Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2

Thread: Bible choice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Bible choice

Quote Originally Posted by melted
    My main Bible is NASB updated, but I've been thinking about getting an ESV as well. I have the ESV in my Bible software and have found it to be very accurate thus far. The only obviously bad parts I've run across is the translation of Mat 16:19 and Mat 18:18. I'm sure there are more, just haven't discovered them yet.
    And what about those verses do you not like?

Dave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In many ways the Berkeley can be considered the more conservative counterpart to the RSV. There are couple of good books on bible translations and alot of bad ones. Stay away from the one edited by Comfort (the editor at Tyndale house thinks the NLT is the greatest thing since sliced bread...surprise, surprise!). Although I disagree with many of their conclusions, the two most helpful for information on Bible translations that I have found thus far are The Journey From Texts to Translations by Paul D. Wegner and The Bible in Translation by Bruce Metzger. In my opinion Metzger's opinion of the NRSV is a little too high and he spends a little too much time on it in the book but he did work on it after all. The Word of God in English by Leland Ryken does a good job of showing the problems with dynamic equivalence translations and translations which read like newspapers. He also has a shorter little booklet that is a summary of his larger book. The New King James Version: in the Great Tradition by Arthur Farstad provides alot of good information on that particular translation especially regarding improvements made over the KJV. I've also noticed that the TNIV makes a number of significant improvements over the NIV, it's a shame they went the gender-neutral route on some of the passages though (and no God doesn't become an it in the Bible). Grudem and Poythress have a good book on the problems with the TNIV.
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder
    And what about those verses do you not like?

Dave
    Here is the NASB:
    Mat 18:18 "Truly I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven.

and ESV:
    Mat 18:18 Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

These verses improperly translated give the religionists of today ammo for their belief that things happen in heaven AFTER or BECAUSE OF things that happen on earth. A greek scholar may provide additional commentiary, but the verbs are future perfect passive. Perfect is a completed action in the past with continuing results. The NASB nailed this one, but KJV and ESV, among others, messed it up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2