Pristine Grace
Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of church does everyone here attend?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What kind of church does everyone here attend?

Hullo everyone..

i was wondering what kind of churches do the people on this forum attend?

baptist? presbyterian? reformed?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts

Re: What kind of church does everyone here attend?

Hi Lammy, a lot of us don't attend any churches because there aren't any good ones around
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My family as well as some friends have a house church that meets at my mom and dad's house. We just baptized three of us today. (Myself and two other men.)

We were going to a GARBC church but they were double minded on the whole election thing and never preached the doctrines of Grace....

Not only that but there was no brotherly love... just the friendly kind.

I am much happier meeting with brothers and sisters of a like mind.

I will post pictures of it when I get them sent to me.

Dave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hmm...thanks for the answers Darth and Yoder.

Darth, do you really think it is better to have no church rather than attend a 'flawed' church?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts

Lammy - DEFINITELY!

It is better to be without a church than a church that does not focus on the Gospel. Such a church is not a church at all
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Gill
    It is better to be without a church than a church that does not focus on the Gospel. Such a church is not a church at all
    This is paramount, if a church isn't focusing on the biblical Gospel, then it really isn't a church.
    Anthony Lawson, sinner saved by imputed righteousness

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I go to a PCA 'church'. I endure the monologue so I can hang out with people my age afterward, it's then that we discuss the things of God.

Today someone I just met asked me what I thought was missing at the church we attend. I responded that a lot of things are missing but I mainly would like to here the Doctrines of Grace preached from the pulpit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lammy:

I go to a United Reformed Church. No church is perfect and we can see the problems creeping in even during the lifetime of the apostles. When visiting relatives I often have to drive rather long distances and still suffer through a fluffy sermon but I would never give up the communion of the saints unless it got much much worse. The more deeply I study God's Word the more I see how many problems the church world has and the more I find myself in a rather strange minority position but church-flight is not the answer. Christ gave his life for the church, not just a bunch of unrelated individuals. Have you tried the Evangelical Presbyterian Church of Australia? http://www.epc.org.au/ What church do you go to?

In Christ,
    WildBoar
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Gill
    Lammy - DEFINITELY!

Darth, i agree 100%...which is why i was careful to use the word 'flawed' as opposed to 'false'...would you make such a distinction?

Hmm...just wondering...would u consider normal calvinist preaching to be the proper gospel?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wildboar
    we can see the problems creeping in even during the lifetime of the apostles.
    2 Tim 1:15, (KJV), This thou knowest, that all they which are in Asia be turned away from me; of whom are Phygellus and Hermogenes.
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lammy
    Darth, i agree 100%...which is why i was careful to use the word 'flawed' as opposed to 'false'...would you make such a distinction?
    There are flaws in all systems. People are people and there will be sin and other problems to overcome. There are even some doctrinal differences that I can overcome for the purpose of fellowship... But how much are we to tolerate?

Quote Originally Posted by Lammy
    Hmm...just wondering...would u consider normal calvinist preaching to be the proper gospel?
    It's my opinion that the vast majority of calvinist churches couldn't tell you what the Gospel is because it's been dilluted and distored so much that it simply isn't being proclaimed.

- Brandan
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wildboar, i go to a non-denominational church which is fairly reformed.

I too feel that fellowship with the breathen is of great importance and we should be careful before deciding on any seperatist approaches. However, as Brandon noted, it can be very tricky deciding how much to tolerate. How do we draw the line between overlooking certain things for fellowship and compromising God's word?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How do we draw the line between overlooking certain things for fellowship and compromising God's word?

Conscience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think at least part of the problem is that many have never been to a really good church where they get meaty sermons and where there is a true communion of the saints. Having experienced some really excellent churches, if there were not one in my area I would move. For many what churches are in the area becomes one of the last thoughts when people are deciding to move somewhere. They look for a good job or good schools and figure when they move in they will find a church. We have to be very careful where we pitch our tent. Lot pitched his tent toward Sodom and the next thing we read about him, he is living in Sodom. I think that the reason that the whole Harold Camping church flight thing appeals to people is that they see how pathetic the church they go to is and have never been to a good church. There are a number of really excellent churches in the Grand Rapids area. If my pastors went wacko, I could go down the block and find another good church. Unfortunately, throughout much of the U.S. and the rest of the world that's not the case.
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought we "don't go to a church", but we are it, or her!

If it is flawed, it is because we are flawed!

If its intolerable, it is because we are intolerable!

If it does not preach the Gospel, it is because, even if we believe the Gospel as the Gospel is, we fail to preach the Gospel!

I confess that if and when I don't go to church is because I am having some difficulty in socializing with other people, including Christians, and that I always find an excuse not to go and the underlying motive is that I feel that attending church is beneath me and that those "guys" in that church are not as "smart" as I am because I happen to know the Gospel and they don't...

Plus, I don't enjoy their singing, their twang, their lullaby sermons, the somberness of the building, the color of the carpet; I am embarassed that I don't drive the same car as the others do, either because theirs is too beat up or mine is too beat up compared to theirs, and Sunday mornings are a perfect day for me to go about other things, including but not limited to, SLEEP...

But in spite of it all, although the real reasons are the ones above, I just say that I don't go because "they don't preach the Gospel" as I wish they would... It is a more palatable excuse and makes me look really spiritual, loyal and idealistically faithful to the Gospel.

Funny thing is that I don't think I am "that" different than anyone else... Let's be honest about it. I speak for myself!

Milt
    Grace Ambassador
    A pitiful servant of God; a pitbull guardian of the message of Grace

My pledge to other members:
    A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. Prov 15:1
    A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver - Prov. 25:11

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts

I for one will not take blame for the downfall of the "churches" that surround me. They fail to preach the Gospel and they shun any and all that would dare bring the message of the Lord before them as they hate it! The idea of an absolutely sovereign God in salvation is unpalatable to the vast majority on the religious scene including some of those who would refer to themselves as "high grace" calvinists!

Brandan
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Miilt,

I confess that if and when I don't go to church is because I am having some difficulty in socializing with other people, including Christians.

and

Sunday mornings are a perfect day for me to go about other things, including but not limited to, SLEEP...

How true brother!!! It's summer now too and I do need a bit more time on Sunday to water my lawn and such so I have created the perfect excuse to not attend Sunday School.............

I had a pastor once who said...........we always do what we want to do!

BTW Lammy, I attend an RCUS church and find that as Milt said, it is WE who are flawed, and agree with WB that there is no such thing as a perfect church.

Eileen~
    "To those who have no works-phobia, I will state that you are not trembling before the gospel" Robert R. Higby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My wife and I now attend an Evangelical Presbyterian Church (www.epc.org). The lead Pastor is solidly reformed, but there are several other Pastors on staff who clearly are not and the programs the church runs are starting to look more and more Arminian/Palagian in nature.

I have posted before about my desire to visit and seek out another church family. My wife has been hesitant to leave for quite a while, and most of you recommended I stay and pray about it. Well, on the way to church yesterday, out of nowhere, my wife says, "I think we should start visiting other churches". I was dumbfounded and thankful all at once.

Now the question becomes, and I will start another thread for this, but how do you go about looking for other churches? This will be my first serious search for a church, and I am somewhat unsure about how to go about this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Eileen, Miilt thank you...you raise a very good point.

Howver, i think you and i ( and prehaps brendan ) are thinking of slightly different situations...

You seem to be addressing a situation where the church is fundamentally correct in doctrine but flawed in the practice. In other words, we know what to do, but when it comes to doing it, our sinful flesh naturally gets in the way...this is off course true in all churches, to varying degrees.

I was thinking more of a situation where the church's doctrine itself was flawed...in other words no matter how much the members want to do the right thing, their idea of what to do has been deceived....and going into such a church and trying to change everyone's thinking is not normally an option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lammy,
    Sorry, you are correct.
    I asked awhile back a member of my church, what would I do if I couldn't drive the distance I do to go to church and was advised that I would most likely have to attend the Arminian, free-will church here in town and learn to keep my mouth shut!!!

NOT! I wouldn't do that in a million years.

Eileen~
    "To those who have no works-phobia, I will state that you are not trembling before the gospel" Robert R. Higby

Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast