Pristine Grace
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob's Article: The Two Seeds (of evil)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: The Two Seeds

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Ross
    <Bill Twisse>
    >>...There is no published source between the apostles and Luther that clearly enumerates the scriptural doctrine of Christís imputed righteousness received by faith alone....

<Bill Ross>
    Hello. I have not been on this list since May.

Can you please document where Luther believed in the Reformed concept of "Christ's imputed righteousness received by faith alone...."? I do not think he shared the reformed view at all. In fact, I do not believe that Calvin did either, so if you can show that, I would appreciate you posting it as well.

Thanks!

Bill Ross
    I believe that Calvin taught this in a number of places in his commentaries on Romans such as 4:6, 4:24, 10:4, but perhaps clearest of all is in his comments on 10:3:
    Quote Originally Posted by John Calvin
    We have already stated, in another place, how men put on the righteousness of God by faith, that is, when the righteousness of Christ is imputed to them.
    Rom 10:3-4 For not knowing about God's righteousness and seeking to establish their own, they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God. For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes
    At least according to the following so did Luther:
    1. Faith without works is sufficient for salvation, and alone justifies

2. Justifying faith is a sure trust, by which one believes that his sins are remitted for Christ's sake; and they that are justified are to believe certainly that their sins are remitted.

3. By faith only we are able to appear before God, who neither regards nor has need of our works; faith only purifying us.

4. No previous disposition is necessary to justification;neither does faith justify because it disposes us, but because it is a means or instrument by which the promise and grace of God are laid hold on and received.

5. All the works of men, even the most sanctified, are sin.

6. Though the just ought to believe that his works are sins, yet he ought to be assured that they are not imputed.

7. Our righteousness is nothing but the imputation of the righteousness of Christ; and the just have need of a continual justification and imputation of the righteousness of Christ.

8. All the justified are received into equal grace and glory; and all Christians are equally great with the virgin Mary, and as much saints as she is.

From MARTIN LUTHER'S EIGHT STATEMENTS
    Martin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

Bill Ross:

Can you please document where Luther believed in the Reformed concept of "Christ's imputed righteousness received by faith alone...."? I do not think he shared the reformed view at all. In fact, I do not believe that Calvin did either, so if you can show that, I would appreciate you posting it as well.

Here is a link to begin the study of Luther; do a scan of Luther's Works online and you will find selected writings from the Wittenberg project: the 1535 commentary on Gal. 2:14-16 is a good starting point.

http://www.iclnet.org/pub/resources/...b/gal2-14.html

I don't have time to post Calvin tonight but I'm sure there are thousands of references (as there are in Luther).

You should not challenge well-documented facts of history without contrary evidence of your own.
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Bill Ross is the old resident 5solas "Jehovah's Witness" (well not exactly - Arian though)... He started posting here a few years ago before you came to the forum Bob.
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Luther and Calvin on Imputed Righteousness

<Bill>
    I do not purport to be an expert on these guys, by any means, but I think it is very clear to me from having read a significant amount of both authors that they do not agree with Berkhoff et al on the idea of being justified by obtaining the law-derived merits of Jesus.

In the passage you cite, Luther speaks of the *forgiveness of sins* on the basis of *faith*:

1. Faith without works is sufficient for salvation, and alone justifies

2. Justifying faith is a sure trust, by which one believes that his sins are remitted for Christ's sake; and they that are justified are to believe certainly that their sins are remitted.

3. By faith only we are able to appear before God, who neither regards nor has need of our works; faith only purifying us.

4. No previous disposition is necessary to justification;neither does faith justify because it disposes us, but because it is a means or instrument by which the promise and grace of God are laid hold on and received.

5. All the works of men, even the most sanctified, are sin.

When he subsequently speaks of the "righteousness of Christ" (an unscriptural term) it is safe to understand it as the righteousness of faith referred to above, and not some unannounced idea of a transfer of merit from Jesus' Torah observance:

6. Though the just ought to believe that his works are sins, yet he ought to be assured that they are not imputed.

7. Our righteousness is nothing but [HERE I WOULD READ EXCLUSIVELY, RATHER THAN A DEFINITION!] the imputation of the righteousness of Christ; and the just have need of a continual justification and imputation of the righteousness of Christ.

8. All the justified are received into equal grace and glory; and all Christians are equally great with the virgin Mary, and as much saints as she is.

As to Calvin, he is crystal clear that he believes that justification consists entirely in the forgiveness of sins, not in imputed merit:

(Sins are remitted only through the righteousness of Christ, 21-23)
    21. Justification, reconciliation, forgiveness of sins

Let us now consider the truth of what was said in the definition, viz., that justification by faith is reconciliation with God, and that this consists solely in the remission of sins. We must always return to the axioms that the wrath of God lies upon all men so long as they continue sinners. This is elegantly expressed by Isaiah in these words: "Behold, the Lord's hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear: but your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear," (Isaiah 59: 1, 2.) We are here told that sin is a separation between God and man; that His countenance is turned away from the sinner; and that it cannot be otherwise, since, to have any intercourse with sin is repugnant to his righteousness. Hence the Apostle shows that man is at enmity with God until he is restored to favour by Christ, (Rom. 5: 8-l0.) When the Lord, therefore, admits him to union, he is said to justify him, because he can neither receive him into favor, nor unite him to himself, without changing his condition from that of a sinner into that of a righteous man. We adds that this is done by remission of sins. For if those whom the Lord has reconciled to himself are estimated by works, they will still prove to be in reality sinners, while they ought to be pure and free from sin. It is evident therefore, that the only way in which those whom God embraces are made righteous, is by having their pollutions wiped away by the remission of sins, so that this justification may be termed in one word the remission of sins.

http://www.smartlink.net/~douglas/ca...#twentythr.htm

So, the idea of the Treasury of Merits justification is actually both a later (Berkhoff, et al) and earlier (Judaism) idea.

And of course, it does not agree with Paul.

Bill Ross

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for pointing this out Bill - I know just what you're meaning.... (Not that righteousness is not imputed to the believer through Christ's death, but what that righteousness is based upon - the merits of Christ's law-keeping life AND his death, or simply that righteousness of God put to the believer's account through his death alone ie. being justified by his blood. The taking away of our sin means we are forgiven and thus righteous in God's eyes).

Folks here might be interested to read the following article on the subject of Christ's 'active odedience'...

http://www.ids.org/pdf/imputation.pdf

(Although this subject seems a little bit 'off-topic' from the Two Seeds so I don't intend to discuss it here)

Ian
    "For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ" John 1:17

www.graceandtruthonline.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Also the following article details the response which the authors of my previously linked article received from 'FIRE' and their answers.

http://www.ids.org/pdf/fire.pdf

These articles and more can be found on http://www.ids.org

Which is connected with http://www.ncbf.net

Anyone here familiar with this church?

Ian
    "For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ" John 1:17

www.graceandtruthonline.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Ian,

I'm pretty Familar with it. I live in the Northern Arizona and NCBF is held on the ASU Campus in Tempe AZ. I have met and talked with one of the Elders from the church about NCT recently. I like the ministry they do and have read all their theological papers.

Forester07

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question The Two Seeds in John 17?

Bob,

In your final post on "The Two Seeds" I note that you didn't include John 17:6-9 in the scriptures you cited. I am wondering whether you consider it to have any bearing upon this topic?

I may be wrong but it does seem to me to lend support to this idea:
    6 "I have manifested Your name to the men whom You gave Me out of the world; they were Yours and You gave them to Me, and they have kept Your word.

7 "Now they have come to know that everything You have given Me is from You;

8 for the words which You gave Me I have given to them; and they received them and truly understood that I came forth from You, and they believed that You sent Me.

9 "I ask on their behalf; I do not ask on behalf of the world, but of those whom You have given Me; for they are Yours
    I read this as implying that all the ones who are God's were Given to Jesus. I realise that it doesn't prove anything. It could be argued to support double predestination in much the same way whilst denying the concept of two different seeds. Nevertheless, I thought it worth bringing up as it implies that those who were not given to Jesus were not given because they were not God's to give (not in the sense of denying his overall ownership as creator but in the sense of not being His sons). To me, this does speak of more than just a common mass of humanity out of which both elect and reprobate were chosen.

Also, I am wondering whether your recent studies and 'discoveries' that you have alluded to in other posts have had any impact on the position you have set out in this thread? I am not meaning to force your hand to post before you are ready to do so but would appreciate your thoughts in due course.

Warmest Christian regards,
    Martin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

Martin (on John 16:7-9)

To me, this does speak of more than just a common mass of humanity out of which both elect and reprobate were chosen.

Also, I am wondering whether your recent studies and 'discoveries' that you have alluded to in other posts have had any impact on the position you have set out in this thread?

I agree fully with your interpretation. The parable of the sower is more explicit on the deliberate hiding of the truth from the reprobate and that is why I cited it. Those who deny a positive reprobation will no doubt read 'selection from among an already fallen mass' into the expression 'the men whom You gave Me out of the world' in John 16--even though I do not believe this is contextual but reading preconceptions into the text. I believe that Mk. 4:11,12 is still the clearest statement of Christ on a positive reprobation:

Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God; but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables: that seeing they may see and not perceive; and hearing they may hear and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted and their sins should be forgiven them.

Compare this to the Dead Sea Scroll 1QH16 on the theme of God's hiding the truth from those predestined to condemnation:

The shoot of holiness grows up into a planting of truth, hidden and not esteemed. And because it is not known its secret is sealed up. But you, O God, you protect its fruit with the mystery of powerful warriors, holy spirits, and the whirling flame of fire so that none may [partake of the] fountain of life, nor with eternal trees drink the waters of holiness, nor make his fruit flourish with the plant of the heavens. Namely, the one though he sees has not recognized, and considering has not believed in the spring of life . . .

The manuscript then goes on to describe in detail how God has opened up all these realities of understanding truth to the elect--when they come into his covenant.
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Bob's Article: The Two Seeds

Bob's Two Seed Articles has been made into article form at : http://www.5solas.org/media.php?id=578

His five part article as well as comments on it can also be found in the Noteworthy Archived Discussions forum.
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Person and Work of Christ.
    The truth about who Jesus was in his incarnation and the redemption achieved in his work for the elect is certainly the core of the gospel. This includes the facts regarding Christ’s true deity, humanity, sinless life, atoning death, resurrection, and coronation as Lord of all.
    I agree with this 100%

God’s purpose in reprobation isto glorify himself in the opposite manner than he is glorified from redemption. God purposed from eternity to create a people unto damnation--a people who would have souls incapable of regeneration, a people whom he and the saints would always hate and joyfully celebrate their downfall and condemnation.
    I must totally disagee with the second part, as nowhere are we told to hate others, though we may hate what they do [just as God knew Esau would give up his birthright to Jacob].
    I always felt God was glorified by having a complete reprobate sinner accepting Christ through the preaching of the Gospel [good news] to others.
    Was not God and Christ glorified in Paul's conversion? Were not the people that knew him amazed and stunned by this?
    When Christ came to me, I was almost like Paul, and to this day my family is still in awe of that change along with those around me that knew me, and because of this, others started believing in Christ and wanting to discuss the Bible. I feel God is glorified more when a reprobate unbeliever comes to Him because of the Light that shown from us. Sorry, but I just view it differently in scriptures as it is all about glorifying God while glorying in Him and the Son. Blessings.

Matthew 5:16 "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

Saul fled to Jerusalem, hoping to join the original Christian community for a while and discuss Jesus' commission to him with the leadership there. However, the last time Christians in Jerusalem had seen Saul, he had been rounding up believers and throwing them in jail. They were very concerned that he had not really changed, but possibly was attempting to become a mole in the group in order to destroy them from the inside out. Still today, when a notorious sinner decides to follow Christ, many do not believe it. Yes, there are charlatans, but there are also genuine converts. Paradoxically, Paul again found himself on the opposite end of where he once was. Previously, he had agreed with the execution of Stephen for preaching the Gospel. Now, a plot to kill Paul was being hatched by his former compatriots for the same reason.
    "There are Signs of a new upsurge of interest in the Study of Scriptures: a New Readiness to Test Traditions, Search the Scriptures and Rightly Divide the Word "I am the WAY the TRUTH the LIFE and the RESURRECTION and no man can come to the FATHER but by ME"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Prov 1:26, (KJV), I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;

Quote Originally Posted by ICA
    I always felt God was glorified by having a complete reprobate sinner accepting Christ through the preaching of the Gospel [good news] to others.
    A reprobate sinner has never been converted. Only elect sinners are converted.
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

God’s purpose in reprobation isto glorify himself in the opposite manner than he is glorified from redemption. God purposed from eternity to create a people unto damnation--a people who would have souls incapable of regeneration, a people whom he and the saints would always hate and joyfully celebrate their downfall and condemnation.
    I must totally disagee with the second part, as nowhere are we told to hate others, though we may hate what they do [just as God knew Esau would give up his birthright to Jacob].
    Was not God and Christ glorified in Paul's conversion? Were not the people that knew him amazed and stunned by this?
    When Christ came to me, I was almost like Paul, and to this day my family is still in awe of that change along with those around me that knew me, and because of this, others started believing in Christ and wanting to discuss the Bible. I feel God is glorified more when a reprobate unbeliever comes to Him because of the Light that shown from us. Sorry, but I just view it differently in scriptures as it is all about glorifying God while glorying in Him and the Son. Blessings.

Matthew 5:16 "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Gill
    Prov 1:26, (KJV), I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;

A reprobate sinner has never been converted. Only elect sinners are converted.
    So how do know the elect sinners from the un elect until the are converted?
    So we hate all uncoverted sinners until they come to Christ and continue to hate the ones that don't?
    How do you reconcile that with Paul in Romans 12:20? The NT "overides" and fulfills the OT, so which one do we put the most burden on? What all did Christ accomplish on the Cross along with let's say, the destuction of the OC temple and city, which are in many of the OT/NT prophecies and the reprobate jewish rulers. Blessings.

Romans 12:20 Therefore "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; If he is thirsty, give him a drink; For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head."
    "There are Signs of a new upsurge of interest in the Study of Scriptures: a New Readiness to Test Traditions, Search the Scriptures and Rightly Divide the Word "I am the WAY the TRUTH the LIFE and the RESURRECTION and no man can come to the FATHER but by ME"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InChristAlways
    So how do know the elect sinners from the un elect until the are converted?
    So we hate all uncoverted sinners until they come to Christ and continue to hate the ones that don't?
    How do you reconcile that with Paul in Romans 12:20? The NT overides and fulfills the OT, so which one do we put the most burden on? Blessings.

Romans 12:20 Therefore "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; If he is thirsty, give him a drink; For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head."
    I praise the Lord that I do not know who the reprobate are at this current time. I will treat all men with loving kindness. When I find out who the reprobate are, I will hate them and rejoice in their damnation.

Rev 19:1-3, (KJV), And after these things I heard a great voice of much people in heaven, saying, Alleluia; Salvation, and glory, and honour, and power, unto the Lord our God: (2) For true and righteous are his judgments: for he hath judged the great whore, which did corrupt the earth with her fornication, and hath avenged the blood of his servants at her hand. (3) And again they said, Alleluia And her smoke rose up for ever and ever.
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

I just want to add that while I do respect Bob and do not want to load heaps of praise on him as all praise goes to our Father in heaven, I want to compliment him on this article. I have said that Robbins and Clark are the greatest theologians of the 20th century. I believe Bob Higby is probably the greatest theologian of the 21st (I really do mean that)! I will always have a high estimation of him. This article of his is briiliant (the Father's brilliance of course) and I agree with it completely. I hope to see more of his great works in the future.

It is not easy to grasp at first I think due to the vast majority of teaching on the fall of man out there. It does depart from classical calvinism. But if we are to avoid the logical and awful conclusion of the reprobate being a second ransom (as H. Hoeksema and others taught) based on surpralapsarianism combined with the infra teaching on the fall of man, then we must reject the notion of the common fall of man.
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Gill
    I praise the Lord that I do not know who the reprobate are at this current time. I will treat all men with loving kindness. When I find out who the reprobate are, I will hate them and rejoice in their damnation.

Rev 19:1-3, (KJV), And after these things I heard a great voice of much people in heaven, saying, Alleluia; Salvation, and glory, and honour, and power, unto the Lord our God: (2) For true and righteous are his judgments: for he hath judged the great whore, which did corrupt the earth with her fornication, and hath avenged the blood of his servants at her hand. (3) And again they said, Alleluia And her smoke rose up for ever and ever.
    Hi DG. Yes, revelation is a fascinating book and it appears to be against those who are "believers", the "false church", much like the jewish rulers Jesus railed against. Aren't the letters to the 7 churches written to "believers" to overcome?

To me there are only 2 men on earth today, OC Adam and NC Adam and from what I see, the "serpent" goes after believers just as much as believers as the devil is prowling both in the pulpits and outside the pulpits. Blessings.

Jeremiah 50:6 " My people[elect church] have been lost sheep. Their shepherds[the pulpits] have led them astray; They have turned them away [on] the mountains.

Revelation 2:5 "Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place -- unless you repent.

We must also remember Jesus was bringing a "new teaching" and the rulers were reading the OT in order to justify their hatred and corruption. Jesus came to change all of that

Luke 6:27 " But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 "bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you. 29 "To him who strikes you on the [one] cheek, offer the other also. And from him who takes away your cloak, do not withhold [your] tunic either. 30 "Give to everyone who asks of you. And from him who takes away your goods do not ask [them] back. 31 "And just as you want men to do to you, you also do to them likewise. 32 "But if you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. 33 "And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. 34 "And if you lend [to those] from whom you hope to receive back, what credit is that to you? For even sinners lend to sinners to receive as much back. 35 "But love your enemies, do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High. For He is kind to the unthankful and evil. 36 "Therefore be merciful, just as your Father also is merciful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Bob's Article: The Two Seeds

I have not yet read Brother Bob's article, but I just wanted to add some Scripture to the current discussion:

Psa 15:1-5 A Psalm of David. O LORD, who may abide in Your tent? Who may dwell on Your holy hill? (2) He who walks with integrity, and works righteousness, And speaks truth in his heart. (3) He does not slander with his tongue, Nor does evil to his neighbor, Nor takes up a reproach against his friend; (4) In whose eyes a reprobate is despised, But who honors those who fear the LORD; He swears to his own hurt and does not change; (5) He does not put out his money at interest, Nor does he take a bribe against the innocent. He who does these things will never be shaken.

Here David describes a Christian - please note the part that is highlighted. While we do not know the reprobate by name in time, we do well to hate the corporation of not yet revealed reprobates.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The TWO SEED theory flies in the face of the Bible as a whole. The central hub of the gospel message is that God is not indifferent about human kind, he is not a remote, alien, abstract God, but a God who becomes man himself. This theory, however, has God having an elect kind of human kind created in his image, while there are many counterfeit human beings walking around with some unredeemable sin of satan The theory takes the Doctrine of limited atonement to the extreme of a limited creation in Gods image.

Christians will never understand why such a wonderful man as Jesus Christ, who never did anything wrong and committed no crime, would be murdered in so brutal a manner. They will no longer look on Him as the Last Sin Sacrifice for the Atonement of His Sheep, but only as a Personal Saviour in a strictly humanistic and religious sense. The atonement is seen as a proof for the hatred of the serpent seed not of the sinfulness of humanity.

Ro 5,19 is not applicable for all of humankind according to this theory. In that passage we read: For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of One shall many be made righteous. According to two-seedism, however, the seed of the Serpent does not need a sacrifice for sin, because they were not made sinners by Adams disobedience.

http://www.reformation.to/Serpentsee...actmay2005.doc
    http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:v--rGY4dKiMJ:www.reformation.to/Serpentseedtheoryextractmay2005.doc+The+TWO+SEED+t heory&hl=en

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The link to the above article is from yaffa balta deCosta

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by melted
    I have not yet read Brother Bob's article, but I just wanted to add some Scripture to the current discussion:

Psa 15:1-5 A Psalm of David. O LORD, who may abide in Your tent? Who may dwell on Your holy hill? (2) He who walks with integrity, and works righteousness, And speaks truth in his heart. (3) He does not slander with his tongue, Nor does evil to his neighbor, Nor takes up a reproach against his friend; (4) In whose eyes a reprobate is despised, But who honors those who fear the LORD; He swears to his own hurt and does not change; (5) He does not put out his money at interest, Nor does he take a bribe against the innocent. He who does these things will never be shaken.

Here David describes a Christian - please note the part that is highlighted. While we do not know the reprobate by name in time, we do well to hate the corporation of not yet revealed reprobates.
    Hi Melted. I don't believe God is always talking about "unbelieving" retrobates, but those that believe unto Him and do not honor or Fear Him. Notice what Paul says about "believers". There are many who say they are christians, but act more like "heathens" and sometimes hard to tell them apart.
    Romans 2:24 For "the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you," as it is written.

This is why Jesus was getting into the faces of the religious rulers[OC church] in the gospels. Yes, there are vile evil unbelievers, but God is more concerned about those in His "church" a lot of times. Just a thought on that particular verse. Blessings.

http://www.olivetree.com/cgi-bin/EnglishBible.htm
    (JPS1917 OT) Psalms 15:4 In whose eyes a vile person is despised, but he honoureth them that Fear the LORD; he that sweareth to his own hurt, and changeth not;

Despised
    Old Testament Hebrew Definition:
    03988 ma'ac {maw-as'}
    a primitive root; TWOT - 1139,1140;
    AV - despise 25, refuse 9, reject 19, abhor 4, become loathsome 1,
    melt away 1, misc 17; 76
    1) to reject, despise, refuse

vile contemptible
    0959 bazah {baw-zaw'}
    959 bazah baw-zaw' a primitive root; to disesteem:--despise, disdain, contemn(-ptible), + think to scorn, vile person.
    a primitive root; TWOT - 224; v
    AV - despise 36, contemptible 3, contemned 1, disdained 1, vile person 1,
    scorn 1; 43

Malachi 2:9 "Therefore I also have made you contemptible[#0959] and base Before all the people, Because you have not kept My ways But have shown partiality in the law."

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast