Pristine Grace
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of church does everyone here attend?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: What kind of church does everyone here attend?

Quote Originally Posted by Lammy
    I was thinking more of a situation where the church's doctrine itself was flawed...in other words no matter how much the members want to do the right thing, their idea of what to do has been deceived....and going into such a church and trying to change everyone's thinking is not normally an option.
    Saints:

The Corinthian church was TOTALLY flawed. They had problems that today we even refuse to talk about. Real "hot potatoes". If not, let's check:
    1. They had a guy who was probably sleeping with his father's wife...
    2. They were disobedient to Paul
    3. Their services were a veritable confusion. People spoke in tongues without an interpreter, sometimes many at the same time, there was no decency or order in their gatherings...
    4. Some would eat meat sacrificed to idols and offended the Jews...
    5. Others would condemn those who ate meat sacrificed to idols
    6. Many would abuse the Communion and transformed it into a pagan feast...
    What else?

Nonetheless, Paul never tells them "you are not a church". That really gets me when I begin to criticize gatherings that do things that are obviously wrong.

I believe that the best way to at least BEGIN to correct these problems, these flaws, is to stop referring to the church as an abstract thing. Again, how can the people try to do the right thing and the church be wrong and flawed? Who is who and what is what?

I was probably conceived in a church... (it was a cozy building). Well, I was born and raised in church and remember that from my very early memories until my adult days, I mean up to my 30's, I lived in churches, attended churches and for at least 2/3rds of this time, the same church. When I became a minister I traveled and visited many churches from many different denominations. Later, when I left the "free-will" camp and became Sovereign Grace, I really loved to enjoy the Grace of God for my own flaws and my own personal deviances from sound doctrine (don't fall off your chair, but, NO, I don't know it all and am full of flaws), however I became a harsh critic of the way congregations (not the abstract "church") were flawed.

One day I realized that I wanted the Grace of God for me but would not admit it to anyone else. I wanted God to be good to me in spite of my flaws but would not want the same for the congregations I was criticizing. Then I decided that when you see a problem among God's people, it is probably because you should be the solution... So, I began to find anyway I could to teach rather than criticize.

The same Grace I want for myself, I pray and count that God will dispense over these flawed congregations. Can I refuse to worship with them using my liberty in Christ (a term that appears to be contradictory to "absolute predestination of all things)? Can I become their judge? Should I believe that a Sovereign God has a plan and purpose for flawed congregations to continue to live?

If I believe that congregations are "people" and not an abstract concept, then God will dispense to them the same Grace He dispenses to me, a flawed person.

The only way that I can be of benefit to them is, as much as I can talk and fellowship with their leaders, is to point to them the Revelations of Paul. I find that it is amazingly effective. But then again, I cannot demand and expect the same thing from others; I feel the calling for it; I am used to taking risks, and public risks; I have nothing to lose since I already lost it all when I left the "free-will" camp. So if I practice theological terrorism by infiltrating Paul's doctrines in their midst (imagine that!), I am helping them and help is better than my criticism of them.

So, in closing this rather rumbling self-righteous note, I recognize and acknowledge that some of you will continue to having difficulties in attending some of these organized gatherings. But please, follow the advice of the writer in Hebrews, one that I neglected and as an incandescent coal that departs from the fire and completely cools down and disintegrates, I became cold and disintegrated, but one that I urge you not to depart from:

"...Forsake not the assembling of yourselves together..."

Just my unsolicited, cheap and unworthy advice...

Milt
    Grace Ambassador
    A pitiful servant of God; a pitbull guardian of the message of Grace

My pledge to other members:
    A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. Prov 15:1
    A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver - Prov. 25:11

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Amen Milt!!!
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I will add that my wife (Angie) and I are without a church for the first time in years and we have never felt better. I don't have to listen to the filth being spewed from the pulpit week after week, meet with those who aren't interested in Gospel fellowship, and waste my Sundays. It's an absolute waste of time for me to go to a non-profit organization where all the attendees don't care about discussing Gospel distinctives.
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Gill
    I will add that my wife (Angie) and I are without a church for the first time in years and we have never felt better. I don't have to listen to the filth being spewed from the pulpit week after week, meet with those who aren't interested in Gospel fellowship, and waste my Sundays. It's an absolute waste of time for me to go to a non-profit organization where all the attendees don't care about discussing Gospel distinctives.
    I have to agree with you Brandan.

I don't consider attending an assembly which expouses filth to be "going to church". The building is not even the church - we are. If an assembly of people does not include members of Christ's church, it is a place I do not desire to attend. Likewise, if the doctrines of grace are not preached, I will stay away.

Having said that, I am very blessed to have the opportunity to attend an assembly of wonderful Christians led by a pastor who loves the doctrines of grace like no other I've met (www.kaoc.org). If anyone is ever in the Houston area, be sure to drop me a note!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you hit it right on the head... THE CHURCH IS NOT THE BUILDING. When you gather together with believers... hold a bible study.... fellowship.... that is the church.

I have been more convinced than ever that the apostles did not have in mind this giant institution that meets in large buildings for the sake of gathering large amounts of money to pay salaries, building costs and supporting pragmatic missionaries. Not to mention the watered down gospel (which is a false gospel) so that you don't offend anybody.

No thanks.

Dave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

hence the name of this forum - the long awaited death of Christianity. See Bob's Article: http://www.5solas.org/media.php?id=556
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder
    I think you hit it right on the head... THE CHURCH IS NOT THE BUILDING. When you gather together with believers... hold a bible study.... fellowship.... that is the church.

I have been more convinced than ever that the apostles did not have in mind this giant institution that meets in large buildings for the sake of gathering large amounts of money to pay salaries, building costs and supporting pragmatic missionaries. Not to mention the watered down gospel (which is a false gospel) so that you don't offend anybody.

No thanks.

Dave
    Hi Yoder. Of course you are correct. Someone once asked about a such and such church. All I could tell Him was WE are the church LOL. As far as fleeing from one denomination to another[which happens often], it is still the same CHURCH, US.

Paul tells us in 1 corin there is no place we can flee from others that sin outside the church, and in fact tell us to avoid those who call themselves christians but practice immorality and other sins that are of the church body.
    We are to help those who may be weak in faith and even those who are sinning, but we are told to be carefull, less we fall with them and perhaps is the meaning of Paul's message. Blessings

1 corin 5:9 I wrote to you in my epistle not to keep company with sexually immoral people. 10 Yet [i] certainly [did] not [mean] with the sexually immoral people of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. 11 But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner -- not even to eat with such a person. 12 For what [have] I [to do] with judging those also who are outside? Do you not judge those who are inside? 13 But those who are outside God judges.
    "There are Signs of a new upsurge of interest in the Study of Scriptures: a New Readiness to Test Traditions, Search the Scriptures and Rightly Divide the Word "I am the WAY the TRUTH the LIFE and the RESURRECTION and no man can come to the FATHER but by ME"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wildboar,
    Brandan and I just left the "best church" we could find in our area, well, I take that back because NOW we are in the best church we can find-OUR HOME WORSHIPPING BY OURSELVES....and meeting with other believers when possible. Now, where does it say in the bible that my husband and I should move our family so we can go to a building? Surely you don't mean that in every instance of "no good churches" the person should search the world for a physical body of like minded believers and move there...Sure, there are lots of "reformed churches" around here, but they are what I would consider low grace or legalists. Isn't my husbands primary role to be the head of his family? Which could be keeping the good job he has here and providing for us spiritually and physically instead of "sacrificing" everything to go to some building? I am glad for you if there are many churches nearby you see fit. Based on your teachings on the forum and strong denominational ties, I doubt I would find any of these churches ones that I could be a member of anyway, since I would consider myself to be a high grace predestinarian sovereign grace baptist. "churchianity" is disgusting, and unless it is truly biblical, I have found "going to church" t be overrated I sure would enjoy spending some more time with likeminded believers though. Fortunately, I have the opportunity to do so in the coming months. Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Isn't my husbands primary role to be the head of his family? WHich could be keeping the good job he has here and providing for us spiritually and physically instead of "sacrificing" everything to go to some building?
    I donít think itís about the building, but the fellowship with other believers. Now if keeping the good job we have really would mean Ďsacrificing EVERYTHINGí, and by moving we would have to starve or something, I donít think we should move, but I donít think thatís the case in most situations. Most of the time, now-a-days, we could find another job in another city with a body of believers. It may not pay as well as what we have now though. The bible talks so much about our brothers and sisters in Christ, and about how we are not of this world. It must be important to be around fellow believers. And I know it is because I feel the loss. Sometimes we feel so isolated and alone. My husband, son & I worship together, but other than that, I know of no one near us who believes as we do. It would be so nice to fellowship regularly with other believers.

We stay where we are because of my husbandís job, but we wonder so often, if it is really worth it. More money, a better lifestyle, --in exchange for what?

We get tapes from gospel churches and Iím just so thankful for them. Otherwise, I donít know what we would do. Sheep need to be fed. And Iím thinking, --sheep were meant to be in flocks, too.

I donít know what is best for you and your family, Angie. Iím just expressing some thoughts I often have about our situation.

Carol
    Run John Run! The Law commands,
    But gives me neither feet, nor hands,
    Far grander news the gospel brings,
    It bids me fly, and gives me wings.
    ----John Bunyan

http://members.cox.net/ckizzz/index

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile Re: What kind of church does everyone here attend?

Carol,
    Sorry to hear there aren't any others around you.
    Fortunately for us, we have Bill Twisse(not the real one-haha!) and wife nearby. n n

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also took brother Boar's comments to be of the communion of the saints, not the church building. We ought not neglect the gathering of the saints. What a blessing it would be to have all the new family I have met here gather by us and commune with them.

Since I have been at 5 solas, I have been amazed, edifyed, encouraged and saddened by what some family here have had to go through with regards to the srtuggles of life, not being able to gather together for lack of likeminded brethren and resorting to doing so at the home. It also makes me angry with what calls itself church and folks here know what I mean by the watered down babble put forth, where the pulpit is replaced by the vain philosophies of men. It is also sad that there are not any other gathering of saints close by.

As most of you know from me , this is foreign to me. I have always been part of a covenantal family relationship in the reformed faith. We have always had a gathering to go to that did uphold the truth of the three marks of the true church and preached without reservation the sovereignty of God and His particular grace. I have been taught this since I was young. I was catechised this way. The reformed faith is a marvelous gift of God to the saints as Christ will always uphold His flock.

If I consider the madness of my ancestors in Holland, the Dutch, a bunch of barbarians we were prior to reformation times. Chaos abounded as did indency. The Lord in His mercy and according to His purpose had the Gospel proclaimed to this unholy lot. By the grace of God , wisdom was given to adopt priniciples and confessions that came to Holland via Geneva from the likes of John Calvin, Guido De Bres. Decency and good order are gifts of God, but they did not come easy and they did not come witout error, sin and mistakes of men.

Consider the unrelenting persecution that Europe faced by the assaults of the iniquistion of Rome. The Dutch suffered heavily, but the Lord was merciful. The gathering of the saints have always been rocked from schisms and persecution.

Consider Holland today. One of the most liberal countries where anything goes. They have forsaken the old paths, they are perishing for lack of knowledge, they have become lax. We do not differ so much from Israel of old. They have despised the gathering of the saints to opt for what pleases them and worship the creature more than the Creator.

I am no better or more deserving than others. Thanks be to the Lord for giving knowledge to see the ultimate need of every elect child to Christ. I then will not hide this wonderful truth under a bushel, but rather when given the opportunity give accounts to all of you of the wondrous works of the Lord in my life whether that was done in blessing or whether that was done by pummeling me in chastisement.

We need the Lord and we need each other. Salvation is a particular gift to each individual child, but what a blessing it is to be able to gather together.

Most know, but I am a member of the Protestant Reformed Churches www.prca.org , and I am very thankful to have met the different family members of this list.

To our Heavenly Father be all the honor and glory alone forever.
    Greetings and salutations, el rana

21There are many devices in a man's heart; nevertheless the counsel of the LORD, that shall stand.

Proverbs chapter 19

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also took brother Boar's comments to be of the communion of the saints, not the church building. We ought not neglect the gathering of the saints. What a blessing it would be to have all the new family I have met here gather by us and commune with them.
    What Boar's comments? Have I missed anything? Has any post been deleted? Let me know...

Milt
    Grace Ambassador

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i go to the Austin Stone....
    "To be a New Testament Church, existing for the supremacy of the name and purpose of Jesus Christ."

http://www.theaustinstone.com/

i cant believe i get to go to a church like it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There seems to be a certain irony that the individualism that is present here historically was far more prevelant among the Wesleyans, the Billy Graham crusades, and other Arminian oriented evangelistic movements. It should be clear to anyone that is reading that by 'church' I am not referring to a building. Certainly, Noah and his family could rightly be said to be the church in his day, but I don't see the precedent in Scripture in any normal way to have just individual families be churches. What we find in Scripture is Christians meeting daily with other Christians in other families (probably doing some kind of Scripture lesson) and then meeting on Sunday to hear the Word preached and partaking of the sacraments in even larger assemblies. Unfortunately, this whole thing has degenerated and many don't see each other throughout the week at all and some on this board are just calling for further degeneration. I can see why from some of my past posts that Mrs. Gill might think I was promoting denominationalism, I certainly was. But I haven't been lately. The more I study the Scriptures, the more I find myself outside of the mainstream on various issues in the reformed community. There's a particular issue I'm struggling with at the moment which I won't go into right now but it would make my life very difficult if I adopted it (no, it's not contrary to the Three Forms of Unity but some think it is). Are we to make up an exhaustive list of what we believe and how things should be done and then disfellowship ourselves from all those who disagree with us on any of the points? I don't find precedent for that in Scripture. Paul even refers to those who are engaged in serious doctrinal error as brothers. That doesn't keep him from adressing the issues either. Paul neither takes a weak stand nor goes and hides in house from all the Christians he is too good to fellowship with. I wonder what kind of words some of the high grace Calvinists of the past such as John Gill or Tobias Crisp would have to say to those who have decided to hide in their houses with their computers.
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

WB,
    I agree with you to a large degree. I sit on the edge of my pew each week and soak in the Word preached, I lift my voice to the Lord and I worship in Spirit and in Truth.

I don't adopt the 3 forms of unity in their totality and have some differences with the creeds. I don't exalt them alongside the Scripture and I believe that many in the reformed circle do. Instead of searching the Scripture, they search the creeds. The creeds certainly have a use but they in no way measure up to Scripture. So when there is a difference what is a person to do, or for that matter what is a church to do? If everyone was totally honest, there are differences between each person to some degree.

I think that part of the problem lies in the view of the visible church and the invisible Church. So many that I know put the visible church where it doesn't belong and denominations are the worst offenders of that. I believe that is what gives 'church' a bad name and causes people to turn away sometimes.

Are we to neglect the brethren to advance the cause of the visible church, that is what I see much of.

I wonder if being outside the mainstream of the reformed community is exactly where we should be. What do you think?

I know the Lord will straighten out the 'issue' for you, He is always faithful to do just that, in His time.

In Grace
    Eileen~
    "To those who have no works-phobia, I will state that you are not trembling before the gospel" Robert R. Higby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Perhaps some of us here, and CERTAINLY ME, would not be accepted into the fellowship of each other and others participants of this Forum. I am flawed, I have deep convictions, but my theology still leaves a lot to be desired, I believe in preaching to everything that breathes (eating only eatable animals though...), even if it is to the condemnation of the hearer, I love some contemporary choruses, I can't stand preachers who hide behind a formality that is not the normalcy in the lives they lead away from the pulpit, at the same time I despise the "carnival, or better CARNAVAL" mentality in some modern churches and believe that is exactly "THE FLESH HAS VALUE" that they are defending, which is the translation for the word CARNAVAL (CARNE VALLE), I believe the 13 Epistles of Paul are the only Ecclesiastical treaty we need today, and that it is the crown of all revelations, I believe in giving, but not only money, but money as well, but CERTAINLY not in tithing, and that we either have liberty in Christ or everything we do is predestined by God. I also believe that when Paul talks about liberty in Christ he does it in reference to being servants one to another (you are free to serve others but not the law...) and that it is not a license to disobey apostolic commands, and I have a few other beliefs that would make me one of those people some in here would as a motive not to fellowship with me and even to HATE me, a word that is very common in our Forum (I hate that word...).

So, I am serving notice that before you fellowship with me, (it is the same notice I have given to ministers and churchgoers alike), read my Web Site, find out what I believe, eat a grain of salt with me, and then... decide if I am the person you want to have around for anything, including but not limited to fellowshipping with...

HOWEVER, why would anyone place on the people of God THE UNFAIR burden of this kind of scrutiny when we don't place the same type of burden to fellowship with anyone else?

Do you ask your common friends if they believe in "election, the Sovereignty of God, if they like the same food you do, the same tv shows you do, go to the same restaurants, use the same deodorant or any other condition that places burdens on them in order to fellowship with you?"

I am speaking as someone who despises churchianity more than anyone else here perhaps, and despises to my own financial loss. Some would count me as stupid for missing the opportunities and not even seeking these opportunities anymore because of my beliefs and opposition against churchianity.

As of late I am beginning in prayer and humility, considering going back to helping congregations and pastors (who recognize they need help). I started to believe that there is such a thing as placing too heavy a burden on God's people rather than being a relief for their burdens.

Most of you can act as churchgoers all your lives and never understand that the congregation is what you make it to be. And if you know the congregation is in error, sometimes hurting people and, worse yet, HURTING THE GOSPEL (if that would be possible) then it is your duty to start a congregation under a tree, with your family, your dog, and seek to grow and find out for yourself that perhaps others may think of you what you think of others today... I did it!

I dissolved the congregation in my home for many reasons. Too many women and when my wife is not around it is not appropriate and my sons are away. But, at least I gave it a shot, a literal shot, against churchianity... I think all should try the same and perhaps they will be more successful than I ever was!

Again, just me trying to converse...

Milt
    Grace Ambassador

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GraceAmbassador
    What Boar's comments? Have I missed anything? Has any post been deleted? Let me know...

Milt
    No Milt. It was in response to Mrs. Gill's statements regarding going to a "church building" rather than the "communion of the saints" which was the point Wildboar was making.
    Greetings and salutations, el rana

21There are many devices in a man's heart; nevertheless the counsel of the LORD, that shall stand.

Proverbs chapter 19

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK OK OK
    What I meant basically was that we don't have a "good church" to go to. WE have exhausted all avenues in recent years, so we are left to worship by ourselves and with others when we see them. AND moving to find some "church" is not always a good idea. First off, I guess we may have different ideas of "church" anyway, but I won't go into. It is just that either I didn't explain myself properly or Ray, WB, and others misunderstood me. Perhaps I should try to be more clear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Gill
    "churchianity" is disgusting, and unless it is truly biblical, I have found "going to church" t be overrated
    Yeah, it's sad. And the excuses for it are even worse. We hear statements such as "If this is the way it is then this must be the way God wants it". While there is truth to such a statement the, same thing could have been said about the RCC & Reformed Protestants.

The main problem with "churchianity" is simply the fact that it's un-biblical. The structure and functionality is wrong, and I believe, removed from the biblical/historical context in which it was first fashioned.

We read about roles such s as "pastors, bishops, deacons, elders" etc in scripture, and these titles are being assumed by people gathering inside buildings on Sundays mornings, however, I question the legitimacy of HOW these roles are being fulfilled and utilized; meaning - sticking feathers in your butt does not make you a chicken. If people are not growing intimately together as integral parts of each others lives from Monday to Saturday, then something is terrible amiss on Sunday mornings. Like it or not, this is the truth.

Personally, I believe the clergy/laity distinction is to be blamed, and at the same time, an utterly wicked perversion of the "ekklesia" founded by Christ. To go as far as dividing the priesthood into two separate models of "professional" ministers and "lay" ministers" is without scriptural merit. The hierarchy imposed upon the "audience" leads them toward an ongoing mind set of becoming dependent on a "one man show", furthering the necessity to be spoon fed from week to week. The "laity" adopt an unfounded belief that the man speaking "at them" from the pulpit, possesses, in some way, a more direct access to God - which ultimately causes them to become docile and disregard their obligation to the Body of Christ.

The ekklesia is a "royal priesthood" of "all believers". Each has been given a gift for the mutual edification of the body. Until people wake up & smell the coffee before they head off to "church" they will continue to keep the pews warm, the collection plates full and the church in business - completely oblivious to the fact that the "ekklesia of Our LORD" is comprised of those whom Jesus indwells.

Thanks for listening,

Brother Scott.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi,
    I'm new to the forum and have wrestled with going to a Church which preaches partial Scriptural Doctrine vs. not attending any Church. The only completely Sovereign Grace Church I ever found was more tied up in its own covenants (legalsists), than they were in living the Gospel.

The Apostle Paul certainly knew what he was talking about in Heb 10:23-25,
    "Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering (for He is faithful who promised),
    and let us consider one another to provoke to love and to good works,
    not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching."

As silly as it may sound, there is a great unease within me by not gathering with fellow believers to worship and praise the Lord. I realize that these can be accomplished alone; yet, it just is'nt the same. However, there is a greater unease if I attend & have to listen to partial Gospel truths, or no Gospel truth at all. It's a no win situation. A true Christian boby of believers & teachers is as rare a thing as you can find.

Or, am I just being idealistic?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast