Pristine Grace

Thread: Is ALL of Scripture Divinely Inspired?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is ALL of Scripture Divinely Inspired?

I have yet another challenge that was posed to me a few days ago. It has to do with whether ALL of Scripture is Divinely Inspired. When I say all, I mean all, every single word in the Bible. I have always believed the answer to that is Yes. At the same time, we acknowledge that because of translations and of course, our limited human abilities to understand, that we may certainly don't understand or comprehend ALL that is revealed to us in Scripture.

All that being said, what do we make of the following verse:

1 cor 7:12 (KJV): "12But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away."
    Is Paul here acknowledging in some way that the verses that follow are a message or guidance from him personally and not a message from God as the rest of his epistles are? And if so, do we then say that not ALL the Bible is God breathed? I know this is a slippery slope, and that's why I was hoping someone could help we with this.

Thank you,
    Anthony

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Is ALL of Scripture Divinely Inspired?

It may interest you what Matthew Henry has to say,-Quote [v12] But to the rest speak I, not the Lord; that is, the Lord had not so expressly spoken to this case as to the former divorce. It does not mean that the Apostle spoke without authority from the Lord, or decided this case by his own wisdom, without the inspiration of the Holy Ghost. He closes the subject with a declaration to the contrary[v40] , I think also that I have the Spirit of God. -end Quote- Ivor Thomas..
    For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain , Phillippians 1 v21.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It may be I am in line with what Henry said, but shall nonetheless give my own view in my own words.

When Paul said that the Lord (Christ Jesus) did not say the thing he (Paul) meant that the Lord Christ had not previously (in person when here on earth) addressed this particular sort of case. As if Paul had said "the Lord has not spoken previously as to such a particular case as the one at hand, but now myself addresses it under Spirit-inspiration". So, Paul did indeed give this advice (or command) under the authority and inspiration of the Lord Jesus Christ, via the Spirit as the impelling agent.

Harald

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashamoun
    I have yet another challenge that was posed to me a few days ago. It has to do with whether ALL of Scripture is Divinely Inspired. When I say all, I mean all, every single word in the Bible. I have always believed the answer to that is Yes. At the same time, we acknowledge that because of translations and of course, our limited human abilities to understand, that we may certainly don't understand or comprehend ALL that is revealed to us in Scripture.

All that being said, what do we make of the following verse:

1 cor 7:12 (KJV): "12But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away."
    Is Paul here acknowledging in some way that the verses that follow are a message or guidance from him personally and not a message from God as the rest of his epistles are? And if so, do we then say that not ALL the Bible is God breathed? I know this is a slippery slope, and that's why I was hoping someone could help we with this.

Thank you,
    Anthony
    All of Scripture id divinely inspired. That means all. That some cannot wrap there head around a particular text is because they have blinders on. Why not read through the other parts of Scripture to in fact find out that what is said here is just as much the inspired Word of God as if Christ Himself was to say it. This is yet another unfortunate example of higher (which actually means debased) criticism. Or one simply to lazy to find out for one's self. It takes a bit of effort on all of us to search the Scriptures, you have to get your hands dirty and forget about the speculation of being silver spoon fed. Paul is inspired by God which means it is God's Word , not Pauls. Simply a matter of faith or unbelief. Sola Scriptura and in all things done that God be given the honor and glory first and foremost when we search His Word.

They can read this as well. From the Belgic Confession of Faith

We confess that this Word of God was not sent nor delivered by the will of man, but that men spake from God, being moved by the Holy Spirit, as the apostle Peter says; and that afterwards God, from a special care which He has for us and our salvation, commanded His servants, the prophets and apostles, to commit His revealed word to writing; and He Himself wrote with His own finger the two tables of the law. Therefore we call such writings holy and divine Scriptures.

We receive all these books, and these only, as holy and canonical, for the regulation, foundation, and confirmation of our faith; believing without any doubt all things contained in them, not so much because the Church receives and approves them as such, but more especially because the Holy Spirit witnesses in our hearts that they are from God, and also because they carry the evidence thereof in themselves. For the very blind are able to perceive that the things foretold in them are being fulfilled.

We believe that those Holy Scriptures fully contain the will of God, and that whatsoever man ought to believe unto salvation is sufficiently taught therein. For since the whole manner of worship which God requires of us is written in them at large, it is unlawful for any one, though an apostle, to teach otherwise than we are now taught in the Holy Scriptures: nay, though it were an angel from heaven, as the apostle Paul says. For since it is forbidden to add unto or take away anything from the Word of God, it does thereby evidently appear that the doctrine thereof is most perfect and complete in all respects.
    Neither may we consider any writings of men, however holy these men may have been, of equal value with those divine Scriptures, nor ought we to consider custom, or the great multitude, or antiquity, or succession of times and persons, or councils, decrees or statutes, as of equal value with the truth of God, since the truth is above all; for all men are of themselves liars, and more vain than vanity itself. Therefore we reject with all our hearts whatsoever does not agree with this infallible rule, as the apostles have taught us, saying, Prove the spirits, whether they are of God. Likewise: If any one cometh unto you, and bringeth not this teaching, receive him not into your house.

greetings and salutations, el rana