Pristine Grace

Thread: Help with Scripture

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Help with Scripture

Hello All,
    After a study with three of my friends this weekend, we began discusssing our own personal studies and this question was asked that had us all stumped. I am hoping someone may be able to help.

1Co 11:1-10 Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ. (2) Now I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I delivered them to you. (3) But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God. (4) Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head, (5) but every wife who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head--it is the same as if her head were shaven. (6) For if a wife will not cover her head, then she should cut her hair short. But since it is disgraceful for a wife to cut off her hair or shave her head, let her cover her head. (7) For a man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God, but woman is the glory of man. (8) For man was not made from woman, but woman from man. (9) Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. (10) That is why a wife ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels.

Why in verse 10 is the reason that a "wife ought to have a symbol of authority on her head" because of angels?? What do the angels have to do with this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Help with Scripture

The verse is certainly a difficult one and much debated. Thiselton provides a very lengthy explanation of the different positions involved and a better translation as well. He translates it as: "Because of this a woman ought to keep control of her head, on account of the angels." On account of the angels is still a bit mysterious but it clears up the authority issue. Thiselton notes that in Jewish tradition and in the Dead Sea Scrolls, angels are described as guardians of order and this may shed some light on the issue.
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

John Calvin on 1 Cor 11:10

Because of the angels. This passage is explained in various ways. As the Prophet Malachi 2:7 calls priests angels of God, some are of opinion that Paul speaks of them; but the ministers of the word have nowhere that term applied to them by itself -- that is, without something being added; and the meaning would be too forced. I understand it, therefore, in its proper signification. But it is asked, why it is that he would have women have their heads covered because of the angels -- for what has this to do with them? Some answer: "Because they are present on occasion of the prayers of believers, and on this account are spectators of unseemliness, should there be any on such occasions." But what need is there for philosophizing with such refinement? We know that angels are in attendance, also, upon Christ as their head, and minister to him.25 When, therefore, women venture upon such liberties, as to usurp for themselves the token of authority, they make their baseness manifest to the angels. This, therefore, was said by way of amplifying, as if he had said, "If women uncover their heads, not only Christ, but all the angels too, will be witnesses of the outrage." And this interpretation suits well with the Apostle's design. He is treating here of different ranks. Now he says that, when women assume a higher place than becomes them, they gain this by it -- that they discover their impudence in the view of the angels of heaven.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

paul was dealing with men who new not love, in the image of god man and woman are one, woman reflecting the image of love[wisdom] and man reflects the image of faith[power]wisdom directs power. Paul was saying as man takes athourity by power[force]woman will have athourity by wisdom.this athourity comes by spirit and not flesh.