Pristine Grace

Thread: Dispensationalists and the Resurrection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dispensationalists and the Resurrection

According to Dispensationalists the Church cannot claim a promise which God made to Israel. This must imply that the Church cannot share in the promise of the resurrection for Paul said that this promise was made to Israel. "To this promise [i.e., the resurrection] our twelve tribes, earnestly serving God night and day, hope to attain. For this hope's sake, King Agrippa, I am accused by the Jews. Why should it be thought incredible by you that God raises the Dead?"
    Since the Church cannot claim a promise made to Israel, and the resurrection of the dead was the hope of Israel, the dispensationalists will have to abandon their presupposition or give up their hope in the resurrection.

thethinker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Dispensationalists and the Resurrection

thethinker,

I see. The way I understood one of their views is that, Israel had been put in abeyance till the millennium kingdom, when The Lord returns as its earthly King with the Church. So, that's Israel's hope, to see their kingdom restored by the King, and thereafter death comes resurrection. They see that Israel as the Bride of Christ, not the Church. The Church, being the Body of Christ...
    These writers used Scriptures brilliantly the same way as other scholars or theologians did. But don't really think that any human writer could nail down 100% over eschatological issues, so far, I am quite confused.

Joining this forum has given me a desire to re-examine my belief system a bit. It's been good for me.
    I appreciate your help and input, and welcome more.
    momoz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Momoz,
    I was taught dispensationalism at the Moody Bible Institute. It was drummed into us that the church cannot claim so much as one promise made to Israel. If this is correct then there can be no resurrection for church saints as I have previously indicated. Here is another thing about the so called kingdom promise. God said to Abraham "I am thy exceeding and great reward." There are two points which come from God's statement to Abraham: 1) God himself is Israel's inheritance and not an earthly kingdom and 2) Paul said to church saints that "we also are indeed heirs of God" Romans 8). The hope of all God's people is to see God as He is and to be made like Him (IJohn 3). Who would want anything else?
    Now dispensationalists say that the church cannot claim a promise which God made to Israel. But I have shown that the church participates in the resurrection and will also inherit God Himself. So there are two promises God made to Israel which the church may claim also and there are many more.

thethinker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ephesians 5:24-32 Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything. 25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, 26 that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, 27 that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish. 28 So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church. 30 For we are members of His body, of His flesh and of His bones. 31 "For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh." 32 This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the church.
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wildboar
    Ephesians 5:24-32 Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything. 25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, 26 that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, 27 that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish. 28 So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church. 30 For we are members of His body, of His flesh and of His bones. 31 "For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh." 32 This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the church.
    Wildboar,
    Thanks for adding the Ephesians passage to the discussion. I didn't answer Momoz on her point about Israel being Christ's Bride because I wanted to research that first. My understanding is that the dispensationalists admit that the Church is Christ's bride while Israel is the "apple of My [God's] eye".

thethinker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thethinker,
    it depends, the thing is, there are many different kinds of dispensationalists, that's why they can make my head spin if I let them.
    One of those thoughts is this:

Israel = Bride of Christ ( In the new Kingdom, the new Jerusalem (supported by a scripture from Rev) , when Christ becomes the earthly millennial king)
    Church = Body of Christ ( Strictly just that, we are part of HIM, PERIOD, and will join Him in the future reign)

I hate to get everybody confused, and I'm not sure if this will be all worth it. I am now anxiously waiting for the books I ordered last night (authored by 2 Amil writers) pertaining to Revelation.
    Only after I compare both schools of thoughts, I hope I can discern better.
    Thank you thethinker for your input for sure. Momoz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you want to look at something while you are waiting Momoz, you might try this article that gives a brief explanation of the four major eschatological viewpoints and then Scripturally defends the historic Amillenialist view:
    http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/es...llennial.shtml

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

rlhuckle,

I just skimmed thru T.Warren's article, it makes a lot of sense. No doubt, there are things that didn't sit right in my mind for a long time in regards to eschatology. Finally, I'm getting a good flavor of the Amil position and agreeing to it with great ease.

I need to re-study Rev. with the Amil. commentators when I get those books, I hope.
    Happy me, thx, Momoz