Pristine Grace

Thread: Hypothetical question about Polygamy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hypothetical question about Polygamy

There have been many stories in the news recently about mormon polygamists because of the child molester Warren Jeffs (or whatever his name is). It's led me to study a bit on the practice just so I am prepared if it should come up in discussion.

So, here is my hypothetical. If, by the Grace of God, one of these polygamist males are drawn to the Lord by the Holy Spirit, what is he to do with his wives and children?? Normally, these men have several wives, and a crazy amount of kids. If, a polygamist receives the Lord, how is he to live as it has to do with his multiple wives and children? Is he to give them up? Choose 1 wife? What about the others? How about the children in that situation?

Again, this is a hypothetical, but what would you say is the biblical response of a polygamist who is led to the Lord? What is he to do with the family situation?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Hypothetical question about Polygamy

This is a good question. I also think there are muslims in several countries that would face the same dilema with their "harems". I personally havnt heard of any families here is my "mormon" neck of the country that have faced this situation, but I'm sure there are at least a few. I will do some asking around with my many mormon friends and relatives and see if from their perspective, any familes have been torn apart over some member converting to another "religion", but this is a great practical question I will ponder some today myself as I'm sure many 1st century jews had to deal with this issue too. (others too)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

I did not participate in a thread on Polygamy that we had here before--simply because I do not believe it is a major issue that those whom the Lord has caused to focus on the gospel need to confront today. It is sort of like confronting "The DaVinci Code." True believers in the gospel KNOW the proper interpretation of these issues by sound reasoning of the Spirit in deciding the implications of the person and work of Jesus Christ. Nonetheless, I will respond briefly this one time.

If, by the Grace of God, one of these polygamist males are drawn to the Lord by the Holy Spirit, what is he to do with his wives and children??

That was an issue faced in New Testament times when converts sometimes had multiple wives. Paul is clear on what such men were to do: they were to remain in the situation that God called them in (1 Cor. 7:24). In other words, they were to keep their wives and children and take care of them. Such men were not allowed to be leaders in the EKKLESIA because of their other responsibilities.

Normally, these men have several wives, and a crazy amount of kids. If, a polygamist receives the Lord, how is he to live as it has to do with his multiple wives and children? Is he to give them up? Choose 1 wife? What about the others? How about the children in that situation?

We do not live in a situation today like Paul addressed in biblical times. Men who live like this today are defiantly going against the implications of the gospel that have become clear over the centuries. My own judgment is that such men are responsible to economically care for the wives and children (until the wives find other responsible husbands or employment to take care of their own kids). But no justification can be made today for continuing to live in polygamy when the wisdom of the centuries has defeated it in all of society. The man must choose 1 wife since his past involvement with several wives was against the authority of the just laws of the state to which he is obligated in Christ to submit.

The implications of Paul's teaching in Eph. 5:25-33 should be clear: He is talking there about ONE wife! Christ's love for his bride is exclusive and special.

None of the NT commands regarding marriage (whether by Christ or the apostles) even hint that more than one wife is involved. So I'm done!
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Their situation certainly excludes them from the position as elder but I would part ways with much of my reformed heritage on this issue (although Peter Martyr Virmigli would agree with me) and say that he still has an obligation to uphold the marriage bonds that he has involved himself in. His situation certainly distorts the picture of Christ and the church which our marriages are supposed to portray but I believe to dissolve those unions would lead to greater sin.
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Revisiting an old question?

I think my position is well known.

Hugh McBryde
    "Every word of God is tested; He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him. Do not add to His words Or He will reprove you, and you will be proved a liar."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Revisiting an old question?

Quote Originally Posted by Prakk
    I think my position is well known.

Hugh McBryde
    Not by me brother, I hadnt thought to look for a thread of discussions on this topic before, where is it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Spud!

Whammer, I used to live in Nampa Idaho. Just thought I'd mention that. There is an archived thread on the topic, the majority of my posts in this forum are in that thread.

Hugh
    "Every word of God is tested; He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him. Do not add to His words Or He will reprove you, and you will be proved a liar."