Pristine Grace

Thread: 2 John 9-11

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

2 John 9-11

I did some searching through the forums and couldnt find anything specific, so I thought I could be directed to a thread or maybe if you brethren wanted to comment on these verses.
    The reason I'm am seeking counsel from everybody (especially the moderators though) is that my new boss, his parents, and some other family members had me over 2 nights ago to deal with the mormon visiting teachers/missionaries that were insisting on meeting with them.
    After those men left I opened up 2 John to these friends who are all just really getting into the scriptures and we are going to discuss some things as these people are asking my wife and I to lead them in a Bible study every wednesday now........
    Prov. 24:6
    Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: 2 John 9-11

Hi Bryan,

I will quickly give you my understanding.

First, it seems apparent that John has "religionists" in mind, not simply unbelievers in general. He says in v9 that these folks "go too far" and do not "abide in the teaching of Christ". I understand these to be bringers of a false gospel (Gal 1:8-9), the very "deceivers" and "antichrist" just mentioned in v7.

To these types we are not to give a brotherly greeting (certainly is not saying we cannot say hi). The Greek word is chairo, which literally means to rejoice. We are not to rejoice and be glad with them as if we share Christ. Neither should we invite them into our homes on the pretense of doctrinal agreement. Gill's commentary even mentions the house as also being the assembly/local church. While I do not believe we are to kick any type of sinners out of an assembly building if they come to listen and learn, I believe we clearly should not allow them to spread their filth in anyway.

Doing these things causes us to "participate in his evil deeds". If I give my right hand of fellowship to one bringing another gospel, then it is as if I am bringing that false gospel myself. Certainly a strong warning. Personally, I would not have invited the Mormons in to even speak with them, though I realize that it was not your home.

Nothing new there I don't think - just my general thoughts on this passage.

-Kyle
    Gal 6:14 But may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi Kyle, thanks for your thoughts, and I agree with them, I still hope some others will comment too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Whammer
    Hi Kyle, thanks for your thoughts, and I agree with them, I still hope some others will comment too.
    A read through Gill to get stability on a text:

2 John 1:9

Ver. 9. Whosoever transgresseth,.... Not the law of God, of which everyone is a transgressors and that daily, in thought, word, or deed; but who passes over the rule and standard of doctrine, the word of God, and will not adhere to that, nor walk according to it, but rejects and despises that rule:

and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ; which he received from his Father, and delivered to his apostles, and of which he is the sum and substance; the doctrine which is concerning his person as the Son of God, and as truly God, and the union of the two natures, divine and human, in his one person; and concerning his office, as the Mediator, surety, and messenger of the covenant, and as the prophet, priest, and King of his church; and concerning his incarnation, obedience, sufferings, death, resurrection from the dead, ascension to heaven, session at God's right hand, intercession for his people, and second coming to judgment; concerning peace and pardon by his blood, atonement by his sacrifice, justification by his righteousness, and complete salvation by him: this is xyvmh Klm lv wdwmlt, "the doctrine of the King Messiah", or the Messiah's Talmud {h}, to use the Jewish phrase, and which agrees with John's. Now, whoever has embraced and professed this doctrine, but errs concerning it, and rejects it, and abides not in it, as Satan abode not in the truth, appears to be of him:

hath not God; for his Father, but the devil, the father of lies; he has no true knowledge of God, for there is none but in Christ, whose doctrine such an one has denied; nor has he, nor can he, have communion with him, nor any interest in him.

He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ; as he hath received and professed it; neither can anything remove him from it, not the arguments of false teachers, nor the reproaches and persecutions of men, or the snares and allurements of the world:

he hath both the Father and the Son; he has an interest in them both, and has knowledge of each of them, and fellowship with them. The Alexandrian copy and the Vulgate Latin version leave out the phrase, "of Christ", in the preceding clause, and only read, "in the doctrine"; and the Syriac version, "in his doctrine"; the sense is the same.

{h} Bereshit Rabba, sect. 98. fol. 85. 3.

2 John 1:10

Ver. 10. If there come any unto you,.... Under the character of a preacher;

and bring not this doctrine; or does not preach the doctrine of Christ, as before explained, but despises it, and preaches a contrary one:

receive him not into [your] house; neither into the house of God, suffer him not to preach there; nor into your own house, give him no entertainment there: false teachers always tried to creep into houses, where they served their own turn every way, both by feeding their bellies, and spreading their pernicious doctrines; and therefore such should: be avoided, both publicly and privately; their ministry should not be attended on in the church, or house of God; and they should not be entertained in private houses, and much less caressed:

neither bid him God speed; or give him the usual civil form of salutation, as a good day to you, all hail, all health and prosperity attend you, the Lord be with you, and the like. The word used by the Jews was rvya, which signifies "happiness"; so it is said {i}, what do they salute with? rvya, "God speed"; which was forbidden to say to one that was ploughing in the seventh year. The meaning is, that with such no familiar conversation should be had, lest any encouragement should be given them; or it should induce a suspicion in the minds of other saints, that they are in the same sentiments; or it should tend to make others think favourably of them, and be a snare and a stumblingblock to weak Christians.

{i} T. Hieros. Sheviith, fol. 35. 2. Vid. Taanith. fol. 64. 2.

2 John 1:11

Ver. 11. For he that biddeth him God speed,.... Wishes him well, and success in his ministry, or in a friendly and familiar way converses with him:

is partaker of his evil deeds; he has fellowship with him, instead of reproving or shunning him, as he ought; he is an abettor of him in his principles, and so far joins in the propagation of them, and helps to spread them, and gives too much reason to think he is one with him in them.

.......some other things I found while looking around.

Book Review:

The Mormon Missionaries: An Inside Look at Their Real Message and Methods, by Janis Hutchinson. Grand Rapids, MI: Kregel Publications, 1995. 272 pp. $9.99 (softcover). [Reviewed by Agatha Lubbers.]
    Janis Hutchinson devoted thirty-four years of her life to activity in the Mormon Church during which time she filled two stake missions, married a returned missionary, and sent a daughter on a full-time mission. She writes, "I know the missionary mind-set, sincerity, and dedication. As a result, I may be guilty of rendering too sympathetic a portrayal of the two Mormon missionaries in this book."
    The subjects covered in this book are the same as the major topics included in the six lesson books used by the missionaries. These major topics are: 1/ Examining the "heavenly Father's plan," 2/ The Book of Mormon as another testament of Christ, 3/ The great apostasy and the gates of hell, 4/ Eternal progression and its destination.
    The first chapter entitled "Surprise on Campus" tells about the initial encounter by students at an anonymous Bible college in San Antonio, Texas, with Mormon missionaries. The book begins with the following episode: "Come quick" a student yelled, bursting through the door of the empty classroom where I was correcting papers.... Dashing outside the small wood-framed bungalow where I served as teacher of the cults class at a small Texas Bible college, I suddenly stopped short. I couldn't believe my eyes! There they were! Two Mormon missionaries! And -- of all places -- at a Bible college!"
    Using the classroom as the envelope of the story, Janis Hutchinson employs the dialogue of the characters to tell about the doctrines of Mormonism and to relate how Mormon missionaries carry their canned message. The dialogue of the characters in this story and the Bible college setting is based on the actual experience of Janis Hutchinson, but the characters are purely fictional and any resemblance to persons living or dead is coincidental.
    The reader will discover startling facts surrounding Mormonism's beginnings, is promised an eye-opener concerning the source of Joseph Smith's doctrines, and will learn the shocking motive behind Mormon missionary work. The author indicates that the reader's "own testimony will be strengthened as to the falseness of Mormonism -- just in case those television commercials are getting to you."
    The Scripture verses used in the text are taken from the King James Version because Mormons recognize no other version except parts of the "inspired translation" of the KJV by Joseph Smith (1833).
    In my opinion the most valuable aspect of the book was the chapter entitled "Magic and Masonry: How Joseph Smith put it all together." The impact of Magic and Masonic ideas on the ideology of the Mormon church becomes particularly obvious in this chapter.
    In one of the episodes in chapter seven the following dialogue occurs. One of the students in the class asks, "After Smith died did succeeding presidents continue in occult practices?" Professor Hutchinson answers, "... Brigham Young used Oliver Cowdery's divining rod to decide where the Salt Lake Temple should be built. In addition when Young and Taylor (second and third presidents) supervised the making of a woodcut seal for the twelve apostles, they copied occult symbols from Jacob Boehm's Theosophical Works -- a book used for two hundred years by Christian Kabbalists and Rosicrucians." The book is a polemic against the adherents of this false religion that now number more than nine million. Those reading this book will find that the false doctrines of Mormonism are well-documented and instruction concerning the heresies of this religion are woven through the episodes and dialogue of the story. The book is recommended for your enjoyment and instruction and is recommended for church and school libraries.

Greetings and salutations, el rana

21There are many devices in a man's heart; nevertheless the counsel of the LORD, that shall stand.

Proverbs chapter 19