Pristine Grace

Thread: I published my translation of Revelation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I published my translation of Revelation

I decided to publish my translation of Revelation in the hopes of raising money to purchase books to continue my translation work abd also in the hopes that it will encourage the reformed community to engage in a similar translation project. It can be purchased here: http://www.lulu.com/content/139332
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Re: I published my translation of Revelation

Hey, way cool... ya mean we don't get free copies?
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

WB,
    My order is on its way as I type.....so start printing!

Eileen~
    "To those who have no works-phobia, I will state that you are not trembling before the gospel" Robert R. Higby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for ordering, I'm looking forward to receiving my own copies in the mail. Formatting took me much longer than I thought it was going to. I'll be glad to get back to the translating. I'll be getting some to sell on consignment at Baker Book House but will have to price them higher (If I kept it at the current price after Baker took their commission I would end up losing money). I'll probably be placing an ad in Christian Renewal as well. If anyone else knows an appropriate place to market this let me know. Sitting at my computer hasn't been the most pleasant experience lately. Please keep my family in your prayers. I've been having some numbness in my leg for quite some time and some back pain that has progressively gotten worse. I've just recently gone to have it checked out (including the oh so pleasant electrical shocking and needle poking). Anyhow, I have two herniated disks (one of which is blocking my spinal fluid canal) in my spine and the neurologist didn't think physical therapy would help. It looks as if surgery may be in my future. We're not in the best financial situation as it is. I know that the Lord will provide but my flesh gets stressed at times. On a more positive note a friend of mine has asked me to lead a worship service at a nursing home in a couple of weeks so I'm very much looking forward to that.

In Christ,
    WildBoar
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Hi Charles,

Sorry to hear of your back pain. Seriously. I'm sure it is very painful.

Would you give us a sample of your translation?

Brandan
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm actually not in very much pain at the moment, just numbness in my right leg. The vicadin seems to have taken care of the pain. I've had much worse back pain in the past and so both the doctor and I were surprised how bad the x-rays looked--I can still do just about everything normally. I'd be happy to provide a sample if there is a specific passage you are interested in. There are a couple of sample pages at the website where my book can be purchased.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wildboar
    I decided to publish my translation of Revelation in the hopes of raising money to purchase books to continue my translation work abd also in the hopes that it will encourage the reformed community to engage in a similar translation project. It can be purchased here: http://www.lulu.com/content/139332
    Hi WB.Congratulations on your translation as that is indeed a major "task".
    Is there anything that really struck out at you during your study of it? Another words, did you find that it helped you comprehend the Bible in more ways than if you would have just "read" it through? What resources did you use and how much experience in the greek do you have? I would like to exegesis revelation with you sometime if you ever get interested.
    I put up most of my studies at the NJMB though I have some on 5Solas:
    http://newjerusalemministriesboards....splay.php?f=82
    Blessings.
    "There are Signs of a new upsurge of interest in the Study of Scriptures: a New Readiness to Test Traditions, Search the Scriptures and Rightly Divide the Word "I am the WAY the TRUTH the LIFE and the RESURRECTION and no man can come to the FATHER but by ME"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

InChristAlways:

Just the necessity of slowing down and analyzation that it takes to translate I found to be the most helpful. The Deity of Christ came screaming through as I read and in every book that I have translated thus far God's Sovereignty in all things becomes so clear in the Scriptures. It also made it very difficult for me to understand how people can hold to millenial beliefs after working their way through Revelation. The symbolism is just astounding and it seems as if they are just plucking out what they want to take literally. Those are the things that stick out the most. I've moved onto other books and so most recently it has just been some mild revision work that I did on Revelation. If I answered the same questions a couple of years ago I would probably have much more to say. I consulted a number of commentaries but found G. K. Beale's to be the most helpful and it is the most influential upon my work. As far as lexicons go, I relied mostly upon BDAG but would also consult Thayer's and Louw and Nida's along with a few others. I received my B.A. in Greek from Calvin College. The first two semesters were classical Greek grammar and reading, then a semester on the Gospel of Mark, then a semester of the letters of Paul, then a semester reading Plato's Apology, then a semester of Homer's Odyssey, then a semester of Thucydides and Eusebius, and then a semester of Revelation and 1 Peter which is where the bulk of the work that you see here came from. I also did and continue to do alot of self-study work in the areas of textual criticism and translation and I've familiarized myself with the major Greek grammars (BDF, Robertson's, Wallace).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

InChristAlways:
    Just the necessity of slowing down and analyzation that it takes to translate I found to be the most helpful. The Deity of Christ came screaming through as I read and in every book that I have translated thus far God's Sovereignty in all things becomes so clear in the Scriptures. It also made it very difficult for me to understand how people can hold to millenial beliefs after working their way through Revelation.

The symbolism is just astounding and it seems as if they are just plucking out what they want to take literally. Those are the things that stick out the most.
    Hi WB. The symbolism is indeed AWSOME, but it is no different than it is in the OT book of Ezekiel which is one of the most symbolic books in the Bible. Those 2 are so "scripturally linked", I couldn't tell them apart without a "program" and would take me a lifetime just to intepret/translate that book alone LOL. If you ever start working on Ezekiel, let me know, ok? For example:

Ezekiel 39:17 " And as for you, son of man, thus says the Lord GOD, 'Speak to every sort of bird and to every beast of the field: "Assemble yourselves and come; Gather together from all sides to My Sacrificial Meal Which I am sacrificing for you, A Great Sacrificial Meal on the mountains of Israel, That you may eat flesh

Reve 19:17 Then I saw an angel standing in the sun; and he cried with a Loud Voice, saying to all the birds that fly in the midst of heaven, "Come and gather together for the Supper of the Great God, 18 "that you may eat the flesh
    "There are Signs of a new upsurge of interest in the Study of Scriptures: a New Readiness to Test Traditions, Search the Scriptures and Rightly Divide the Word "I am the WAY the TRUTH the LIFE and the RESURRECTION and no man can come to the FATHER but by ME"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm just barely starting to learn Hebrew so any Hebrew translating of Ezekiel is very far down the road.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I decided to publish my translation of Revelation in the hopes of raising money to purchase books to continue my translation work abd also in the hopes that it will encourage the reformed community to engage in a similar translation project. It can be purchased here: http://www.lulu.com/content/139332 I'll be glad to get back to the translating. I'll be getting some to sell on consignment at Baker Book House but will have to price them higher (If I kept it at the current price after Baker took their commission I would end up losing money). I'll probably be placing an ad in Christian Renewal as well. If anyone else knows an appropriate place to market this let me know.
    Hi WB. Thought I would bumb this up for others interested in your translation of Revelation.
    On another forum, this guy is doing a complete exegesis on the greek word for righteous[he already has 6 pages on it there] and its uses in the NT if you are interested and maybe can help you on your translations in the future. I find it pretty interesting myself. Blessings.

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...ad.php?t=53886
    the noun δικαιοσυνη / dikaiosunh / dee-kai-aw-SUE-nay = what God requires; what is right, righteousness, justice; righting wrong; (God’s) putting (man) in a right relationship (with Himself); religious duties or acts of charity (Matthew 6:1)
    Comment [color and bracketed insertions added]:Romans 3:10-20 (Anchor Bible)

3:10 [. . .] No one is upright [δικαιος], no, not one. The first quotation enunciates Paul’s thesis. The list quotes Qoh 7:20, but not exactly. The LXX of Qoh 7:20 reads, οτι ανθρωπος ουκ εστιν δικαιος εν τη γη, “since there is no upright human being on earth,” which is an exact translation of the Hebrew MT. The addition of ουδε εις “not even one,” enhances the statement of Qoheleth; here the second negative does not cancel out the first, but emphasizes the first part (see BDF §302.2; 432.2). Some commentators, however, think Paul is quoting Psalm 14:3 or even Psalm 53:4, but, as Dunn notes (Romans, 150), the wording is closer to Qoh 7:20. In admitting as much, however, Dunn strangely says (Romans, 149), “As can be readily seen, the LXX is followed in every case.” But is it? Note the repeated use of the same idea by the Qumran psalmist; 1QH 9:14 (“No one is righteous in your judgement, and no one innocent in a suit before you”); 4:29-31; 7:17, 28-29; 12:31-32; 13:16-17; 16:11.
    20. Since no human being will be justified [δικαιοω] before him. Literally, “since all flesh will not be justified before him.” Thus Paul sums up the argument that he began in 1:18. The mention of “justified [δικαιοω],” however, serves as a transition to the main positive explanation of the theme announced in 1:16-17. Paul now alludes to Psalm143:2, which in the LXX reads, ου δικαιωθησεται [= future passive of δικαιοω] ενωπιον σου πας ζων, “no living being will be justified [δικαιοω] before you,” which almost exactly reproduces the Hebrew of the MT. Paul echoes the psalmist’s confession of his unrighteous status before God. The psalm is one of personal lament, in which the psalmist admits his sinfulness and God’s transcendent righteousness; he confesses his inability to vindicate himself and appeals for vindication (143:1) through God’s “fidelity” (αληθεια, Hebrew אמונה) and “uprightness” (δικαιοσυνη, Hebrew צדק). [. . .] — Joseph A. Fitzmyer, Romans (Anchor Bible); Doubleday, 1993

He also posts his studies here:
    http://www.johnreece.us/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wildboar
    Thanks for ordering, I'm looking forward to receiving my own copies in the mail. Formatting took me much longer than I thought it was going to. I'll be glad to get back to the translating. I'll be getting some to sell on consignment at Baker Book House but will have to price them higher (If I kept it at the current price after Baker took their commission I would end up losing money). I'll probably be placing an ad in Christian Renewal as well. If anyone else knows an appropriate place to market this let me know. Sitting at my computer hasn't been the most pleasant experience lately. Please keep my family in your prayers. I've been having some numbness in my leg for quite some time and some back pain that has progressively gotten worse. I've just recently gone to have it checked out (including the oh so pleasant electrical shocking and needle poking). Anyhow, I have two herniated disks (one of which is blocking my spinal fluid canal) in my spine and the neurologist didn't think physical therapy would help. It looks as if surgery may be in my future. We're not in the best financial situation as it is. I know that the Lord will provide but my flesh gets stressed at times. On a more positive note a friend of mine has asked me to lead a worship service at a nursing home in a couple of weeks so I'm very much looking forward to that.

In Christ,
    WildBoar
    Chuck, I will pray for you brother. I know of stress both financial and physical and am not ashamed of them anymore. They lead one closer to their Lord and show one how unable they are to stand in their own strength. It is that kind of pummeling I need, you need and continually needed. Whom the Lord loveth He chastiseth.

May the Lord prosper your work here to His honor and glory, and for the upbuilding of the saints.

Warm greetings to your wife, the little one, and you. May the Lord grant recovery in due course.

"Hear my prayer , O Lord, and give ear unto my cry; hold not they peace at my tears: for I am a stranger with thee, and a sojourner, as all my fathers were. O spare me, that I may recover strength, before I go hence, and be no more" Psalm 39:12,13
    Greetings and salutations, el rana

21There are many devices in a man's heart; nevertheless the counsel of the LORD, that shall stand.

Proverbs chapter 19

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Question Re: I published my translation of Revelation

Charles, did you want us to delete this thread?
    http://www.5solas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1600
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Darth Gill:

Yes, please do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

WB

I received my copy in the mail today!! It 'looks' great and I'm looking forward to reading through it the first time.

Eileen~
    "To those who have no works-phobia, I will state that you are not trembling before the gospel" Robert R. Higby