Pristine Grace
Page 1 of 8 1 ... LastLast

Thread: False Gospel?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question False Gospel?

I have a question, and I have the answer....I think. Concerning false gospels, a false gospel is a gospel conditioned on the sinner, right? If one does not believe in the atoning work, and imputed righteousness of Christ and that alone, we are to judge that person as lost? So if one believes you can fall from grace, universal atonement, he is lost, right? My so called good friend believes these heresies, and I still like to entertain the thoughts that he is saved, but what do I do, tell him to repent and that he is still dead in his sins?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Re: False Gospel?

Nicholas you do have a question, and you do have the answer! God commands us to "judge righteous judgment" (John 7:24). We are to judge according to the Word, not what we think or feel. I judge according to God's testimony that if it comes out of the mouth of a sinner that there are ANY conditions added to the work of Christ, I judge that person lost. ANY condition added to the work of Christ for salvation is a lie, and "no lie is of the truth" (I John 2:21). When the Holy Spirit regenerates a person, He does not teach them lies. UNIVERSAL ATONEMENT: Any sinner who believes in universal atonement, I judge them lost. Universal atonement TOTALLY denies the work of Christ, and dishonors God in so many ways just to hear it taught makes me want to physically puke at the hatred of it. When the Holy Spirit calls us "by our gospel" (II Thess 2:14) He certainly will not teach the elect about a "universal atonement". I have come to the point where I detest to be around Arminians in spiritual conversations, except for the fact that I love them enough to refute their teachings and attempt to present the true gospel to them. Nicholas as you grow in grace you 'll find all your Arminian spiritual contacts fading with the sunsets!. Nicholas, love your friend enough to tell him the truth. PS: concering falling from grace, that just goes along with "conditionalism"....there are many verses to refute that God dis-honoring doctrine......but many will not see that until they see the true work of Christ wrought out for the elect only.........KK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Amen KK..
    There is no such thing as preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what...is called Calvinism...It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

charles spurgeon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmmm. At what point...

A few problems.

A. A person who has been regenerated and has received active, saving faith is not going to immediately be theologically astute, but must progress in their understanding. If you take your basis for judgment too strictly, you may be condemning a person who has not been taught the "formula" yet.

B. You want to be careful not to make precise understanding a condition for salvation, otherwise you have introduced "flesh" into the equation for justification, i.e. rationalism. Faith progresses and none of us start out with pure belief. Besides...

C. How pure does one's belief have to be in order to be alive spiritually? As pure as yours, or mine, or his, or hers? Does any of us ot contain germs of heresy in our thinking or do we claim to have comprehensive knowledge of the nature of the Gospel at some point (a dalliance with Semi-Pelagianism at least).

D. If we believe, as we should, that the righteousness of Christ is imputed to the believer through the instrument of faith, this righteous imputation is not only efficacious for justification, but carries on into the sanctified life of the believer as well. It therefore covers our future imperfections... including somw incorrect doctrines... even with regard to the Gospel itself.

Don't get me wrong. The Gospel is as pure as saving grace itself because it comes directly from the revelation of Christ received by the apostles. But it is the purity of the Gospel that saves, not the absolutely correct belief about the Gospel. That brings us back toward Arminianism.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Hmmm. At what point...

I think you are wrong Corvid! I believe we must believe the Gospel in order to be saved! The atoning work and imputed righteousness is the purity of the Gospel, it is when we add the work of the sinner that makes the Gospel impure....it seems that the church today is very ignorant of the Gospel, and that this should be very basic doctrine....what has the church been doing all these years, to lose the Gospel? Don't get me wrong we are all saved by grace, but we must believe the Gospel to be saved......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the confusion here Corvid is in wording, no body here presumes to have knowledge of the "Lambs book of life", so this judgement that is being spokent of in this thread is not of who is elect or not.....it is merely of peoples professions........the gospel is clear in the scriptures, those who can not articulate every point may be elect but that is not going to be clear to us now is it? Do you want to give anyone a false assurance of salvation? False hope? Especially when we hear a "works salvation" and a jesus that died to make everyone savable........is this the truth? After reading Gal. 1:1-9 would you be comfortable telling someone they are saved by such a gospel as the one I just constructed, which by the way is the popular gospel in this country of ours? So lets place judgement in the right context here..........Nicholas I agree with Craig and Darryl completely, you are on the right track

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Hi Corvid! You said: the righteousness of Christ imputed is through the instrument of faith- I do not agree. The Bible clearly teaches that the righteousness of Christ has been imputed from eternity to the elect in the mind & purpose of God ( Rom 8:29.30; Eph 1:3-6; II Timothy1:9; Rev 13:8). Christ meritoriously established righteousness for the elect in linear time at the cross (Isa 53:10,11; Rom 5:9,10). To say that God imputes righteousness throught the INSTUMENT of faith implies a condition that must occur (apart from Christ's work) to make imputation occur. That makes it a work! There never was a time when Christ's righteousness was not imputed to the elect (supralapsarianism); God is pleased to let us in on it when His Spirit regenerates us! NO CONDITIONS- not even faith!. As for who is saved and who is not saved. I don't spend my days running around judging every sinner wether they are saved or not. But we must have a STANDARD to judge. My standard is the gospel: that Christ's righteousness ALONE saves us, preserves us, and entitles us to all of salvation, including final glory BEFORE we do anything. The work of the Holy Spirit is the "fruit" (result) of Christ righteousness being imputed to the elect from eternity. Faith, of course a gift of God, is another "fruit" (result) of Christ's righteousness imputed to us from eternity, but faith has NOTHING to do with the ground of salvation which is Christ's righteousness imputed plus nothing. God tells us: " EVERY man therefore that hath HEARD, and hath LEARNED of the Father, cometh unto me" (John 6:45). Speaking in Kentucky slang- do you think the Father learned people universal atonement or salvation condition on the sinner?...ABSOLUTELY ABSOLUTELY NOT! All of God's elect will hear the true gospel, THEN come to Christ (Rom 1:16,17; IIThess 2:13,14). Eph 1:13: "In whom ye also trusted, AFTER (not before) that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation:". When a sinner speaks of "universal atonement" (which TOTALLY denies the true gospel), or "salvation conditioned on the sinner" (which TOTALLY denies the true gospel)- do you think it is God's Spirit teaching them this? God forbid!.......KK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Amen Craig, these things you have said have never been more relevant than our own time IMO. We need to distinguish faith like you said, it is a "fruit of the Holy Spirit", a gift that is a result of Christ's work.
    You ask people these days when they were saved, and they start looking back to a day that they said a "sinners prayer", as if salvation depended on them and faith was a "freewill" operation of their own doing...garbage!

Christ's work + nothing = Salvation

Christ's work + anything else = False Gospel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nheath37
    I think you are wrong Corvid! I believe we must believe the Gospel in order to be saved! The atoning work and imputed righteousness is the purity of the Gospel, it is when we add the work of the sinner that makes the Gospel impure....it seems that the church today is very ignorant of the Gospel, and that this should be very basic doctrine....what has the church been doing all these years, to lose the Gospel? Don't get me wrong we are all saved by grace, but we must believe the Gospel to be saved......
    Hm, I would say that we should believe the gospel to manifest that we have been saved ! Is that what you mean sir?
    There is no such thing as preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what...is called Calvinism...It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

charles spurgeon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Kid
    Hi Corvid! You said: the righteousness of Christ imputed is through the instrument of faith- I do not agree. The Bible clearly teaches that the righteousness of Christ has been imputed from eternity to the elect in the mind & purpose of God ( Rom 8:29.30; Eph 1:3-6; II Timothy1:9; Rev 13:8). Christ meritoriously established righteousness for the elect in linear time at the cross (Isa 53:10,11; Rom 5:9,10). To say that God imputes righteousness throught the INSTUMENT of faith implies a condition that must occur (apart from Christ's work) to make imputation occur. That makes it a work! There never was a time when Christ's righteousness was not imputed to the elect (supralapsarianism); God is pleased to let us in on it when His Spirit regenerates us! NO CONDITIONS- not even faith!. As for who is saved and who is not saved. I don't spend my days running around judging every sinner wether they are saved or not. But we must have a STANDARD to judge. My standard is the gospel: that Christ's righteousness ALONE saves us, preserves us, and entitles us to all of salvation, including final glory BEFORE we do anything. The work of the Holy Spirit is the "fruit" (result) of Christ righteousness being imputed to the elect from eternity. Faith, of course a gift of God, is another "fruit" (result) of Christ's righteousness imputed to us from eternity, but faith has NOTHING to do with the ground of salvation which is Christ's righteousness imputed plus nothing. God tells us: " EVERY man therefore that hath HEARD, and hath LEARNED of the Father, cometh unto me" (John 6:45). Speaking in Kentucky slang- do you think the Father learned people universal atonement or salvation condition on the sinner?...ABSOLUTELY ABSOLUTELY NOT! All of God's elect will hear the true gospel, THEN come to Christ (Rom 1:16,17; IIThess 2:13,14). Eph 1:13: "In whom ye also trusted, AFTER (not before) that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation:". When a sinner speaks of "universal atonement" (which TOTALLY denies the true gospel), or "salvation conditioned on the sinner" (which TOTALLY denies the true gospel)- do you think it is God's Spirit teaching them this? God forbid!.......KK
    Atta Boy KK

charles spurgeon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I see I'm talking to the wrong camp. I'll leave you guys to your devices. I would add for your perusal that faith, the instrument of justification, is created after regeneration by the Word of God, this is plainly laid out in Scripture, therefore the idea of faith as instrument is not a work of man, but of God who calls the sinner to life through the Gospel.

Someone above said belief in the Gospel is essential to salvation. This is patently false and has no foundation in Scripture. Belief in Christ is essential to salvation, not in a correct proposition to the means of grace. This view is works righteousness in essence, the belief in right belief. No child or novice sinner can possibly have perfect belief in the nuances of the Gospel. What he must believe is that he is a sinner under God's displeasure and in need of Christ's redemption. He cannot possibly understand what that really means because he, as a sinner, has been blind in his trespasses and sins and dark in his understanding. He simply knows he is sick and needs to be healed. Remember that the thief on the cross was railing Jesus just before he asked for mercy. Did the thief understand the proper view of justification by grace through faith alone? Did he understand that the Christ who was dying was atoning, involved in the Act of Righteousness, was the Second person of the Holy Trinity, was the hypostatic union of divine and human natures? Of course he didn't. Like the publican he knew and felt that he was a sinner and that he needed mercy from God. That was all he needed to know and all he could know and it was enough, not because he was erudite, but because salvation is of the Lord.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question: How do you all feel about the people who profess to hold to and believe the doctrines of grace, and say that salvation is not conditional on man, but then who turn around and embrace the Arminian as a brother in the Lord, (figuring he is just "saved but confused"). I started going to this OPC church and they are like that. And when so many of these "nominal calvinists" (if i may use the phrase) preach the "gospel", WHY do they preach it like an Arminian would when they say they hate Arminianism?? I just never understood why they feel they need to be shady about the truth. Would these people be lost as well, even though they say they believe salvation is by God alone?

(Seems like by embracing the antithesis of the Gospel, they have denied the Gospel?..) I am convinced that most professing Calvinists are nothing more than Arminians wearing masks, looking to be intellectual.....anyone agree?

Sorry if you guys already talked about this elsewhere, just thought I'd see where you all stand on this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bring Marshmellows.

Quote Originally Posted by Merry & Joyful
    "WHY do they preach it like an Arminian would when they say they hate Arminianism?? I just never understood why they feel they need to be shady about the truth."
    The apostle Paul said, "I speak as a fool" when refering to some of his phrasings. Certainly we choose and scripture says we do, but the language of choice is often confused by the teller and hearer of the word with the notion that they "Freely" choose, something no one can do. I ask people to choose for the Lord as if they were able to do so. If in fact God has chosen them, they are able to do so and God's plan is revealed. It was determined that I would ask, it was determined they would respond. God quickened them so they they could and would inevitably make the choice just as they do. If this is not the case, my witness and request to them that they choose merely condemns them to a more miserable place in hell as it deprives them of yet another excuse.

Hugh McBryde
    "Every word of God is tested; He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him. Do not add to His words Or He will reprove you, and you will be proved a liar."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The problem I have is that most people say "free-will" as an attribute of men, but they actually mean SOVEREIGN WILL as an attribute of men that God bows down and subjects Himself to, and is incapable of changing.

Total depravity, if I understood Calvin, means that men are intrinsically evil and not intensely evil. He can choose to do good things (?) but he cannot, is incapable, is not programmed to, choose the ultimate Good! Even the most of evil men did some good for his kids, grandkids, pet dogs, and in some cases, entire neighborhoods, as in the case of drug king pins in South America. But they cannot choose God because THEY'RE EVIL. All the good they practice is a waste!

There is no free will! There is no Sovereign will of men! God is not subject of men's will!

As to asking people to choose God I believe it to be entire irrelevant. If one asks one to choose God and he is not one of Jesus' sheep, the sound of the request will be as discussing brain surgery procedures with a goat and expect the goat to be a brain surgeon after one minute of conversation. Everyone who was asked to "choose God", if they are saved it is not because they chose God, rather it is because they were chosen by God and God used that foolish question as He planned for His own reasons. Salvation is NEVER because a man chose God! Salvation is ALWAYS of the Lord whether one answered to a request or command to choose God or just received God because God decided to reveal Himself to him in their own road to Damascus.

Milt
    Grace Ambassador
    A pitiful servant of God; a pitbull guardian of the message of Grace

My pledge to other members:
    A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. Prov 15:1
    A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver - Prov. 25:11

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Merry & Joyful
    Question: How do you all feel about the people who profess to hold to and believe the doctrines of grace, and say that salvation is not conditional on man, but then who turn around and embrace the Arminian as a brother in the Lord, (figuring he is just "saved but confused"). I started going to this OPC church and they are like that. And when so many of these "nominal calvinists" (if i may use the phrase) preach the "gospel", WHY do they preach it like an Arminian would when they say they hate Arminianism?? I just never understood why they feel they need to be shady about the truth. Would these people be lost as well, even though they say they believe salvation is by God alone?

(Seems like by embracing the antithesis of the Gospel, they have denied the Gospel?..) I am convinced that most professing Calvinists are nothing more than Arminians wearing masks, looking to be intellectual.....anyone agree?

Sorry if you guys already talked about this elsewhere, just thought I'd see where you all stand on this.
    Hi Stacey! I'm so glad to see you posting this is a fine place to post your thoughts.

I agree that alot of churches today don't hold to the biblical standards, like they say they believe in calvinism and tend to act just like arminians. Or they believe that God causes one to be elected but not everything, that He allows sin. And churches still are liberal and not direct in their teaching, its like they are afraid to say it how it is.

I think more churches need to talk about God adopting, God causing us to believe, God opening our eyes. I know my pastor the other day prayed a prayer for Gods Will to be done, that He would open the eyes of the people in the congregation who He has chosen. Instead of praying that some men would believe. I think a lot of churches have taken the focus off of the Gospel, grace, and what God does. I think many churches are focused on doing good works, are focused on what people do even though they say God does it all their focus isn't on Him doing anything but them doing it.

Matthew 13:3-9
    3And He spoke many things to them in parables, saying, "Behold, the sower went out to sow;

4and as he sowed, some seeds fell beside the road, and the birds came and ate them up.
    5"Others fell on the rocky places, where they did not have much soil; and immediately they sprang up, because they had no depth of soil.
    6"But when the sun had risen, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.
    7"Others fell among the thorns, and the thorns came up and choked them out.
    8"And others fell on the good soil and yielded a crop, some a hundredfold, some sixty, and some thirty. 9"He who has ears, let him hear."

Many may say they believe in calvinism but they have no roots, I think that is what you are seeing, that many who say they are calvinism do not live by that, do not preach that.. there are no roots no true regeneration of that person in Christ. And another thing I wonder about how can people say that God is sovereign and yet say he only allows sin? Isn't it one way or the other? Isn't it that He is sovereign over everything or nothing? Why do people not understand that He is the cause of everything? It is quite annoying, that is why I really enjoy the fellowship on the forum here.

Sorry if this was alot.. hopefully it helped some and sure others will post. Welcome again to the forum! God bless you!

Mary
    A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold. - Wisdom

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught [it], but by the revelation of Jesus Christ."
    Galatians 1:12 (How clearly the Gospel is presented in the book of Galatians...Amen, and Amen!)

I have read some pretty good accounts of the Gospel, by the likes of Keith Green, in his article... 'What's Wrong With The Gospel ?' and recently begun reading Charles Hodges - 'Justification by Faith alone'; and plan to read Jonathan Edwards on the same topic (very long).... plus one that is on the piano by Dr. Lorraine Boettner, simply titled : 'What is the Gospel?'

The Holy Spirit in: 1 Corinthians 15 especially the opening passages; make the point so clearly. Amen !

1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
    Continue to read and be blessed at how clearly Paul by the Holy Spirit presented the Gospel. It is all about what Jesus did. Amen!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Freewill? Bwahahahaha.....

Quote Originally Posted by GraceAmbassador
    "There is no free will! There is no Sovereign will of men! God is not subject of men's will!"
    Aside from it's use with offerings in the temple, there is only one place where the term free will is used (as translated) in scripture, Ezra 7:13, in the letter of a pagan King. The notion that such use a doctrine makes, is laughable.
    "I make a decree, that all they of the people of Israel, and of his priests and Levites, in my realm, which are minded of their own freewill to go up to Jerusalem, go with thee."
    Hugh McBryde
    "Every word of God is tested; He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him. Do not add to His words Or He will reprove you, and you will be proved a liar."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let's say I'm going to present the Gospel to an unbeliever. Could someone give me a list of the things that are necessary to include, maybe give a few examples of how to word things to them?

I have lots of unsaved people in my life, but I am just horrible at speaking. Of course, it's not me or my speaking skills that saves them, it's God, which is quite comforting. But I would still like to know what a good, complete Gospel presentation to the unbeliever should include. I hear different people including different things, or saying it differently. Like some would order people to repent and believe, and some would just tell people they have no ability at all. Some would just say "Christ died for sinners" (even most "reformers" word it this way), others would say "Christ died for the elect". However I don't think you can have a Gospel without including Christ's work for the elect--to not mention it is to not mention Christ's redemptive work! right?

So if anyone can help me out, that would be much appreciated.

Stacey

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't believe this whole notion that every person who is truly saved will believe a, b, and c about the atonement. Oh, but it's a part of the Gospel you say? Well so is what Jesus says about the kingdom of God. The Bible says everywhere that Jesus sent his disciples to preach the Gospel of the kingdom. So then in order for someone to be truly saved they would have to have the right view on eschatology as well. Everything in the Bible tells us about the Gospel and if everyone has to know and believe everything that the Bible says and that means agreeing with you on what the Bible says then that probably means that either you are going to eventually think that you are the only guy going to heaven (and should probably start doubting yourself) or you end up with a small group of other people just nodding to whatever you say.

What do the Scriptures say? Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved. They do not give a big long list of things that you have to be able to articulate. There are people who put all their trust and hope in Christ for their salvation and yet say some statements from time to time which contradict that statement. I don't believe such a person is unregenerate but that they should be corrected in their error so that they can know and love God more fully. There are certainly those on the other side who have fallen into the error of putting their trust in believing all the right doctrines and maybe their souls are in even graver danger than the immature Christian who is still sorting everything out.
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine

Page 1 of 8 1 ... LastLast