Pristine Grace

Thread: A little help please.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A little help please.

I know this is an easy one, so before I spend 6 hours hunting through the BIble, I was hoping for a little direction from you folks on this board:

I overheard a discussion the other day between a couple guys who were talking about judgement day. I only heard bits and pieces of the discussion, so I am hoping that others on this board can help me fill in the blanks.

It was two men discussing judgement day, and one man was trying to make the case to the other that, in his words, "the Bible says that believers will never come before the judgement seat of Christ". He also went on to say that "all who are judged will be condemned". Both of his statements did seem vaguely familiar to me, but I don't know why.

I did do some quick study via a concordance, and every verse that I've found would make me believe that all are going to appear before the judgment seat of Christ. Am I wrong? If the man was wrong, is this a view that's held within a particular denomination at all, or was he just misreading the Bible.

Thank you in advance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: A little help please.

Quote Originally Posted by ashamoun
    I did do some quick study via a concordance, and every verse that I've found would make me believe that all are going to appear before the judgment seat of Christ. Am I wrong?
    You are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by ashamoun
    If the man was wrong, is this a view that's held within a particular denomination at all, or was he just misreading the Bible.
    I've heard this from the mouths of dispensationalists before. They will often distinguish between the judgment seat and the 'Bema' seat. They claim the Bema seat is the seat of reward which Christians will stand before and be awarded according to their works but they will not stand before the judgment seat. There is very little Biblical evidence to support this. In fact the same word Bema is used in reference to the seat Pilate sat on and he was not sitting there to reward Jesus. It's an argument drawn more from rationalism and extra-Biblical sources.
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine