Pristine Grace

Thread: Eternal Security & Matt 18:21-35

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Eternal Security & Matt 18:21-35

I have been confronted with the parable found in Matt 18:21-35 as it relates to eternal security (perseverance of the saints).

Here's what I need help with, in v. 23 lays out the fact that what follows can be compared to the kingdom of heaven. Jesus goes on to tell how the King forgives the servant for all his debt when the servant asks forgiveness (I'm taking this to symbolize us being the servants). Yet, later, the king reinstitutes the debt and orders the servant jailed and tortured. If the King (symbolizing God?) has absolved the servant of his debt (sin), then how is the servant (us) later held accountable and punished for it?

Please don't misunderstand me on this. I am not trying to justify, excuse, or lessen the sin of a Christian, I just feel that the way I am reading this directly contradicts all the Scripture that supports the eternal security of a believer. In this parable, you don't only have a profession of faith, but Scripture actually says the debt was forgiven (v. 27) by the king. What are we to make of this?

Any help is appreciated.
    -Anthony

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Re: Eternal Security & Matt 18:21-35

Quote Originally Posted by ashamoun View Post
    I have been confronted with the parable found in Matt 18:21-35 as it relates to eternal security (perseverance of the saints).

Here's what I need help with, in v. 23 lays out the fact that what follows can be compared to the kingdom of heaven. Jesus goes on to tell how the King forgives the servant for all his debt when the servant asks forgiveness (I'm taking this to symbolize us being the servants). Yet, later, the king reinstitutes the debt and orders the servant jailed and tortured. If the King (symbolizing God?) has absolved the servant of his debt (sin), then how is the servant (us) later held accountable and punished for it?

Please don't misunderstand me on this. I am not trying to justify, excuse, or lessen the sin of a Christian, I just feel that the way I am reading this directly contradicts all the Scripture that supports the eternal security of a believer. In this parable, you don't only have a profession of faith, but Scripture actually says the debt was forgiven (v. 27) by the king. What are we to make of this?

Any help is appreciated.
    -Anthony
    This is speaking simply of treating others the way you want to be treated, illustrated in parable form to convey this truth.

Those that are reprobate are not forgiven nor are those that are elect able to lose what Christ has given and done to them:
    Romans 6:1-6
    John 17
    Isaiah 45:7, (KJV), I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ashamoun,

This parable must be read in light of the situation that led up to it. This happens after the Transfiguration and (also found in Mark 9) the discussion between the disciples in Matt 18:1 about who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. So first, it is only discussing those that are in the kingdom of heaven (not about getting in or remaining in).

Second, remember what they thought greatness was all about: power and riches. So, Jesus takes the rest of the chapter to discuss those things that show kingdom greatness: to be like a child: simple, faithful; persistent restoration of weaker brothers and sisters in Christ; and forgiveness to those that sin against you.

The parable should be interpreted in the light of that fact. That those who do not cultivate a forgiving heart will be the least in the kingdom not taken out of it

James

Just Grace

God does not make a mistake in calling us to Glory, He calls and to Glory we will go, otherwise God is not Soveriegn. We, as the sorry lot as we are feel the back of His hand from time to time. Some more than others, but Glory is for sure.

Some people think they are Christians, but at the end, Christ will say, 'I never knew you'

Praise God.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Highlyfavored View Post
    This is speaking simply of treating others the way you want to be treated, illustrated in parable form to convey this truth.

Those that are reprobate are not forgiven nor are those that are elect able to lose what Christ has given and done to them:
    Romans 6:1-6
    John 17

This is not treating others the way we want to be treated, it is treatin gothers the way WE HAVE been treated by Christ. We have been completely forgiven. The debt is wiped clean. And yet we want our due from other brothers? This brings temperal judgement of God on His children. These were not reprobates, the servants were believers.
    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
    GALATIANS 5:22

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Herein lies the problem though. If we say the servant in the parable is of the elect, then how can God punish him until he repays God his debt (sin). We can never repay the debt owed for our sin.

If we say the servant is of the reprobate, then why does the King (God) forgive him in the first place??

Let me make clear that I fully believe in the perseverance of the saints, because it is clearly taught by a mulititude of scripture. My problem, or question, is limited to this one parable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashamoun View Post
    Herein lies the problem though. If we say the servant in the parable is of the elect, then how can God punish him until he repays God his debt (sin). We can never repay the debt owed for our sin.

If we say the servant is of the reprobate, then why does the King (God) forgive him in the first place??

Let me make clear that I fully believe in the perseverance of the saints, because it is clearly taught by a mulititude of scripture. My problem, or question, is limited to this one parable.

Scripture would call this chastisement. Look at the elect of God in the writ, they received temporal judgements all the time.

Christ spoke about this in Matt 6 also. Peter asked again in verse 21. The whole context is about forgiveness. God's economy of Law was set up to exact what was due ash. SO an unforgiving heart will bring the temperal wrath of God on His chosen. IF God determines to burn your barley fields to get your attention, so be it. These could not be reprobares because it says they were forgiven all. God cannot exact payemnt from Christ then exact the payment from HIs.
    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
    GALATIANS 5:22