Pristine Grace

Thread: confessions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

confessions

Question -Is the Goatyard confessional and the Gospel Standard confessional good confessionals? Are they accurate? If one subscribes to these confessionals, does that person believe the confessions are truth? I'm not trying to start a debate, but reading these confessions stirred something in me based upon a post in another thread. What does a confession mean to a Christian? I guess what i'm asking is, if a person subscribes to a confession, do they agree with everything in the confession or can they just subscribe to parts of it? I would really like to know anyone's thoughts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Re: confessions

Some people agree with all or parts of a confession. Agreeing to a confession means nothing. However, it can be helpful in quickly explaining to others what you believe.

Brandan
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Peaches:

Note that nowadays, as important as to subscribe to a confession and state what one believes, it is to state what one rejects! Sometimes I would prefer that people would state FIRST what they reject so I can listen to them.

Confessions are purely guidelines, good ones, but they cannot be placed above the Bible. There are things in confessions that are good and others that should be rejected. Another error that is common today is to anathematize anyone who questions certain obscure or even relevant points of a confession; that is when the danger of making the confession an "end" in and of itself, rather than a "means", sets in; Confessions then are made to be a "god" and bottle up "god" within it.

We should be keenly aware of confession erros but well capable of distinguishing the things that we embrace from the things that we must reject on any confession or religious movement. We must, however, avoid the extreme of placing confessions in such an irrelevant place that we become unteachable, and have no idea of the things we favor, let alone the things that are against.

Milt
    Grace Ambassador
    A pitiful servant of God; a pitbull guardian of the message of Grace

My pledge to other members:
    A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. Prov 15:1
    A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver - Prov. 25:11

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only reason I asked these questions on confessions was that in the Goatyard Confession they state there belief that all scripture was inspired by God. And I saw that some people in the forum hold to certain confessions, but donot think that James is canonical. I dont want to discuss whether it is canonical or not because I've read thru the Multi-level canon thread and know the reasons that some do and some dont think it is canonical. I thought there may have been a contradiction between ones subscribing to a creed, but then rejecting James as not inspired. But you have answered my questions on the creeds. I appeal to some one if they would, to unban me as Bucky so I can discuss issues as being know by my Handle. I am not trying to hide my true personality, but as you well know there are those that misuse the internet. That is why I dont put much info about myself out there and become a victim of misuse. Some one posted that my lack of info about myself doesnt connote much seriousness on my part when it comes to issues. I will send a private message revealing my name and email to someone if it is desired. I know that some may think my posts are cynical or illogical, but they are very serious statements made with the upmost integrity. Some think I'm a Campbellite. Nothing can be farther from the truth. I am a Christian only, because that is a scriptural name to be identified with. In my posts you will not read quotes from any religious scholars; my posts are my beliefs that have come from reading and studying the Word of God. Yes, I've never heard of Hypers before. I've discussed theological points with many different groups over the years. Yes, the group know as Calvinists are probably the group I encounter in my daily personal life the most, since I married unbeknownst to me, into a Calvinistic holding family on my wife's side. They are 100% 5 points of Grace. And I will contend, they would put many a Calvinist to shame. Yes I do attend a Church of Christ. The local congregation is autonomous. We have no hiearchy but Christ. Yes we do have Elders and Deacons as the Bible prescribes, if they are qualified. I do believe that God is Sovereign. But God will never go against His Nature. I believe that God created Hell for the devil and his angels. I believe that unbelievers go to Hell because they want to go there. If they dont repent; they cast themselves into Hell because they reject the One and Only true God that created them. They would rather be with their father satan than to be with god for eternity. I believe that on judgement day there name wont be in the Book of life because they dont want it there. They reject God and His Christ of their own volition. I believe Christ could be their Savior, if they would only seek Him and find Him. But they have altogether become selfish and arrogant. He is who He is. Some of you may think that I'm DEAD wrong in my beliefs, that I make man the one who can save himself. On the contrary God provided a plan of saving His creation after the fall. He is credited with providing a means for one's salvation-Christ alone. We may differ on many aspects of the Bible, but I'm not meanspirited, not arrogant and I'm quick to listen. If you can scripturally show me and logically show me to be wrong on something- God knows that I will listen. Im really not concerned what luther, calvin, or for that fact what any person has said or written about the BiBle. I will stand before the Judgement Seat of Christ to answer for myself with Him as my advocate before God; Luther, calvin or any other man is not to be heard from while Im being Judged. Buckyteeth

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky
    The only reason I asked these questions on confessions was that in the Goatyard Confession they state there belief that all scripture was inspired by God. And I saw that some people in the forum hold to certain confessions, but donot think that James is canonical.
    Bucky, we do believe that ALL scripture is inspired, or God breathed. We question "is James is part of Scripture in the first place?"

I hope you also noted that our reasons are perfectly rational and historic, and based upon context and contrast with the whole of Scriptures.

Your question about confessions was excellent, by the way; some people believe that because we placed some of them in this Forum we blindly subscribe to them. Your question afforded us an opportunity to open for discussion the issue of their importance.

Costumarily, the "ban-ner" is the only one who can unban someone. Scott was reading the thread right after you wrote your post. He is a reasonable person and whatever decision he takes and makes he will be fully supported by the other moderators.

Milt
    Grace Ambassador
    A pitiful servant of God; a pitbull guardian of the message of Grace

My pledge to other members:
    A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. Prov 15:1
    A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver - Prov. 25:11

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will say that in the past, I have read SOME things about thomas and Alexander Campbell. I truly believe that alexander was a man of stature in his time. It was something to read how he was a member of a Presbetyrian Denomination- The Secedar branch I believe. I have enjoyed reading about his debates with other representatives from different denominations. He was a learned man in Greek, so as to talk about root meanings from scripture. People thru error build up people more than they truly are. Alexander was just a man not an enigma. I believe that God has given His creation freewill just as God has freewill within himself. God has to have freewill-to say he has otherwise leaves him open to control. No one controls God. God dwelt with man personally in Eden. God did not create them evil but good. He told them not to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, but told them they could eat of the tree of life-if they wanted to. God left it up to them to eat of the trees-He didnt force them to eat anything they didnt choose to eat. Man could be in God's presence in Eden because he knew not of evil or good. He had a pure conscience before God. Man had no guilt on his conscience at this point. God told man to be fruitful and multiply-fill the Garden. Man was created to become an eternal being at that time while in the Garden.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if the confessions are what you believe then it is not a wise idea to tell just anyone of these things, do not give what is sacred to dogs they will only turn on you.