Pristine Grace

Thread: Ages of Ages used in Revelation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ages of Ages used in Revelation

It appears there are only 4 times that ages of ages[#165] is used other than for Christ/God in revelation.

Once it is used for Saints in reve 22:5,

the other 3 times is for the Harlot/Great City,--- those who worship the beast, and again for---- the Devil, beast and false prophet.

What is different with reve 14:11 is there is no "connecting word" between the 2 words of "ages" so could that imply a "finite" torment for those living in the present and future reprobate state until they are finally Elected into Christ in the future?

Does anyone know the significance of the use of these 2 words used like this in 14:11? And could I have the exact translations/interpretations of these verses from anyone? Thanks and blessings.

Revelation 14:11 And,the smoke of Their torment, unto ages [of] ages, ascendeth; And THEY have no rest day or night, who do homage unto the beast and his image, or if anyone receiveth the mark of his name.

Revelation 14:11 kai <2532> {AND} o <3588> {THE} kapnoV <2586> {SMOKE} tou <3588> basanismou <929> autwn <846> {OF THEIR TORMENT} anabainei <305> (5719) {GOES UP} eiV <1519> {TO} aiwnaV <165> {AGES} aiwnwn <165> { AGES,}

==================================
    Revelation 19:3 And, a second time, have they said--Hallelujah! And, her smoke, ascendeth unto ages of ages.

authV <846> {HER SMOKE} anabainei <305> (5719) {GOES UP} eiV <1519> {TO} touV <3588> {THE} aiwnaV <165> {AGES} twn <3588> {OF THE} aiwnwn <165> {AGES.}

Revelation 20:10 and, the devil/slanderer that had been deceiving them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where [were] both the wild-beast and the false-prophet; and they shall be tormented, day and night, unto the ages of ages.

basanisqhsontai <928> (5701) {THEY SHALL BE TORMENTED} hmeraV <2250> {DAY} kai <2532> {AND} nuktoV <3571> {NIGHT} eiV <1519> {FOR} touV <3588> {THE}aiwnaV <165> {AGES} twn <3588> {OF THE} aiwnwn <165> {AGES.}

Revelation 22:5 And, night, shall be, no more; and they have no need of the light of a lamp or the light of a sun, because, the Lord, God, will give them light,--and they shall reign unto the ages of ages.

basileusousin <936> (5692) {THEY SHALL REIGN} eiV <1519> {TO} touV <3588> {THE} aiwnaV <165> {AGES} twn <3588> {OF THE} aiwnwn <165> {AGES.}

"There are Signs of a new upsurge of interest in the Study of Scriptures: a New Readiness to Test Traditions, Search the Scriptures and Rightly Divide the Word "I am the WAY the TRUTH the LIFE and the RESURRECTION and no man can come to the FATHER but by ME"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Re: Ages of Ages used in Revelation

What is different with reve 14:11 is there is no "connecting word" between the 2 words of "ages" so could that imply a "finite" torment for those living in the present and future reprobate state until they are finally Elected into Christ in the future?

ICA, interpreting Revelation in a way that would go against the rest of scripture is a precarious speculation. If the saints will reign with Christ 'unto ages of ages' then that settles it. There is no hope that devils will be saved in all future ages. If we compromise on this, the doctrine of Origen prevails!
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Ages of Ages used in Revelation

Thank you for posting BT. It could be because they haven't actually been judged or thrown into the LOF yet? The saints do reign forever and ever though and what can beat that!! Blessings

Revelation 22:5 And, night, shall be, no more; and they have no need of the light of a lamp or the light of a sun, because, the Lord, God, will give them light,--and THEY shall REIGN unto the ages of ages.

basileusousin <936> (5692) {THEY SHALL REIGN} eiV <1519> {TO} touV <3588> {THE} aiwnaV <165> {AGES} twn <3588> {OF THE} aiwnwn <165> {AGES.}

(Rotherham) John 8:51 Verily, verily, I say unto you: If anyone shall keep, my word, death, shall he not see, unto times age-abiding.

qanaton <2288> ou <3756> {DEATH} mh <3361> {IN NO WISE} qewrhsh <2334> (5661) eiV <1519> ton <3588> {SHALL HE SEE} aiwna <165> {FOR EVER.}
    "There are Signs of a new upsurge of interest in the Study of Scriptures: a New Readiness to Test Traditions, Search the Scriptures and Rightly Divide the Word "I am the WAY the TRUTH the LIFE and the RESURRECTION and no man can come to the FATHER but by ME"