Pristine Grace

Thread: Charismatic Gifts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Charismatic Gifts

I haven't exactly come to a conclusion about charismatic gifts. While I view people engaged in "healing" and "prophesying" with much reservation (literally), I don't take sides. Only just now did I read an article on the subject, it was pretty convincing, but before that I only heard of Eph. 2:20 being used as an argument for cessationism, which I can't see how anyone would interpret that way, I think that's the most far-fetched argument for something I've ever seen. Anyway, give me your relevant Bible quotes.
    For innumerable evils have compassed me about: mine iniquities have taken hold upon me, so that I am not able to look up; they are more than the hairs of mine head: therefore my heart faileth me. (Ps. 40:12)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Charismatic Gifts

Most people want a sign directly from God. They walk by sight and not faith. They tend to believe that non-charismatics are out of touch, that they have the "inside track". They focus on this life and not the afterlife.

When they ask me if I'm charismatic, I always say "Yes, but I don't babble about it!".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A charismatic Calvinist, well there ya go...

Come on, is there no one else who can give some answers? At least paste a link I pray you!
    For innumerable evils have compassed me about: mine iniquities have taken hold upon me, so that I am not able to look up; they are more than the hairs of mine head: therefore my heart faileth me. (Ps. 40:12)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I believe many of the gifts were apostolic only (healing) and that others have been misunderstood (ie. tongues - prophesy)
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brandan
    I believe many of the gifts were apostolic only (healing) and that others have been misunderstood (ie. tongues - prophesy)
    Pray elaborate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daw

Come on, is there no one else who can give some answers? At least paste a link I pray you!
    That is funny, but no disrespect intended
    There is no such thing as preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what...is called Calvinism...It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

charles spurgeon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know what is meant by Charasmativ gifts either, but yeah it seems that gifts were specifically entrusted to the apostles for building the church.
    If its a gift, its a gift though, you don't earn it, it's God's will to give it to you. It's probably only relevant to what God wants to accomplish. Look at all the things that Jesus did, and still people did not believe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts

Dan: If its a gift, its a gift though, you don't earn it, it's God's will to give it to you. It's probably only relevant to what God wants to accomplish. Look at all the things that Jesus did, and still people did not believe.

Exactly! That is why I do not accept the notion of an 'office' of pastor, elder, deacon, teacher, etc. in this age. These things are not offices, they are gifts that God gives which men can only either recognize or reject! So when a congregation claims to have pastors, elders, deacons, or teachers, such a CLAIM means nothing in and of itself--even if a big deal is made out of the fact that the assembly CHOSE and ORDAINED such persons. It is only God that chooses and ordains anyone today. Men and women can only agree with or reject HIS ordination! So that is it.
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daw

I have not read all the links on this page so I cannot wholly endorse what is taught on this site, I do believe this site explains the gifts as revealed in the New Testament with sources.

http://www.acts17-11.com/dictionary_gifts.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert R. Higby
    Dan: If its a gift, its a gift though, you don't earn it, it's God's will to give it to you. It's probably only relevant to what God wants to accomplish. Look at all the things that Jesus did, and still people did not believe.

Exactly! That is why I do not accept the notion of an 'office' of pastor, elder, deacon, teacher, etc. in this age. These things are not offices, they are gifts that God gives which men can only either recognize or reject! So when a congregation claims to have pastors, elders, deacons, or teachers, such a CLAIM means nothing in and of itself--even if a big deal is made out of the fact that the assembly CHOSE and ORDAINED such persons. It is only God that chooses and ordains anyone today. Men and women can only agree with or reject HIS ordination! So that is it.
    If a minister, elder or deacon in the congregations are not office bearers...than what are they Bob?? Do you not consider a faithful officebearer in the congregation....a gift from the Lord...if not what then are they??
    Greetings and salutations, el rana

21There are many devices in a man's heart; nevertheless the counsel of the LORD, that shall stand.

Proverbs chapter 19

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Ray - ALL believers are gifts from the Lord.
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Gill
    Ray - ALL believers are gifts from the Lord.
    Right on....so that includes believing ministers, elders , and deacons too.......right??
    Greetings and salutations, el rana

21There are many devices in a man's heart; nevertheless the counsel of the LORD, that shall stand.

Proverbs chapter 19

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Gill
    brandon it`s been a long time since I discussed this issue, but I agree with you, so far on this issue..
    There is no such thing as preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what...is called Calvinism...It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

charles spurgeon