Pristine Grace
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 3

Thread: Is the New Testament assembly extinct?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Re: Is the New Testament assembly extinct?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert R. Higby
    I respect where all of you are at (Kyle, KK, Ray, Eileen, etc.) even though they are different types of assemblies. What has to be understood is this: Brandan and I have a much stronger mistrust of church authority than most--based on conviction & past experience. In challenging the claim of churches to apostolic authority on certain doctrines, I do not want to spoil anyone's local fellowship in the gospel or tell them to leave where they are (unless the assembly is gospel-denying in its essence--which would take a lot of evaluation to know). I do challenge people, however, to look to the Word empowered by the Holy Spirit for truth. Don't depend on church leaders & assume that they are right because of their office.
    I paddle my boat in the same stream you travel in. I am suspicious of motives of most churches not that they intentionally set out to decieve but when tradition and denominational affiliation have an unquestioned authority grace dies and law is the norm.
    Isaiah 45:7, (KJV), I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Melted
    I am becoming passionate about this topic and hope that God keeps me in check. I see attacks against offices and assemblies which have NO SCRIPTURAL SUPPORT, and have a firm foundation of mere speculation and anecdotal evidence. Many here conform to a Scripturalist epistomology, yet seem to thrown that out completely when discussing this issue. Because a person has seen 1000 white ducks, does that mean that the next duck will be white? Because you've seen 1000 apostate assemblies, does that mean that the next one will be apostate?
    Dear Brother Kyle:

As for me, I am the kind of a person who likes passionate people and not people who make up as they go along. Your passion gives credence and respect to your opinion. There is no need to apologize for being passionate as far as I am concerned.

This issue sprung up off the Women in the ministry thread where I thought we were placing an undue burden on the issue of women in the ministry in comparison with how we treat other inadequacies of the current congregations.

I believe that it is my duty to point out what I believe is error in the local congregations. I believe is also my duty to refrain from fellowship with those to whom I will be nothing than a "number" and another "neck" for them to look upon as I sit in front of them.

In another past thread I spoke of this "back of the neck" relationship that some congregations maintain, where members are mere spectators and not real participants. This type of setting is a fertile ground for all kinds of tradition cultivation, which then blossom into full blown error. I refuse to be this type of spectator and as intensely as you defend the fellowship and the assembling of ourselves together, which I also do, I defend the fact that we should be a little bit more demanding of where we fellowship and forget the age old excuse that no "congregation is perfect".

I do fellowship sometimes with the weirdest of all folks; until I find out of course. In general I attempt to imitate Paul and be "all things to all people to see if I may gain some". I believe in assembling and love people and wish I could assemble and fellowship even more and more frequently with more people. The reason I believe that "apostolic congregations" are either extinct or a "species in danger of extinction" apart from the intervention of God, is that MANY of the characteristics of the "apostolic congregation" which are in fact very easy to fulfill, imitate and comply, have been banned by current leaders simply for non established and unsubstantiated theological positions, and because in many aspects, we maintained whatever we inherited from the RCC and reformed solely that which was convenient for us (Thank God, at least that).

If you want a list, although you asked of Bob I could present you with one; however, I would start another heated discussion about certain things with which I found it would be impossible to agree with. You may say, "Try it Milt" and I will tell you that it has already been tried. Check the history of this forum when we discussed the fellowship and the assembling of ourselves together!

Also my list could be honestly construed as based in my own biases and views about New Testament Theology. So, a list may not be the ideal. If one reads the Epistles of Paul, the Ecclesiology of Paul; if one reads scriptures where he mentions in details what should be happening in the fellowship of a congregation, compare that to what happens every Sunday in many congregations accross the Globe and then find out for yourself if you see those things in there. I will not give anyone any hint; but specifically in terms of fellowship, we are NOT even close to the fellowship in the New Testament as displayed in Paul's writings.

I don't know if you deem this a rumbling on my part, but I can prophesy here that if I place a list, or perhaps if anyone else does, of things they wished to see in a congregation to call similarities with the N.T. Apostolic congregations, you and others, and even me would probably, passionately and sincerely, be the first one to attempt to start a sub-heading of discussion in every which point of the list.

The list is laid out in the Epistles of Paul. Don't look at Acts since they gathered in the Synagogue and perhaps one would like to believe that temple worshiping is still in force, along with community living. Check Paul! The list is there to be seen.

I hope no one reads this as if Milt is against the assembling of ourselves together. I love it, I cherish it, I think is Godly and sweet in the sight of the Lord.

By the way, let's kiss each other with a holy kiss! Good night!

"...but I want you to be wise about what is good, and innocent about what is evil.
    The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet.
    The grace of our Lord Jesus be with you.". Paul in Romans 16:19-20

Milt
    Grace Ambassador
    A pitiful servant of God; a pitbull guardian of the message of Grace

My pledge to other members:
    A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. Prov 15:1
    A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver - Prov. 25:11

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you Brother Milt! I am confident that your prophecy concerning the list would become true - we could debate such things for some time I am sure!

Quote Originally Posted by GraceAmbassador
    I hope no one reads this as if Milt is against the assembling of ourselves together. I love it, I cherish it, I think is Godly and sweet in the sight of the Lord.
    Amen!
    Gal 6:14 But may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 3