Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2

Thread: 501-C3 Organizations

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: 501-C3 Organizations

Quote Originally Posted by OneoftheChosen
    Federal Law (currently) is such that churches do not have to register for 501(c)(3) status to have contributions be tax deductible. Furthermore, if you are a church, you do not have to file the annual informational return to the IRS (the 990 series of returns). The problem arises when you get something like a religious ministry that doesn't provide a church, but provides tracts, a website like this one, etc. At that point, you must file the 501(c)(3) application to obtain deductibility and then file the annual return. Only certain organizations other than churches are exempt from filing the annual return (such as schools and a few other exceptions)
    Hey Mark!
    Glad to read from you!

That is exactly what I meant in my first post in this thread!

All of you: Mark knows! He is an attorney in the field of 501(c)(3).

What amazes me is that in the past Jesus called government agents to be preachers; now the government is calling preachers to be their agents. (Matthews come to mind).

Here is what I am talking about:

Ministries, missonary organizations and church organizations that fall into the desire of "men's" recognition and file for such a recognition end up being indirectly "government controlled" organizations because "the one who has the authority to recognize the other as something, obviously is himself recognized as the ruler by the one seeking from them such a recognition". When a church organization implores the IRS to recognized itself as such, they are in and of itself, recognizing the IRS as the ruler; the government as the ruler!

God is the ruler!

Milt
    Grace Ambassador
    A pitiful servant of God; a pitbull guardian of the message of Grace

My pledge to other members:
    A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger. Prov 15:1
    A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver - Prov. 25:11

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

Let me re-iterate what I stated in my beginning post of this thread: I do not believe that it is wrong TODAY to be a participant in one or more of these organizations--church or otherwise. I AM wondering if we should consider the fact that IN THE FUTURE the membership and givers to these organizations might come under the scrutiny and persecution of the government--once certain forces in the world openly hostile to the gospel gain power. The bottom line is this: when we see signs that such events are happening we should disassociate ourselves from government sanctioned church in every way we can.
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree dad, also, with the marriage thing...
    I agree with batman on this one, if it be that two Christians decide to be married under the authority of Christ, then let it be. You wouldn't get any of the tax benefits though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dans la Musique
    I agree dad, also, with the marriage thing...
    I agree with batman on this one, if it be that two Christians decide to be married under the authority of Christ, then let it be. You wouldn't get any of the tax benefits though.
    Batman!!!???

That's Highlyfavored - Crusader for Truth
    Isaiah 45:7, (KJV), I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are a few other issues that need to be considered in order to determine what the proper recommendation for a church will be.

Most of the federal law that applies to 501(c)(3) organizations depends upon federal case law in order to set the definitions of important terms such as "religious" or "church". There were many cases between the IRS and the Scientologists dealing with the definition of church and the deductability/non-profit status of their organization. Currently, the definition is fairly broad, but that could be changed by any future case. Additionally, it is often easier for the law to change on a prospective basis rather than a retrospective basis (although it isn't impossible for the government to adopt a retroactive law).

This is why I often tell Churches that they do not have to apply for the exemption now, but that the law could change in the future. If it does change in the future, then there is always a chance that the new laws could be retroactive, but that isn't often the case. If they do not apply for the exemption at all, then they will ultimately be under the new laws when they are enacted (whether that is good or bad).

It is quite interesting though how much information that you have to give to the government in order to get the exemption. They haven't yet started requiring lists of members, etc., but they do require all kinds of financial information.

Mark
    It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery. Galatians 5:1 NASB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2