Pristine Grace
Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Thread: Olsteen does it again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Olsteen does it again

So, I am driving to work this morning and here a quick blurb about Joel Olsteen and his new "Worship Facility". I wanted to puke. This heretic puts $75 million into renovations???? Can you imagine how $75 million could truly impact missionary work both domestically and abroad? Anyways, I hope I don't see anyone at work carrying around one of his books, I may lose it today.

(See below)

The following is from: http://theologica.blogspot.com/2005/...to-compaq.html

World Mag Blog reports:

Rev. Joel Osteen's Lakewood church in Houston, Texas, is moving into a new building next week: the Compaq Center, former home to the Houston Rockets. The church spent about $75 million to convert the sports arena into a "worship space", creating what the website calls a " church with no limits...and no boundaries...an outreach that stretches the imagination and opens doors to the power of God to change millions around the world."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Olsteen does it again

It always amazes me how some mega-churches spend their money.

I have relatives that attend Saddleback Church, Rick Warren’s mega-church in Lake Forest. It’s like Disneyland. The grounds are complete with waterfalls, the facility includes an aquarium, and if you’re a bit too tired for the service, you can sip on a mocha while watching the service on a big-screen TV from the church’s coffee shop.

At first, I always think – can’t you spend that money on mission work? But then I think, do I really want Joel Osteen, Rick Warren, and Chuck Smith to spread their version of the “gospel” any more than they already have?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Centinel

At first, I always think – can’t you spend that money on mission work? But then I think, do I really want Joel Osteen, Rick Warren, and Chuck Smith to spread their version of the “gospel” any more than they already have?
    very good point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts

Just think, all that money could have been funnelled back into the families of those that attend. What a big waste as are most church funds.
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashamoun
    So, I am driving to work this morning and here a quick blurb about Joel Olsteen and his new "Worship Facility". I wanted to puke. This heretic puts $75 million into renovations???? Can you imagine how $75 million could truly impact missionary work both domestically and abroad? Anyways, I hope I don't see anyone at work carrying around one of his books, I may lose it today.

(See below)

World Mag Blog reports:

Rev. Joel Osteen's Lakewood church in Houston, Texas, is moving into a new building next week: the Compaq Center, former home to the Houston Rockets. The church spent about $75 million to convert the sports arena into a "worship space", creating what the website calls a " church with no limits...and no boundaries...an outreach that stretches the imagination and opens doors to the power of God to change millions around the world."
    Luke 12
    "18 And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.

19And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry. 20But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?"

I a way, that's what I see here!!!

Milt
    Grace Ambassador
    A pitiful servant of God; a pitbull guardian of the message of Grace

My pledge to other members:
    A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. Prov 15:1
    A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver - Prov. 25:11

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK,
    Today is now to be unofficially known as "Anthony is preoccupied with Joel Olsteen day". I just watched CNN do a story on Olsteen and they interviewed he and his wife in their new "church".
    Olsteen's wife talked about how THEIR message is helping lift people up.

A church attender praised the church for not being "all Biblical and Scriptural, he's real." -------- He's real, I really was on the verge of a curse laiden tirade.

I could go on, but it was a pukefest as Brandan would say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh yeah,
    Forgot another good part. Olsteen was asked about critics who say that he doesn't tackle the tough issues, like sin, satan, abortion, homosexuality, etc.

His response: "I wouldn't even know where to begin with issues like those, I've only been doing this for six years" <----said with a dumbfounded look on his face

Hey genius, how about the Bible?

(Man I'm fired up about this)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the unfortunate privelege of living in Houston, so I probably hear 5 times as much about this man. I'm 5 times more likely to puke!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I visited Lakewood once, years ago, when Joel Osteen's father was still the pastor. I "walked the aisle" with another new Christian and was coached, unsuccessfully, to speak in tongues. I never went back. I believe that the senior Osteen started in the SBC, then moved into charismatic circles.

It seems odd for the son to automatically succeed the father, as if it were a family business. 15 or 20 years ago someone mailed a nail bomb to Lakewood's office, and someone -- I believe it was either Joel Osteen's wife or his mother -- was injured seriously. That crime was never solved. In fairness, it would be easy for a pastor to struggle with a "fear of man" issue if they had dodged an assassination attempt. In charity, he may just be unprepared for the level of influence and exposure he inherited with his father's death.

I also have noticed the trend in charistmatic churches to bill the pastor's wife as a co-pastor, as if this can really evade the Bibilical prohibitions on female clergy. On occasion I will see female speakers at charismatic meetings billed as "prophetesses," in much the same spirit.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What if Olsteen was converted, and he showed up the next Sunday preaching the Reformed faith.

Could you see his congregation sitting through a sermon on total depravity.
    Somebody would probably shoot mocha through their nose in the coffee room.

Red Beetle
    www.kingsportjudo.com

"There is a story going round that a teacher saw several boys on their knees in a corner. When she came near, she saw that they were shooting craps. She breathed a sigh of relief, for she had been in mortal terror that they might have been praying."
    --What do Presbyterians Believe-- page 186
    Gordon H. Clark, a.k.a. the Greatest Theologian since the Reformation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kingsportjudo
    What if Olsteen was converted, and he showed up the next Sunday preaching the Reformed faith.

Could you see his congregation sitting through a sermon on total depravity.
    Somebody would probably shoot mocha through their nose in the coffee room.

Red Beetle
    www.kingsportjudo.com

"There is a story going round that a teacher saw several boys on their knees in a corner. When she came near, she saw that they were shooting craps. She breathed a sigh of relief, for she had been in mortal terror that they might have been praying."
    --What do Presbyterians Believe-- page 186
    Gordon H. Clark, a.k.a. the Greatest Theologian since the Reformation
    I guarantee you: That is the worse nightmare of some Reformed Preachers who can't get a crowd if he pays them to come in...

By the way, I checked your Web Site and it seems that I am not the ONLY nutty Brazilian that you know uh?

Milt
    Grace Ambassador

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Milt,

You must be referring to Helio Gracie.
    I got to wrestle him when he was 84 years old.
    He won.

Red Beetle
    www.kingsportjudo.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kingsportjudo
    Milt,

You must be referring to Helio Gracie.
    I got to wrestle him when he was 84 years old.
    He won.

Red Beetle
    www.kingsportjudo.com
    ...And the Silvio Braga you mention in your Web Site...
    Grace Ambassador

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashamoun

(See below)

World Mag Blog reports:

Ecclesiastes 5

1Keep thy foot when thou goest to the house of God, and be more ready to hear, than to give the sacrifice of fools: for they consider not that they do evil.
    2Be not rash with thy mouth, and let not thine heart be hasty to utter any thing before God: for God is in heaven, and thou upon earth: therefore let thy words be few.
    3For a dream cometh through the multitude of business; and a fool's voice is known by multitude of words.
    4When thou vowest a vow unto God, defer not to pay it; for he hath no pleasure in fools: pay that which thou hast vowed.
    5Better is it that thou shouldest not vow, than that thou shouldest vow and not pay.
    6Suffer not thy mouth to cause thy flesh to sin; neither say thou before the angel, that it was an error: wherefore should God be angry at thy voice, and destroy the work of thine hands?
    7For in the multitude of dreams and many words there are also divers vanities: but fear thou God.
    8If thou seest the oppression of the poor, and violent perverting of judgment and justice in a province, marvel not at the matter: for he that is higher than the highest regardeth; and there be higher than they.
    9Moreover the profit of the earth is for all: the king himself is served by the field.
    10He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.
    11When goods increase, they are increased that eat them: and what good is there to the owners thereof, saving the beholding of them with their eyes?
    12The sleep of a labouring man is sweet, whether he eat little or much: but the abundance of the rich will not suffer him to sleep.
    13There is a sore evil which I have seen under the sun, namely, riches kept for the owners thereof to their hurt.
    14But those riches perish by evil travail: and he begetteth a son, and there is nothing in his hand.
    15As he came forth of his mother's womb, naked shall he return to go as he came, and shall take nothing of his labour, which he may carry away in his hand.
    16And this also is a sore evil, that in all points as he came, so shall he go: and what profit hath he that hath laboured for the wind?
    17All his days also he eateth in darkness, and he hath much sorrow and wrath with his sickness.
    18Behold that which I have seen: it is good and comely for one to eat and to drink, and to enjoy the good of all his labour that he taketh under the sun all the days of his life, which God giveth him: for it is his portion.
    19Every man also to whom God hath given riches and wealth, and hath given him power to eat thereof, and to take his portion, and to rejoice in his labour; this is the gift of God. 20For he shall not much remember the days of his life; because God answereth him in the joy of his heart.
    Greetings and salutations, el rana

21There are many devices in a man's heart; nevertheless the counsel of the LORD, that shall stand.

Proverbs chapter 19

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK, every Monday it seems is going to be "Anthony rants about Joel Olsteen" day.

So, CNN does the story last week about his new "worship center", and this week they do another one on Olsteen. I could bore you with the details, but I think I can sum it up with the two words that Olsteen's own mother used:

"IT SELLS!"
    -Joel Olsteen's Mother

Need we say more??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Woe unto you scribes and pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead man's bones, and all uncleanness.Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity." Matt.23:27,28
    Greetings and salutations, el rana

21There are many devices in a man's heart; nevertheless the counsel of the LORD, that shall stand.

Proverbs chapter 19

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I find your rants amusing, mainly because I hadn't realized before joining this site how "big" of a deal Joel Olsteen is... I had seen him on televsion a couple weeks back. It started with him having everyone hold up their bibles and repeat some kind of chant thing like, "this is my bible... it is the word of god...." something along those lines. At first, I thought "hmmm... this sounds interesting." Then, he started the sermon - if you want to call it that. I don't remember any of it. All I remember was sitting there thinking "Oh my goodness... He hasn't referenced the bible in any way... this is not biblical at all... he doesn't support what he's saying..." etc. After about 15 minutes, I was like - "Okie dokie, that's enough for me. This guy is a whack job, and nobody would seriously pay attention to the garbage he's spouting" - apparently I was wrong about that last part... lol! I'm just floored anyone could take him so seriously.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Okie dokie, that's enough for me. This guy is a whack job, and nobody would seriously pay attention to the garbage he's spouting" - apparently I was wrong about that last part... lol! I'm just floored anyone could take him so seriously.
    You don't get out much do you ? Joel Osteen is one of the most sought after speaker and writer in America for whatever reason. Also you are right... He is not a preacher. He is a motivational speaker. I wish he would do two things:
    1. come out and say: World, I AIN'T A PREACHER. I am a motivational speaker
    2. Although I ain't a preacher and am a motivational speaker, since you guys love dead religion that pretends to be living, I pretend use your Bible to get you guys hooked on me even if it is all pure error. Can't you see it? The fact that you can't see it makes you need me all the more to satisfy your own stupidity. And by the way, I am also a heretic!
    Am I asking too much? If Joel Osteen would only admit that, I would probably even pay attention to him... Anyone else?

Milt
    Grace Ambassador

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GraceAmbassador
    He is not a preacher.
    Agreed
    Quote Originally Posted by GraceAmbassador
    He is a motivational speaker.
    What's he motivating people to do? LOL He's helping to motivate people to throw their lives down the drain of false religion!
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Gill
    AgreedWhat's he motivating people to do? LOL He's helping to motivate people to throw their lives down the drain of false religion!
    ...and leaving their possessions to him in the process.

Milt
    Grace Ambassador

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast