Pristine Grace

Thread: What is the Unpardonable Sin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What is the Unpardonable Sin

John 1:29 on the morrow John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, `Lo, the Lamb of God, who is taking away the "sin" of the world;
    I would like to discuss the unpardoble sin against the Holy Spirit. Note in John 1 that "Sin" is singular, not plural. The base of this "sin" I believe was in Israel and concerned more of OC Israel of that age than the NC age of Grace through Jesus Christ.

I have noticed on some jewish/judaism forums that I was on that none of them really had an idea of what the Holy Spirit was about, though the OT had promised to pour it out on them after the Messiah had come but they would be "blinded/hardened" in part until the consummation of all things occurs.

What is the sin against the Holy Spirit? In the third chapter of Mark, we have the parallel passage to the text that was in Matthew, the same record of these men coming around Jesus when they saw Him perform His mighty miracle for the poor man who could neither see nor speak.

In order to keep the people from believing Jesus, they said the miracle was performed by the power of Satan. Notice the words of Jesus in verses 28-30: "Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith so ever they shall blaspheme. But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost has never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation: BECAUSE THEY SAID, HE HAS AN UNCLEAN SPIRIT." Note these were the spiritual leaders of Jerusalem and all Israel, and knew the Law and ordinances handed down to them on Mt Sinai.

These men knew what they were doing. Their schemes against Jesus were deliberate, calculated. A leading Pharisee, Nicodemus, once confided to Jesus, "Rabbi, we know/percieve that You are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that you do unless God is with him"

Many of them knew better, but unlike Nicodemus they still plotted to destroy Him. They had developed an implacable contempt for Jesus because He presented a threat to their prestige and power over the people. Jesus warned them of the dire consequences of their attitude and actions. They were not just sinning against God in heaven above, or against the Son of God on earth - they were resisting, opposing, withstanding, impugning, confronting, assailing, attacking and repulsing the Holy Spirit - THE VERY ACTIVITY AND MINISTRATION OF GOD TOWARDS THEM! They were in danger of blaspheming the Holy Ghost!

They were resisting the Holy Spirit, striving against the influence of God acting upon their minds and hearts. Notice that later on Stephen was brought before this same group, and he said to them the same thing the Lord Jesus had said: "You stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, you do always resist the Holy Ghost: asyour fathers did, so do you" (Acts 7:51). They were doing the same thing their fathers had done. In Christ's day they were resisting the Holy Spirit, and the same condition exists today - they are still resisting the Holy Spirit!

My question is, can this sin be committed today by "non jews", and if so, would it be just believers, unbelievers or both? Was this a "convenant" sin that could only be committed by the jews in the OC age/time?
    "There are Signs of a new upsurge of interest in the Study of Scriptures: a New Readiness to Test Traditions, Search the Scriptures and Rightly Divide the Word "I am the WAY the TRUTH the LIFE and the RESURRECTION and no man can come to the FATHER but by ME"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Re: What is the Unpardonable Sin

I would like to discuss the unpardoble sin against the Holy Spirit. Note in John 1 that "Sin" is singular, not plural. The base of this "sin" I believe was in Israel and concerned more of OC Israel of that age than the NC age of Grace through Jesus Christ.

If this was a sin that could be committed only by Jews then all of mankind outside of Judaism will be saved--since their sins will at least EVENTUALLY be forgiven! This notion doesn't work if we accept the biblical testimony--'incurable' sin is certainly not a phenomenon unique to Judaism!
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott