grew up. They said that is was important that we understand that the choice we made had several options and what kind of choice is it if you only know the one option? I agree. If most christians had been born in an islamic country they would believe that way, and so on. You must know the choices before your choice has any validity.

Christ Alone, the children have to know that drugs are there before saying I won't do drugs has any meaning. I can get my 2 year old to say that until the cows come home, but it means nothing to her. They don't have to swear, do drugs, drink alcohol to excess, etc. in order to be informed about the options they will face in this world. They just have to know what it is they have decided to take a stance against. By having no option, they may as well be taking a stance against a blank wall. That wall is evil because it is against what I have chosen. They have the right to know what it out there. (With respect for the ages that they can handle the information. Don't go scaring your kids with reality!)

Corbin, you may not be a parent, but you have a perspective which most of us have forgotten as we have aged. You know what it is like to be a young person exploring his world and making decisions. You do not have to BE a parent to understand what it is like to love someone, take care of others, to some degree, and have responsibilities. I find more and more that I raise my children much as I had hoped to as a young humanist. (My mother was a born-again christian and my father was a humanist/freethinker.) I obviously was able to explore both sides of this cultures big beliefs throughout my childhood. I am lucky to have a great memory of my childhood and it has been a great help in understanding what my children are going through and in making decisions that will affect their lives. Don't forget.

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast