Pristine Grace

Thread: Wisdom and Common Sense

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wisdom and Common Sense

Do you ever condense Biblical understanding on particular issues into short, pithy phrases or sentences? I would like to know your favorite proverbs, Biblical, home-spun or otherwise. These should always reflect a Christian perspective. What are some things that you've shared with others on many occasions?

For instance, I especially like the Proverb that says: "He who conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will find compasssion." This proverb is useful very often in my own life and in sharing with others.

For a home-spun example, I've often told my family and friends: "It's not a perfect world." In other words, be quick to shake-off the little things that dash our joys and spoil our fun and tarnish our work. It's a reference to the trouble we experience day by day---not an excuse for sinning. Get over it and move ahead.

Share as many as you would like. And . . . thank you.

Javelin
    Defend the Bible? I would just as soon defend a lion. Just turn the Bible loose. It will defend itself.
    -----Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Wisdom and Common Sense

Jav

My co-worker that I work closely with every day is a Christian and we have come up with our own language, so to speak, to address the difficult daily issues that come up, as they always do and always will

We often speak of the divine providence of God when we say to one another......"this too shall pass" and "this too comes by His Hand" which is stated so wonderful and simply in :

Matthew 10:29-30 "Are not two sparrow sold for a farthing and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father...But the very hairs of your head are all numbered"

And those are very common, I am sure.

Our very own I believe is when we are faced with something that we think at the moment is too hard or that we just 'can't' do and we say:

"Only because"............................knowing that as Phil 4:13 tells us:

"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me"

Encouragment throughout the day in Christ Jesus!

Eileen~
    "To those who have no works-phobia, I will state that you are not trembling before the gospel" Robert R. Higby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Spurgeon and Luther have a number of memorable short quotes. One of my favorite from Spurgeon was something like "When our will becomes God's will then our will will always be done."

Rev. Haak said that the problem with modern evangelicalism is that they can't decide how long a day is. When it comes to the sabbath day it is an hour long, when it comes to creation it is millions and millions of years.

I also have found the analogy between theology and the universe and bicycle wheel very helpful. If God is not at the center of our theology it will be lopsided and will be like an astronomer who views everything from the wrong center.
    For quotes about beer and a great woodcut of some people farting at the pope:

http://members.aol.com/Dbix7/beer.html
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my favorite short quote is from A.W. Pink

"The best of men are men at best"
    Grace be with you that love the Lord Jesus Christ in sencerity and love His message

wilson
    http://gleaningsofgrace.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wilsoner
    my favorite short quote is from A.W. Pink

"The best of men are men at best"
    Indeed I am

Here is a good quote I could not resist in giving you:

There’s a story that has lasted a long time not only for its humor but also because of its insight. It’s about a man attempting to discover the mind of God by taking his chances with the Bible. He simply shut his eyes, opened up his Bible, and put his finger on a passage. Opening his eyes, he read this passage from Matthew 27: “Then he went away and hanged himself.” Somehow, the fellow didn’t think that gave him any direction for his problem, so he closed his eyes again and opened his Bible to another passage. He looked and read Jesus’ statement in Luke 10: “Go and do likewise.” That wasn’t quite what he was looking for either, so he tried one more time. He shut his eyes, opened his Bible, and read the statement in John 2:5, “Do whatever he tells you.”*
    Greetings and salutations, el rana

21There are many devices in a man's heart; nevertheless the counsel of the LORD, that shall stand.

Proverbs chapter 19

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wildboar
    For quotes about beer and a great woodcut of some people farting at the pope:

LOL, how true

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."
    Capital Brewery, Middleton, WI

21There are many devices in a man's heart; nevertheless the counsel of the LORD, that shall stand.

Proverbs chapter 19

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I too have been to this site and I love it!

It's funny too that some of my friends who appose the drinking of any type of alcohol, would rather make that an issue of unity rather than true grace. So I send them this link!

I break wind in thier direction!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

Rev. Haak said that the problem with modern evangelicalism is that they can't decide how long a day is. When it comes to the sabbath day it is an hour long, when it comes to creation it is millions and millions of years.

Neither could the ancient Hebrews come to a uniform position on the length of a day! The solar calendar of 364 days began on Wednesday of every year because the 4th day of creation was believed to be the first 24 HOUR day!

We cannot get around the fact that YOM has variant meanings, although the evolutionary view of millions of years is certainly a complete perversion.
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillTwisse

Neither could the ancient Hebrews come to a uniform position on the length of a day! The solar calendar of 364 days began on Wednesday of every year because the 4th day of creation was believed to be the first 24 HOUR day!

We cannot get around the fact that YOM has variant meanings, although the evolutionary view of millions of years is certainly a complete perversion.
    Over one hundred and thirty five referenced quotations and growing! Mostly from evolutionists, satanic cultists, etc. Rather... enlightening...
    I salvaged the following from my old BBS files (c. 1993-94). I apologize for the incomplete references on some of these quotes. Inclusion here is not an endorsement by or of anyone or any position. Many of the quotations are from evolutionists, I would recommend anyone interested in using them in their own work check the source material first to ensure a proper understanding of context.

"I would rather believe in fairy tales than in such wild speculation. I have said for years that speculations about the origin of life lead to no useful purpose as even the simplest living system is far too complex to be understood in terms of the extremely primitive chemistry scientists have used in their attempts to explain the unexplainable. God cannot be explained away by such naive thoughts."
    --Sir Ernst B. Chain, Nobel Laureate (Medicine, 1945), as quoted by Ronald W. Clark, The Life of Ernst Chain (London: Weidenfield & Nicolson, 1985), pp. 147-148.

"I must confess to a feeling of profound humility in the presence of a universe which transcends us at almost every point. I feel like a child who while playing by the seashore has found a few bright colored shells and a few pebbles while the whole vast ocean of truth stretches out almost untouched and unruffled before my eager fingers."
    -Sir Isaac Newton, greatest scientist in history.

"Question is: Can you tell me anything you know about evolution, any one thing, any one thing that is true? I tried that question on the geology staff at the Field Museum of Natural History and the only answer I got was silence. I tried it on the members of the Evolutionary Morphology Seminar in the University of Chicago, a very prestigious body of evolutionists, and all I got there was silence for a long time and eventually one person said, 'I do know one thing - it ought not to be taught in high school.'"
    -Dr. Colin Patterson (Senior Paleontologist, British Museum of Natural History, leading cladistic taxonomist), Keynote address at the American Museum of Natural History, New York City, November 5, 1981.

"I myself am convinced that the theory of evolution, especially the extent to which it's been applied, will be one of the great jokes in the history books of the future. Posterity will marvel that so very flimsy and dubious an hypothesis could be accepted with the incredible credulity that it has."
    -Malcolm Muggeridge (world famous journalist and philosopher), Pascal Lectures, University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.

"Modern Apes, for instance, seem to have sprung out of nowhere. They have no yesterday, no fossil record. And the true origin of modern humans - of upright, naked, tool-making big-brained humans - is, if we are to be honest with ourselves, an equally mysterious matter."
    -Dr. Lyall Watson, "The Water People," Science Digest, Vol. 90, May 1982, p. 44.

"For example, no scientist could logically dispute the proposition that man, without having been involved in any act of divine creation, evolved from some ape-like creature in a very short space of time - speaking in geological terms - without leaving any fossil traces of the steps of the transformation. As I have already implied, students of fossil primates have not been distinguished for caution when working within the logical constraints of their subject. The record is so astonishing that it is legitimate to ask whether much science is yet to be found in this field at all."
    -Lord Solly Zuckerman, M.D., D.Sc., Beyond the Ivory Tower (New York: Taplinger, 1970), p. 64.

"I wish I were younger. What inclines me now to think you may be right in regarding [evolution] as the central and radical lie in the whole web of falsehood that now governs our lives is not so much your arguments against it as the fanatical and twisted attitudes of its defenders."
    -Dr. C.S. Lewis, in letter to Capt. Bernard Acworth of the Evolution Protest Movement, 1951.

"Evolutionism is a fairy tale for grown-ups. This theory has helped nothing in the progress of science. It is useless."
    -Professor Louis Bounoure, past president of the Biological Society of Strassbourg, Director of the Strassbourg Zoological Museum, Director of Research at the French National Center of Scientific Research. (Quoted in The Advocate, March 8, 1984.)

"I fully agree with your comments on the lack of direct illustration of evolutionary transitions in my book. If I knew of any, fossil or living, I would certainly have included them. You suggest that an artist should be used to visualise such transformations, but where would he get the information from? I could not, honestly, provide it, and if I were to leave it to artistic license, would that not mislead the reader?"
    -Dr. Colin Patterson, senior paleontologist at the British Museum of Natural History, in letter to Luther Sunderland, April 10, 1979. Cited in: Sunderland, Luther D., Darwin's Enigma: Fossils and Other Problems (El Cajon, CA: Master Books, 1988), p. 89.

"...Yet Gould and the American Museum people are hard to contradict when they say there are no transitional fossils... You say I should at least 'show a photo of the fossil from which each type of organism was derived.' I will lay it on the line - there is not one such fossil for which one could make a watertight argument."
    -Dr. Colin Patterson, ibid.

"It is easy enough to make up stories of how one form gave rise to another, and to find reasons why the stages should be favoured by natural selection. But such stories are not part of science, for there is no way of putting them to the test."
    -Dr. Colin Patterson, ibid.

"The fossil record of man is still so sparsely known that those who insist on positive declarations can do nothing more than jump from one hazardous surmise to another and hope that the next dramatic discovery does not make them utter fools... Clearly, some people refuse to learn from this. As we have seen, there are numerous scientists and popularizers today who have the temerity to tell us that there is 'no doubt' how man originated. If only they had the evidence... I have gone to some trouble to show that there are formidable objections to all the subhuman and near-human species that have been proposed as ancestors."
    -Fix, William R., The Bone Peddlers: Selling Evolution (New York: Macmillan Publishing Co., 1984), pp. 150-153. (Note: Fix is not a creationist.)

"Scientists of the highest standing would today accept many of [Bishop] Wilberforce's criticisms of Darwin just as they would also accept the criticisms raised by the geologist [and Christian clergyman] Adam Sedgwick, whose review was published in The Spectator in April 1860...
    Missing links in the sequence of fossil evidence were a worry to Darwin. He felt sure that they would eventually turn up, but they are still missing and seem likely to remain so. What we are to make of that fact is still open to debate, but today it is the conventional neo-Darwinians who appear as the conservative bigots and the unorthodox neo-Sedgwickians who rate as enlightened rationalists prepared to contemplate the evidence that is plain for all to see."
    -Professor Sir Edmund Leach, addressing the 1981 Annual Meeting of the British Association for the Advancement of Science.

"This does not mean that the profession is about to abandon Darwin forever or indorse [sic] my views publicly. The situation remains much as it was: the inner circles are full of doubt, but the public utterances are confident. The doubts may be greater now and the confidence less serene, but it will be a long time before the public is given the full dark picture. There is still need for a dissenting voice, a devil's advocate, a skeptical whistle-blower."
    -Norman Macbeth, Darwin Retried: An Appeal to Reason (Boston: Gambit Books, 1971), foreword. (Note: MacBeth, a lawyer, was an evolutionist.)

"ICR's followers take science more seriously than most scientists do..."
    "[ICR faculty have] absolutely respectable, legitimate doctorates from major American universities..."
    "...more than half of the adults in North Carolina accept the general outline of the creationist argument."
    -From a Ph.D. thesis in anthropology, by evolutionist Paul Toumey.

"Biologists are simply naive when they talk about experiments designed to test the theory of evolution. It is not testable. They may happen to stumble across facts which would seem to conflict with its predictions. These facts will invariably be ignored and their discoverers will undoubtedly be deprived of continuing research grants."
    -Professor Whitten (Professor of Genetics), University of Melbourne, Australia, 1980 Assembly Week address.

"Two opposing laws seem to me now in contest. The one, a law of blood and death, opening out each day new modes of destruction, forces nations always to be ready for battle. The other, a law of peace, work and health, whose only aim is to deliver man from the calamities which beset him. The one seeks violent contests, the other the relief of mankind. The one places a single life above all the ambition of a single individual.
    The law of which we are the instruments strives even through the carnage to cure the wounds due to the law of war. Treatment by our antiseptic methods may preserve the lives of thousands of soldiers. Which of these two laws will prevail, God only knows. But of this we may be sure, that science, in obeying the law of humanity, will always labor to enlarge the frontiers of life."
    -Dr. Louis Pasteur, at the inauguration of the Pasteur Institute, 1888.

"A friend of mine, over lunch one day, spoke of the sinking feeling he inevitably gets when each new idea lessening the worth of individuals is put forth. He spoke of the fact that, like abortion, no matter how inhuman or even inane an idea, he gets the sinking feeling because he knows that once it is being espoused by the elite, it is only a matter of time before it is accepted.
    The reason for this is, of course, that in the absence of a firm moral standard each "idea," however implausible, gains credence. It is a case of the morally incompetent leading the morally blind. Ideas of controlling poverty or whatever by mass death that would have been robustly rejected in times past are now "seriously considered" by those pundits who are idly sitting on the wall and watching as mildly interested spectators as their culture disintegrates."
    -Franky Schaeffer,(son of Dr. Francis Schaeffer) A Time for Anger.

"Nature is too thin a screen; the glory of the omnipresent God bursts through everywhere." -Ralph Waldo Emerson.

"The Fool hath said in his heart, 'There is no God.'" (Psalm 14:1)

"...as I became exposed to the law and order of the universe, I was literally humbled by its unerring perfection. I became convinced that there must be a divine intent behind it all... My experiences with science led me to God. They challenge science to prove the existence of God. But must we really light a candle to see the sun?"
    -Dr. Wernher von Braun.

"When confronted with the marvels of life and the universe, one must ask why and not just how. The only possible answers are religious. For me that means Protestant Christianity, to which I was introduced as a child and which has withstood the tests of a lifetime. But religion is a great backyard for doing science. In the words of Psalm 19, "The heavens declare the glory of God and the firmament showeth His handiwork." Thus scientific research is a worshipful act in that it reveals the wonders of God's creation."
    -Arthur L. Schawlow, Nobel Laureate (Physics, 1981).

"The only contribution of thermodynamics to theoretical biology is absolute negation of automatic commencement or automatic maintenance of life."
    -Lord Kelvin, "On the Age of the Sun's Heat," Popular Lectures and Addresses (London: Macmillan, 1889), p. 415.

Quotes from the Creationist view in "Thermodynamic Debating," in Chapter 16 (Thermodynamics), in Dr. Wysong's The Creation-Evolution Controversy (East Lansing, MI: Inquiry Press, 1976):
    "Where is the precedent? Where is one, just one, observed example of random chemicals possessing high entropy (randomness), spontaneously (in the absence of a motor or machine) ordering themselves into anything even remotely akin to the simplest form of life? There are no examples. Even making a system as open as possible (but not interjecting intelligence), no complexity even approaching the order of life occurs."
    "Crystal ordering is the result of the 'information' riding upon atoms, their electrical characteristics and spatial configurations. When atoms form crystals the full potential of their information is realized. There is here a translation of order into order, not a conversion of disorder to order. Similarly, a tree is no greater than its seed. The effect, therefore, is not greater than its cause. A crystal is dead-ended and does not progress to a higher level let alone toward anything akin to the complexity of life. So crystal growth is in full accord with the law that order can only result from preexistent order..."
    "Really, your criticism of my use of thermodynamics to refute evolution lies only with theoretical computations. If forced to retire your pen and point a finger to actual experimental or other observational support for your criticisms, you're pathetically lost. The anemia in the bag of evidences for evolution is vividly portrayed by the modern vogue pro-evolution arguments. You have left the field and laboratory and now feverishly, in collaboration with slide rules and banks of computers, grind out abstract esoteric mathematical formulas and calculations in an effort to prove your case. In other words, rather than demonstrate within the laboratory or field, the feasibility of evolution, you hand me something like: [abstract formula]. Who would dare question this?!"
    "The prolific science writer, Isaac Asimov, an evolutionist like you, said in read to theoretical ideas on the second law: "Using Clausius' term, we can say concisely: In any spontaneous process, entropy either does not change (under ideal cases) or it increases (in real cases). Forgetting the ideal, we can just take it for granted that in the real world about us entropy always increases." [I. Asimov, Life and Energy (N.Y.: Doubleday, 1962), Pp. 57, 58.]
    "Science means observation, and we have never seen the spontaneous origin of order beyond that which was already present in one form or another. There must be a reason for this. That reason is the second law."
    "Another point I wish to make is that the second law not only contradicts spontaneous origins, but also contradicts evolutionary transformations. Evolution of the species means constant and steady increase in order and complexity -- the amoeba to man idea. The second law says no such thing can occur spontaneously.."
    "You confuse quantity of energy with quality of energy -- the abilities of energy. The question is not whether the earth was open in the beginning to sufficient quantities of energy, but rather, whether it was open to sufficient energy abilities and qualities. In other words, could there have been in the beginning a quality of energy that endowed itself with the ability to organize and order molecules into life? The second law would contend that what quality was there would be lost, not that it would upgrade and improve itself."
    (P. 262):
    "[creationists] stress: "The utility of any scientific model is gauged by its ability to predict. It would be virtually impossible to predict the two laws of thermodynamics starting from the assumption that evolution is true. On the other hand, the two laws are predicted and demanded by the creation model, i.e., creation is a past completed event with no current creation being accomplished -- the first law; the physical world, since the creation should be static or qualitatively degeneration -- the second law."

"The theory of evolution... presents only fallacious solutions to the problem of the nature of evolutionary transformations... perhaps we are now in a worse position than in 1859 because we have searched for one century and we have the impression that the different hypotheses are now exhausted. Presently, nature appears to be more steady, more firm and more refractory to changes than we thought... The world supposed by transformation is a phantasmagoric, surrealistic world... Personally I believe this phantasmagoria has existed before the calm and stable reality that we now observe in the nature."
    -Jean Rostand, 1972, quoted in J. Garrido: "Evolution and Molecular Biology," Creation Research Society Quarterly, 10 (1973): 168.

"The gaps are gone, but the links remain -- missing."
    -Douglas Dewar.

"This regular absence of transitional forms is not confined to mammals, but is an almost universal phenomenon, as has long been noted by paleontologists."
    -G. G. Simpson, Tempo and Mode of Evolution (N.Y.: Columbia Univ., 1944), p. 106.

"We do not actually know the phylogenetic history of any group of plants and animals."
    -E. L. Core General Biology (N.Y.: John Wiley, 1961), p. 299.

"To improve a living organism by random mutation is like saying you could improve a Swiss watch by dropping it and bending one of its wheels or axis. Improving life by random mutations has the probability of zero."
    -Albert Szent-Gyorgi, Nobel Laureate (Medicine, 1937).

"To postulate that the development and survival of the fittest is entirely a consequence of chance mutations seems to me a hypothesis based on no evidence and irreconcilable with the facts. These classical evolutionary theories are a gross over-simplification of an immensely complex and intricate mass of facts, and it amazes me that they are swallowed so uncritically and readily, and for such a long time, by so many scientists without a murmur of protest."
    -Sir Ernst B. Chain, Nobel Laureate (Medicine, 1945).

"It's such a deeply ingrained faith, such a strong dogma on which we are all raised from an early age. Interestingly, I've read a number of biographies of scientists who are leaders in both creationist and evolutionary thought. The overwhelming trend is that the leaders of evolutionary thought all make their living purely from evolutionary theory. They are 'specialists in evolution' and there is no way that you could see how someone whose entire life and reputation and livelihood were bound up with the theory could turn against it. On the other hand, the leaders of the creationist movement usually have made a name for themselves in some area of fundamental and applied science -- real science -- before moving into creation science."
    -Kouznetsov, in Dr. Carl Wieland, "Interview with Dr. Dmitri Kouznetsov," Creation Ex Nihilo, Vol. 14, No. 1, p. 36.

"She does not know the Bible. She knows certain quotes that she's mostly taken out of context. But what she did was to pick up literature - for instance a book called Contradictions in the Bible, which has been in print since last century - and learn certain Scripture passages that are supposed to be contradictory." [He said that the Scriptures were not contradictory when you looked at them in context, and put them in the proper timeframe.]
    -Pastor William J. Murray, son of famous atheist Madalyn Murray O'Hair, in Doolan, Robert, "My Mother: The Most Hated Woman in America!" Creation Ex Nihilo, Volume 15, No. 2, p. 36.

"William's mother began to make headlines in 1960, when he was at high school. He recalls that in Baltimore, Maryland, after the family's unsuccessful attempt to defect to the Soviet Union, his mother flew into a rage when she noticed William's school began each day with a prayer and the pledge of allegiance to the American flag.
    She declared war on the practice. While she enraged many Americans over her lack of patriotism, she finally convinced the Supreme Court on June 17, 1963, to ban prayer and Bible-reading from the nation's public schools. NO CHRISTIAN GROUP FILED A BRIEF OPPOSING THEM." (Emphasis mine)
    -Robert Doolan, "My Mother: The Most Hated Woman in America!" Creation Ex Nihilo, Volume 15, No. 2, pp. 36-37.

"She fumed. 'She said, "Why would I want to take perfectly good money and use it to buy hospital equipment? I could use that money to file lawsuits to bar pastors, priests and rabbis from being allowed to go into hospitals."'"
    -Pastor William J. Murray, son of famous atheist Madalyn Murray O'Hair, in Doolan, Robert, "My Mother: The Most Hated Woman in America!" Creation Ex Nihilo, Volume 15, No. 2, p. 37.

"These days William Murray has little in common with his mother. He is a Christian, an evangelist, and would greatly like to see creation science taught alongside evolution in public schools.
    'I think it's imperative that it is, because kids are being taught some kind of theory that changes every 10 years. I was taught in school one type of evolution, now the children are being taught another type. Creation science has much more credibility.'"
    -Pastor William J. Murray, son of famous atheist Madalyn Murray O'Hair, in Doolan, Robert, "My Mother: The Most Hated Woman in America!" Creation Ex Nihilo, Volume 15, No. 2, p. 37.

"Dr. Gish said he doesn't really believe Madalyn Murray O'Hair is an atheist. 'How could anyone hate someone who doesn't exist as much as she hates God?' he said."
    -Anon., "That Fiery Radio Debate: Is She Really an Atheist?," Creation Ex Nihilo, Volume 15, No. 2, p. 37.

"Nine-tenths of the talk of evolutionists is sheer nonsense, not founded on observation and wholly unsupported by facts. This museum is full of proofs of the utter falsity of their views. In all this great museum, there is not a particle of evidence of the transmutation of species."

-Dr. Etheridge, senior paleontologist of the British Museum of Natural History, cited in Dr. Scott Huse, The Collapse of Evolution.

What do our enemies say about us? An ACLU member says:
    "For the past five years, I have closely followed creationist literature and have attended lectures and debates on related issues.... based solely on the scientific arguments pro and con, I have been forced to conclude that scientific creationism is not only a viable theory, but that it has achieved parity with (if not superiority over) the normative theory of biological evolution. That this should now be the case is somewhat surprising, particularly in view of what most of us were taught in primary and secondary school.
    In practical terms, the past decade of intense activity by scientific creationists has left most evolutionist professors unwilling to debate the creationist professors. Too many of the evolutionists have been publicly humiliated in such debates by their own lack of erudition and by the weaknesses of their theory."
    -Robert E. Smith, "Origins and Civil Liberties," in Creation Social Sciences and Humanities Quarterly, 3 (Winter 1980): 23-24.

"At this point the war centering around Darwinism and its control over the scientific discussion of origins is going well for the creationists, and evolution is being defeated in many battles."
    -Dr. Paul D. Ackerman, It's a Young World After All (Grand Rapids: Baker Book House, 1986), p. 12.

"Let me be blunt on this matter. Evolutionists around the world have had to learn the hard way that evolution cannot stand up against creationism in any fair and impartial debate situation where the stakes are the hearts and minds of intelligent, undecided - but nevertheless objective and open-minded - audiences. Experience will prove that the same is true for the age issue as well. Evolutionist beliefs regarding the origin and development of life cannot withstand the scrutiny of an informed opposition, and neither can evolutionist claims to the effect that the universe has existed for 10 to 20 billion years. To delay the collapse of widespread public acceptance of such claims, it will be necessary for evolutionist scientists carefully to avoid debate."
    -Dr. Paul D. Ackerman, It's a Young World After All (Grand Rapids: Baker Book House, 1986), p. 13.

"I believe that one day the Darwinian myth will be ranked the greatest deceit in the history of science."
    -Dr. Soren Lovtrup, Darwinism: The Refutation of a Myth (New York: Croom Helm, 1987), p. 422. (Note: Lovtrup is an evolutionist, albeit not an "orthodox" one.)

"...but if Mayr's characterization of the synthetic theory is accurate, then that theory, as a general proposition, is effectively dead, despite its persistence as textbook orthodoxy."
    -Dr. Stephen Jay Gould, Paleobiology 6 (1):120 (1980).

"So heated is the debate that one Darwinian says there are times when he thinks about going into a field with more intellectual honesty: the used-car business."
    -Sharon Begley, "Science Contra Darwin," Newsweek, April 8, 1985, p. 80.

"Most of us might opt for rejection in most circumstances. Yet in the case of the synthetic theory, we hold it, not with a light hand as advocated by T.H. Huxley, but with an ironclad grasp, unwilling to let go, unwilling to explore alternatives."
    -E.O. Wiley, Systematic Zoology, 24(2):270 (1975).

"...contrary to what is widely assumed by evolutionary biologists today, it has always been the anti-evolutionists, not the evolutionists, in the scientific community who have stuck rigidly to the facts and adhered to a more strictly empirical approach."
    -Dr. Michael Denton, Evolution: A Theory in Crisis (London: Burnett Books, 1985), p. 353, 354. (Note: Dr. Denton is neither a creationist nor a Christian.)

"Just as pre-Darwinian biology was carried out by people whose faith was in the Creator and His plan, post-Darwinian biology is being carried out by people whose faith is in, almost, the deity of Darwin."
    -Dr. Colin Patterson, quoted by Brian Leith, The Listener, 8 October 1981, p. 392.

"It is a religion of science that Darwinism held, and holds men's minds... The modified, but still characteristically Darwinian theory has itself become an orthodoxy, preached by its adherents with religious fervor, and doubted, they feel, only by a few muddlers imperfect in scientific faith."
    -Marjorie Grene, Encounter, November 1959, p. 48.

"You will be greatly disappointed (by the forthcoming book); it will be grievously too hypothetical. It will very likely be of no other service than collating some facts; though I myself think I see my way approximately on the origin of species. But, alas, how frequent, how almost universal it is in an author to persuade himself of the truth of his own dogmas."
    -Charles Darwin, 1858, in a letter, regarding the concluding chapters of his The Origin of the Species. Quoted in "John Lofton's Journal," The Washington Times, February 8, 1984.

"The fact of evolution is the backbone of biology, and biology is thus in the peculiar position of being a science founded on an unproved theory - is it then a science or a faith? Belief in the theory of evolution is thus exactly parallel to belief in special creation - both are concepts which believers know to be true but neither, up to the present, has been capable of proof."
    -L. Harrison Matthews, FRS, Introduction to Darwin's The Origin of the Species (London: J.M. Dent & Sons, 1971), p. xi.

"If the word 'God' were written upon every blowing leaf, embossed on every passing cloud, engraved on every granite rock, the inductive evidence of God in the world would be no stronger than it is."
    -Dr. E.A. Maness.

"It is not difficult for me to have this faith, for it is incontrovertible that where there is a plan there is intelligence - an orderly, unfolding universe testifies to the truth of the most majestic statement ever uttered - 'In the beginning, God.'"
    -Dr. Arthur H. Compton, Nobel Laureate (Physics).

"I cannot admit that, with regard to the origin of life, science neither affirms nor denies Creative Power. Science positively affirms Creative Power. It is not in dead matter that we live and move and have our being, but in the creating and directing Power which science compels us to accept as an article of belief."
    -Lord Kelvin, Father of Thermodynamics and modern Physics.

"Do not be afraid of being free thinkers! If you think strongly enough you will be forced by science to the belief in God, which is the foundation of all religion. You will find science not antagonistic but helpful to religion."
    -Lord Kelvin.

"So many essential conditions are necessary for life to exist on our earth that it is mathematically impossible that all of them could exist in proper relationship by chance on any one earth at one time."
    -Dr. A. Cressy Morrison, past president of the New York Academy of Sciences.

"...science can establish, by the observed facts of Nature and intellectual argumentation, that a super-human Power exists."
    -John C. Monsma, in The Evidence of God in an Expanding Universe.

"Any suppression which undermines and destroys that very foundation on which scientific methodology and research was erected, evolutionist or otherwise, cannot and must not be allowed to flourish. ...It is a confrontation between scientific objectivity and ingrained prejudice - between logic and emotion - between fact and fiction. ...In the final analysis, objective scientific logic has to prevail - no matter what the final result is - no matter how many time-honored idols have to be discarded in the process...
    After all, it is not the duty of science to defend the theory of evolution and stick by it to the bitter end - no matter what illogical and unsupported conclusions it offers. ...If in the process of impartial scientific logic, they find that creation by outside superintelligence is the solution to our quandary, then let's cut the umbilical cord that tied us down to Darwin for such a long time. It is choking us and holding us back.
    ...Every single concept advanced by the theory of evolution (and amended hereafter) is imaginary as it is not supported by the scientifically established facts of microbiology, fossils, and mathematical probability concepts. Darwin was wrong. ...The theory of evolution may be the worst mistake in science."
    -I.L. Cohen, in Darwin Was Wrong - A Study in Probabilities.

Proverbs chapter 19

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ray, thanks for those qoutes. I shall use them in my science class should folly gush forth from my instuctor's or any of the other student's mouth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the beer quotes; that's why I pee a lot!