Pristine Grace

Thread: A Simple Warning

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A Simple Warning

After the banter of minds in the last few threads, and the ones promising to be started, I began thinking of a possibility for poor future effect within this forum and decided I would post a simple warning.

If one wants to be taken seriously in the minds of honest Christians - it would behoove that one not to take the stand that any and all institutions are totally defunct. There is of course error in all the confessions and creeds of man, and even more error in how they can be interpreted, but they are not all together error!

If we truly want to point out the areas where Christians could improve the theology that has been historically embraced, then the approach should not be to deny those areas that Christ has been improving throughout the history of His bride. One might stand a far better chance at convicting a WCF parroter - by stating: here are the areas of the confession that I rejoice in... but here are a few things that could probably be improved. This is especially true for those of us who as our screen names bare the names of men who were either instrumental in the development of such creeds and confessions or were full fledge lovers of these documents. If we do not take this approach then we set ourselves up as greater than all the minds that compiled these confessions - and worse - all the minds that have assented to these documents through history. That is an awful weight to carry on your shoulders, but what is even more dangerous is that it is the characteristic of the cult.

For those of you who have not read some of these documents, it would serve you well to refrain from comment on them until you have. You may be surprised - but there is some really great stuff even in some of the oldest confessions and creeds.

Please understand I am not endorsing blind acceptance! I am warning against never being heard for promoting ourselves above all other Christians. Now if you really think your that good - Go ahead!! - But you can't say I didn't warn you!

Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 17:28
    Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.
    Andrew T. Adcock

"We see that our whole salvation and all its parts are comprehended in Christ[Acts 4:12]. We should therefore take care not to derive the least portion of it from anywhere else." - John Calvin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts

Re: A Simple Warning

We here at 5solas affirm major portions of most of the historic confessions and creeds.

One might stand a far better chance at convicting a WCF parroter - by stating: here are the areas of the confession that I rejoice in... but here are a few things that could probably be improved.

I am not attempting to convince such a person; God in his sovereignty wants every man and woman thinking exactly as he/she does at the present time. Unless and until the Lord makes a person want truth and uncomfortable with things that bear the characteristics of error, that person will not be interested in many of the items that we discuss here.

This is especially true for those of us who as our screen names bare the names of men who were either instrumental in the development of such creeds and confessions or were full fledge lovers of these documents.

Well, I intend to change mine very soon and get away from such association. I believe it is no longer profitable and may cause great confusion.

If we do not take this approach then we set ourselves up as greater than all the minds that compiled these confessions - and worse - all the minds that have assented to these documents through history. That is an awful weight to carry on your shoulders, but what is even more dangerous is that it is the characteristic of the cult.

Naturally we don't agreem with this--or we would immediately shut off discussion of all these issues, deferring to the assumed accuracy of our fore-fathers. Great progress in truth has never been achieved without phenomenal discarding of the tradition of millions (i.e., Luther). We are here to judge all things by the apostolic gospel.
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: A Simple Warning

Please understand I am not endorsing blind acceptance! I am warning against never being heard for promoting ourselves above all other Christians.]
    I do understand and fully agree with you. The strange thing however, (there is always a "however"), is that I keep reading our posts, often read over and over again some of the most strong opinions here about divers issues (not scuba divers) and have noticed that it is not us the ones who promote, or it is not from here that all the promoting oneself above all Christians proceed.

The degree of comfort I have with the opinionators here is far above the degree of comfort I have with those who often come here, recently and in the past, and by so much as reading one phrase or another, try, judge and execute us in the proverbial bonfire of "heretics, heterodox, fringe, hyper-calvinists" and a few other names we have been called lately.

I really wish in my hearts of hearts that the same opneness and well meaning in which we state our opinions here would be followed by those who come here specifically to disagree with these opinions.

I have spoken with Brandan, Bob mostly and the other moderators a few times and no one here, I guarantee anyone who seeks such a guarantee, considers himself above and beyond any other Christian (if indeed they are Christians!)

Milt
    Grace Ambassador
    A pitiful servant of God; a pitbull guardian of the message of Grace

My pledge to other members:
    A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. Prov 15:1
    A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver - Prov. 25:11