Pristine Grace

Thread: Book recommendations

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Book recommendations

Have you any books to recommend upon 'high' grace?
    "Blessed is the man whom thou choosest, and causest to approach unto thee, that he may dwell in thy courts: we shall be satisfied with the goodness of thy house, even of thy holy temple." - Psalm 65:4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Re: Book recommendations

For a start, two of the best I can think of are available from The Trinity Foundation:

Gordon Clark: Predestination
    Gordon Clark: Religion, Reason, and Revelation

These two books--though not going fully in belief where some of us have finally gone--nonetheless present a high-grace method of looking at the Bible not taught much elsewhere. I know that reading these books caused me to start reasoning things through biblically in light of God's supralapsarian grace. The result is where I am today; none of the principles have changed one iota from what Clark has written. It is just that many of us believe we have reasoned those principles through to their logical conclusion more than some who have gone before us.
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert R. Higby
    For a start, two of the best I can think of are available from The Trinity Foundation:

Gordon Clark: Predestination
    Gordon Clark: Religion, Reason, and Revelation

These two books--though not going fully in belief where some of us have finally gone--nonetheless present a high-grace method of looking at the Bible not taught much elsewhere. I know that reading these books caused me to start reasoning things through biblically in light of God's supralapsarian grace. The result is where I am today; none of the principles have changed one iota from what Clark has written. It is just that many of us believe we have reasoned those principles through to their logical conclusion more than some who have gone before us.
    Amazing, amazing, amazing. I began listening to lectures by Gordon Haddon Clark some time back. Pretty hard going in the beginning. Dictionary in one hand and Bible in the other, and a pen that moves like lightening. Do you perhaps have any of his books in Word.doc --- I have most of the lectures downloaded. But the books are the next step.

You have been posting some really interesting stuff on the forum regarding the Scriptures.

I am currently writing and resting from lectures but would love to get my nose into a full length book by Clark - The Johannine Logos, I think that is the title really, is a right on one....nuff sed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As a good introduction and presentation of 'high grace' that still falls within the bounds of reformed orthodoxy I would highly recommend the very Biblical "Sovereignty of God" by A.W. Pink.

For further reading I would suggest the writings of Herman Hoeksema (particularly the Triple Knowledge) and Tobias Crisp ("Christ Alone Exalted").
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wildboar,
    Has Jonathan Edwards written anything on 'high grace' ???

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Herman Hoeksema (1886-1965) is considered one of the founding "fathers" of the Protestant Reformed Churches in America. He and his consistory (Eastern Ave. Christian Reformed Church in Grand Rapids, MI) were suspended and deposed from their offices in 1924-1925 because of their opposition to the "Three Points of Common Grace" adopted by the Christian Reformed Church in the Synod of Kalamazoo, MI in 1924. He, together with Rev. George M. Ophoff, Rev. H. Danhof and their consistories continued in office in the "Protesting Christian Reformed Church" which shortly thereafter were named the "Protestant Reformed Churches in America."

Wildboar, it the 'Triple Knowledge' you refer to the same as what is called 'Three Points of Common Grace'.... ??? Where does one find these writings.... I found six audio files at sermonaudio.com ~ Maybe, "Jesus the Complete Saviour" ?

I only found two sermons by Tobais Crisp at the same address.

1. Our Righteousness but Loss and Dung
    2. That God bestows Christ himself, the chief of all his mercies; first, unto sinful men, and that all...

Pink's sermon should be easy enought to find, but what of the one by Crisp, "CHRIST ALONE EXALTED"

Thanks for opening this up.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Excellent! A 'new' collection of audio mp3 (plenty) OF A.W. Pink have been placed on sermonaudio.com --->>> I am sure that 'Sovereignty of God' will be among the 5 or so pages of sermons. Thanks again Wildboar for the adds. Peace in Christ, Katoikei.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Okay, I found a nine part audio on the lectures by A.W. Pink on the 'Sovereignty of God' ... here ~ Praise the Lord (I read this many years ago...)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The collection of Christ Alone exalted by Crisp is all that remains of his works. Here is a more complete listing of his sermons: http://grace-for-today.com/cax.htm

Jonathan Edwards is certainly a great hero of the faith but I am not as familiar with him as I should be. I'm not sure exactly how you are defining high grace. He was certainly a Calvinist but would not fit within the upper extremeties of Calvinism.

Hoeksema's work "The Triple Knowledge" is collection of sermons by Hoeksema going through the Heidelburgh Catechism. It is so named because of the three-fold division of the catechism and doesn't really have anything to do with common grace particularly though he does spend some time refuting common grace in its pages. It's not available to my knowledge on-line but it is well worth investing in. It was originally release in a many volume set but now comes in three volumes. In my opinion it does a better job than his Reformed Dogmatics at providing a comprehensive overview of Christian doctrine from a high Calvinist perspective.

As for audio files, I'm not very knowledgable. I'm still using dial-up and so very rarely do I look into downloadable audio files. Also, although I'm starting to realize some of the benefits of the spoken word, I tend to learn better from printed words.
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hoeksema's work "The Triple Knowledge" is collection of sermons by Hoeksema going through the Heidelburgh Catechism
    Wildboar,
    This should be fairly easy to find. I have not yet read the Heidelburgh Catechism. (Is this the one you favour ?)

It is good that you do not know much of Jonathan Edwards, you would do well to get into his stuff, as well as John Bunyan. (If you have not already)

I have only read the Bible for years and eyes... and then over the last two or three years, I began to listen and then eventually to listen and read simultaneously. For me certainly I have found that in reading I sometime just don't see stuff, and in listening I just don't hear stuff...that way I cover both simultaneously and it has improved my general understanding of a book, as well as getting to the heart of much Scripture... Lately I acquired 'Orthodoxy' by GK Chesterton... (It really is a challenge to Christian Philosophy...I do not think I could have read such a book...however, I listened to it easily...It is the same with Isaiah...I found myself nodding off...but when I took it in the car with me...I got through all 66 chapters five times...that book ROCKS!!!! --- I do not know how to explain the reaction that my mind had to the Scripture, but I know now why Jesus quoted it so often, and Paul...the Holy Spirit poured through those Scripture with a brilliance and a healing that is absolutely AMAZING!!!! )

Thankyou so much for the link to Crisp's sermons, I know I am going to enjoy that so much. Bless the Lord.

Love His appearing,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't say that I necessarily favor the Heidelberg Catechism over all other catechisms. It certainly has it's strengths, it's very pastoral but there benefits to the Westminster Catechisms and other reformed catechisms as well. I would certainly recommend giving it a read. It can be read here as well as other places: http://www.reformed.org/documents/in...eidelberg.html Schaff's translation of it I've seen but the one here is good as well. I'm not sure if Schaff's can be found on-line or not.

I've read Pilgrim's Progress by Bunyan as well as some shorter works and have certainly enjoyed him. It would probably do me well to re-read Pilgrim's Progress at some point. I do have quite a long list of books I would like to read. I recently finished Orthodoxy by Chesterton and then read Heretics, both were very thought provoking. Right now I'm reading A Generous Orthodoxy by Brian Mclaren. There are quite a few emerging church folk in our area and I'm hoping to be able to engage in more intelligent conversation. I was also considering writing a comparitive review of Orthodoxy and Generous Orthodoxy, I was even toying with the possibility of writing something book-length in which statements by Mclaren were rebutted by Chesterton but I probably won't get around to it.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Senor Wildboar,

I think you are really going to enjoy this link to "John Bunyan Online Library"

Could you post the link to the translational work you are doing on the Scripture again please ?

The Scriptures certainly have guided me in writing. I am currently busy with my fourth attempt. After 2 plus years of research (I have lost count) ... I think I am finally learning that researching topically from the writings of others is good, but what is better is studying the Scriptures from Genesis to Revelation and letting the Lord purify my quill...(living sacrifice)

I do not know if you are familiar with the writing (not books) of Adrian Snel. He wrote a song called, "Goodbye October"... in it are the words, that often have challenged me...

"Are we making time for Jesus and the things he longs to teach us, can he reach us, do we really want to know."

Adrian Snel, caught the ear of Lady Diana, who regularly attended his concerts... link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since I am not a subscriber to this board I cannot get to thread which I originally posted my translation. So I will post it again. This is also mildly revised. I decided to follow an earlier canonical order so the books are in a bit different order from the previous and there are some other mild changes as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I work for a publisher and one of the items that we have is a database of EVERY book published in the 18th Century. I was going through it the other day looking for some items to study and found almost 85 entries of books by Jonathan Edwards. Many of them were several hundred pages. I haven't begun reading them as of yet, but I would be happy to email copies to anyone who is interested.

PM me, and I will send the books in PDF format. I would be happy to pull anything else that anyone may be interested in as well. Just let me know.

By the way, this is completely legal. I am not stealing from work or anything. This is all public domain material as it's copyright has long since expired.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anthony, thanks for letting us know this, I will keep this post handy for future reference for my "book ordering"

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Wildboar. Your work is excellent. Keep it up. I will continue to pray that the work goes unhindered and blessed by the Great Shepard. Amen.