Pristine Grace

Thread: Who seeks God? A little help here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Who seeks God? A little help here.

OK, a little help here on a supposed Biblical contradiction. How are these two verses not contradictory?

Rom 3:11 no one understands; no one seeks for God.

Heb 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.

Thank you,
    Anthony

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Who seeks God? A little help here.

Romans 3:11 is speaking of the natural man and the fact that he has no desire to serve God. Hebrews 11:6 is speaking of the fact that it is impossible to please God without faith. Both are addressing separate issues and illustrate the importance of reading verses in their context. The seeking in Hebrews 11:6 deals primarily with worship.

If you want the systematic theologians answer, it would be that Hebrews 11:6 is speaking of the fact that we cannot please God without faith. No unregenerate man has faith but regenerate men do have faith. Romans 3:11 is speaking of the unregenerate.
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I would suggest reading the context of what Paul was saying there, and then check the overall context of the message he was trying to communicate to the roman Jews to whom the letter was addressed.

Try not to "induce" your ideas into the text, rather "deduce" what the text is saying from the information you have.

I've separated the two groups of people being spoken of in the Psalm quoted by Paul in Romans 3. Read from Romans 1 up to 3 and see who Paul was speaking to, try to understand WHY he quoted this Psalm to them... What would have they understood it to mean at that timee in history?

Ps 14:1-7, (KJV)
    1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.2 The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God.3 They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one.4 Have all the workers of iniquity no knowledge? who eat up my people as they eat bread, and call not upon the LORD.5 There were they in great fear: for God is in the generation of the righteous.6 Ye have shamed the counsel of the poor, because the LORD is his refuge.7 Oh that the salvation of Israel were come out of Zion! when the LORD bringeth back the captivity of his people, Jacob shall rejoice, and Israel shall be glad.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ashamoun View Post
    OK, a little help here on a supposed Biblical contradiction. How are these two verses not contradictory?

Rom 3:11 no one understands; no one seeks for God.

Heb 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.

Thank you,
    Anthony
    A person might set off on a pilgrimage to find God, but it will normally be on his own terms. Meditation, studying, going to Church, walking the extra mile, the golden rule, but it will always be his agenda, the pathway he is taking to find God. Some even go as far to announce, 'I have found the Lord' and will even start a website or a new denomination etc, about how they found God. The emphasis will be on their journey. There are many such false prophets in the world today, of which Christ warned us.

There is a way which seems right unto man but the end thereof is death.

The way I understand it is like this:

The bridges that are built to God by man in their attempts at establishing some sort of connection, are good enough for a few kicks, but the minute God puts His big toe on them they shatter like brittle glass. In the end all those bridges were just men's striving say, 'I found God' or something along those lines.

The only bridge that is strong enough to hold God, is God. This is what Jesus Christ is all about. He is the way the truth and the life, and no one comes to the Father, unless the Father makes it so. Jesus Christ is that bridge that can take the full weight of God coming to us.

Excuse my primitive theology, but I am only a layman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by katoikei View Post
    ... and no one comes to the Father, unless the Father makes it so.
    And that's our answer.

Who seeks God? Nobody.

Plain and simple.

It is the inward-working of the Holy Spirit that draws men to God. It's His works, based on His mercy, for His Glory alone. The 'basics' of soteriology.

Here's some passages to get our minds around. If they generate any questions, then feel free to ask;

Jn 6:65, (KJV), And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

Jn 17:9-10, (KJV) I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine. And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them.

Acts 17:22-28, (KJV) Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious. For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.

God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands; Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things; And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;

That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us: For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Nice to see you back Scott.
    Isaiah 45:7, (KJV), I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.