Pristine Grace

Thread: 2 John

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

2 John

Wow I've been so amazed at what God has been doing in my life! I never read thru the Bible like this before, where I actually desire to keep reading and I'm excitied about His Word! Before I would read bits and pieces of the Bible, or try and read it straight thru and I never could do it. Now its just amazing! I hunger and thirst for it, it's really cool... and I know its not me that hungers and thirsts for it but God causing me to do that!!!

Anyways I had a question in 2 John . Here's the text:
    2 John 1:9-11
    9Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. 10If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not take him into your house or welcome him. 11Anyone who welcomes him shares in his wicked work.

Okay my question is does this literally mean that those who does not bring the teachings of God shouldn't enter your house? So those who profress to believe in God but really don't we shouldn't welcome? What does it mean by that we share in his wicked work if we do?

Also it talks about those who do not continue in the teaching of Christ doesn't have God. So is that like saying those who profress to know God yet then deny Him, and turn away from the gospel truth that they maybe were never saved and never really knew God but just said they did? But those whom God has called and chosen will continue to the end to profress the true teachings of Christ because God will cause them to walk in His truths right?

I hope this will spark a good discussion and that I'd get some insight into this passage and maybe others. I'm so grateful for this forum! Thanks alot and hope you have a great day! God bless!

Mary
    A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold. - Wisdom

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: 2 John

I think some try to apply this passage to broadly. Here's what it says in the larger context.

2 John 1:7-11 For many deceivers have gone out into the world who do not confess Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist. 8 Look to yourselves, that we do not lose those things we worked for, but that we may receive a full reward. 9 Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him; 11 for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds.

The passage is speaking about those in teaching positions who deny that Jesus Christ came in the flesh. You should not invite any teacher who denies that Jesus Christ came in the flesh into your house.
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wildboar View Post
    I think some try to apply this passage to broadly. Here's what it says in the larger context.

2 John 1:7-11 For many deceivers have gone out into the world who do not confess Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist. 8 Look to yourselves, that we do not lose those things we worked for, but that we may receive a full reward. 9 Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him; 11 for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds.

The passage is speaking about those in teaching positions who deny that Jesus Christ came in the flesh. You should not invite any teacher who denies that Jesus Christ came in the flesh into your house.
    What about just people in general. Let's say for instance I have family members who are not Christians. Should I have them over for dinner?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What about just people in general. Let's say for instance I have family members who are not Christians. Should I have them over for dinner?
    I think you should be careful to not let yourself get caught up in your sins and not to let God's name be blasphemed in your house, but I don't believe that this passage applies directly to them. The passage is speaking about those in the church. As mcoving's translation reads, verse 9 literally speaks about those who run ahead, the person is venturing beyond the established doctrine.
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine