Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast

Thread: Tatoos Biblical?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tatoos Biblical?

I am seeing more and more people running around getting tatoos.
    I think that it is clear that churches are not preaching against this (they don't even preach Sola Fide).
    Tatoo shops are a very profitable business.
    Local newspapers have even run front page articles on tatoos and how even preachers are getting them.
    Anybody got any good arguments?

Red Beetle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts

Re: Tatoos Biblical?

Churches aren't even preaching the Gospel. I can't imagine why anyone would want a tatoo, but if men were truly Gospel believers, they would probably want to shy away from such a thing. After all Gospel believers don't want to bring attention to themselves in displays of pride.
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are you speaking of tats in general or are you seeing "Christian" symbols inked on peoples skin?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess I don't see what the big deal is. I think this is an issue of freedom and conscience and that we should not be legalistic about it. I don't think he would mind me telling people on this forum but Scott Price who pastors my church got a large tatoo put on his upper arm about two years ago, it says "Gospel Defense" on it and has a picture of a man (Christ) slaying the dragon, which is meant to picture of the Gospel. His reason for doing it? He is so serious about the true biblical gospel that he willing to permanently mark his body with the truth.

I guess some would think we are radical or even antinomian.
    Anthony Lawson, sinner saved by imputed righteousness

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts

Thanks Anthony... The Gospel should be preached - not anti-tatoo messages
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree the gospel should be preached, not anti-tattoo messages, but what do we teach our children at home about tattoos and such? I have a 14 yr old son who asks lots of questions. I don't mean to be legalistic, but to me getting religious tattoos is a little like trying to mix worldliness and the gospel, just the way modern-day religion has done with music. Where do we draw the line? I don't know. I guess it's all about motive, just like everything else.

I saw a woman yesterday with the christian fish symbol tattooed on her lower back.

Carol
    Run John Run! The Law commands,
    But gives me neither feet, nor hands,
    Far grander news the gospel brings,
    It bids me fly, and gives me wings.
    ----John Bunyan

http://members.cox.net/ckizzz/index

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts

Christians don't need symbols to worship the Lord. We worship the Lord in spirit and in truth. Meditation and rejoicing in the truth is true worship. Not painting a cross on the wall or flashing a silly fish symbol to our neighbors
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Crisp
    it and has a picture of a man (Christ) slaying the dragon
    You've just brought up a whole new topic - pictures of Christ.
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One thing that I think is (and I'm being selective with my words here) stupid, is when people put these 'christian' bumberstickers, fish, doves, etc on their cars and they drive like idiots. If you have one of these on your car and drive like this do us all a favor and pull it of right now. I'm not saying that I never speed or push the limit but if you are going to advertise your 'faith' on your car then use your car accordingly. Otherwise you only bring reproch upon other believers and the name of God. This is why I have a #48 and #24 sticker on my truck to represent my favorite NASCAR drivers, that way people say,'Oh it's ok he's a NASCAR fan, he can speed if he want's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Gill
    You've just brought up a whole new topic - pictures of Christ.
    Actually I put Christ in parathesis without thinking. The picture is a man slaying a dragon and the symbolism is the truth of the gospel slaying the lies and false gospels of the world. Sorry for the confusion.
    Anthony Lawson, sinner saved by imputed righteousness

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
    One thing that I think is (and I'm being selective with my words here) stupid, is when people put these 'christian' bumberstickers, fish, doves, etc on their cars and they drive like idiots. If you have one of these on your car and drive like this do us all a favor and pull it of right now. I'm not saying that I never speed or push the limit but if you are going to advertise your 'faith' on your car then use your car accordingly. Otherwise you only bring reproch upon other believers and the name of God. This is why I have a #48 and #24 sticker on my truck to represent my favorite NASCAR drivers, that way people say,'Oh it's ok he's a NASCAR fan, he can speed if he want's.
    True! I'm reminded of an anecdote (I don't remember where I heard it):

A Christian is driving in rush hour traffic, having had a bad work day. The guy behind him honks, and he's thinking "I can't go anywhere buddy". The guy honks again; now he starts to get mad. Finally a third honk and he flies out the car to give the honker a piece of his mind. As he's charging toward the car behind him, the honker calls out "I love your 'Honk if you love Jesus' bumper sticker!".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
    ROFL!!!!!!!!!!! That was great Doc!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Gill
    Christians don't need symbols to worship the Lord. We worship the Lord in spirit and in truth. Meditation and rejoicing in the truth is true worship. Not painting a cross on the wall or flashing a silly fish symbol to our neighbors
    I have to ask this question here because I have had different responses from different people.

What does that fish actually stand for? I know it's become some sort of pop symbol of faith, but why the fish? I have had people tell me it was a sign the early church used. I've had some say it's a symbol of Jesus feeding the 5,000, and symbolic that he feeds us all. I've heard some others as well. So, why the fish??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts

This is what a web page on the net has to say... I'm not at all suggesting this is true or not. I don't know.

http://pigseye.kennesaw.edu/~bgibbs/ixoyefish.htm
    IXQ U S
    The earliest followers of Jesus were persecuted and forced to worship in hidden locations. Often these believers would scratch the secret symbol of a fish in the ground to help them identify other Christians.

Not only was fish a common food of the day, often used and referenced by Jesus during His ministry, but the letters which make up the Greek word for "fish" (IXQ U S ) also spell out a secret message about our Lord. I-Jesus, X-Christ, Q -Godís, U -Son, S -Savior.

The fish symbol transcends differences in cultures and denominations. Throughout generations the fish symbol continues to identify the true followers of Jesus Christ.
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What Darth Gill posted about the fish symbol is true.

Some would use the passage in Leviticus against making cuts in the flesh a prohibition against tattoos. The cuts being made were those used in various pagan rituals and I don't think the passage can be used to make a judgment across the board on the issue. If we did we would also have to follow the prohibition against wearing clothing made of two different types of materials.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how wise it is for a Christian to get a tattoo, to be spending that kind of money and doing something which can potentially cause health problems.

Paul says he bore the marks(stigmata) of Christ and some have taken this to refer to some type of tattoo. There is record in early church history of Christians being branded with some type of symbol to keep people from buying and selling to them. I think the probability that this is what the passage refers to is pretty weak but even if it was, it wasn't something which Paul asked for. He gloried in being branded as a Christian just as he gloried in his beatings but he didn't seek those things out.
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as making images of Christ I believe that is forbidden by the 2nd Commandment, but that is another topic which has been addressed elsewhere.
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to be honest; I find the idea of a tattoo in an inconspicuous place saying something like "Jesus is Lord" would be kind of neat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kingsportjudo
    I am seeing more and more people running around getting tatoos.
    I think that it is clear that churches are not preaching against this (they don't even preach Sola Fide).
    Tatoo shops are a very profitable business.
    Local newspapers have even run front page articles on tatoos and how even preachers are getting them.
    Anybody got any good arguments?

Red Beetle
    Brother Beetle , I have always been of the opinion that tatoo's stoke the pride of man, folks looking to get attention. It is a humanist cultural stain on the body that sadly makes folks look like circus freaks at times.

That being said, folks who would consider getting one, ought to give there head a shake. I consider it to be a pagan practice and a modification to the body the Lord seen fit to create as such without it.

When younger I had the opportunity to get one, as it was the "in" thing my friends were getting. I have always seen it as deplorable, making ugly what God has made beautiful.
    Greetings and salutations, el rana

21There are many devices in a man's heart; nevertheless the counsel of the LORD, that shall stand.

Proverbs chapter 19

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ray I'm not disagreeing with you, but I have to ask...What about make-up and piercings? Aren't they ment to adorn the body and bring attention to the wearer?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts

I'm apt to agree with Ray on this subject. This is only my opinion, and I am in no way condemning folks who get tattoos. If you want one, go right ahead.

I personally think it's utterly ridiculous and absurd! It sounds dangerous, and to be quite honest with you, it sounds like it hurts a lot too! Ouch! Which reminds me - why do women get their ears pierced? I mean ouch! The notion of punching holes in ears seems stupid also!

Nevertheless, I think Saints need to be directed to the Gospel to come to a conclusion on how to deal with the topic of tattoos.

This is my signature.

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast