Pristine Grace
Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Thread: 5solas.org Bible Links

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

5solas.org Bible Links

As you may or not be aware, a long time ago (2001), I coded my own bible software for the web and it can be found at http://bible.5solas.org. It hasn't been used all that much, but this is going to change starting today.

Those of you familiar with the current system know that if you type in a bible verse, the text is parsed and automatic links to online bible software (bible gateway) is created. This has worked well for a while, but I've grown tired of using the bible gateway software and have wanted to move it over to my bible software on 5solas.org. Well that is now working as I had to recode my bible software to accept a different form of input.

Since I just finished coding the system today, I'm sure a few bugs will pop up. Please post any bugs that you find on this thread.

Here is are some examples of bible links:

Ephesians 2:8-9
    Isa 45:7
    Gen 1:1-2
    Matthew 5
    Rev 1:1 (GILL)
    Gal 5, YLT
    Jud 1:1 asv

I hope everyone enjoys the system. It should make it REALLY easy to look up bible passages quickly when somebody types it in. It should also reduce the need for us to quote scripture verbatim when posting a quick link should do.

Thanks,
    Brandan
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Re: 5solas.org Bible Links

Oh, you can use these translations : KJV, YLT, ASV, and GILL.
    This is my signature.

Just Grace

Cool, I use e-sword in Windows or Bible Desktop in Linux but I tend to quote from memory and modernise it a bit, not a good thing but it's a habit of mine.

I like the parts of Scripture where people say, 'has someone not said' lol!

I think as long as we are not promoting a doctrinal error in what we say it's ok...but others are quite strict and frown upon things like that.

David

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

I've extended this functionality throughout the 5solas.org library and the pristinegrace.org library.
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

I was wondering... I already have the NKJV, the NIV, and the NAS already programmed into the bible software, however they simple are not accessible due to copyright restrictions. I could see if I could get permission to use them in the bible software - does anyone here see a benefit to using them?

Brandan
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

OK, the transition is complete - I've added this feature to the 5solas.org blog.
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Gill View Post
    I was wondering... I already have the NKJV, the NIV, and the NAS already programmed into the bible software, however they simple are not accessible due to copyright restrictions. I could see if I could get permission to use them in the bible software - does anyone here see a benefit to using them?

Brandan
    Well I personally use the NASB. I dont know if others do, I'd like it if that was available. But if its too much of a hassle that is okay. I just heard that the NASB is a closer translation because the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered but I'm not sure of that, and the history of all that Quran community and the library they had. Plus for me personally I cant understand KJV.. and it reminds me of the time I was in the Episcipal church with all their ugly traditions and rituals. Those cults! haha just kidding pry not that harsh.
    A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold. - Wisdom

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MCoving View Post
    Well I personally use the NASB. I dont know if others do, I'd like it if that was available. But if its too much of a hassle that is okay. I just heard that the NASB is a closer translation because the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered but I'm not sure of that, and the history of all that Quran community and the library they had. Plus for me personally I cant understand KJV.. and it reminds me of the time I was in the Episcipal church with all their ugly traditions and rituals. Those cults! haha just kidding pry not that harsh.
    That is what the NASB is that Brandan has Mary.

John
    The grace which saves us is eternal to us, as is also our election in Christ. Those who are in Christ have everlasting life by that virtue alone and it is also plain Scriptural teaching that when God loves, He loves with an everlasting love and therefore draws His own to Him. (Jeremiah 31:3). Now there can be no eternal saving grace, no eternal election in Christ, no experience of God's eternal love where a soul is not justified. These aspects belong together as integral parts." …John Gill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MCoving View Post
    Hi Mary, I sent off for approval to use the NASB in our bible software.
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I use this search engine religously.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Hey, you fixed the Genesis 1:1 bug.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ugly_Gaunt_Cow View Post
    Hey, you fixed the Genesis 1:1 bug.
    Yep - thanks for pointing that one out to me - I think LAST year haha
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

OK, added a new feature today. On the bible software page, just type in the passage you want to lookup or continue using the existing interface. I don't mean to brag, but I honestly think this is the best web interface out of all the bible applications on the web today.
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Tonight i wrote a program that added the MODERN KING JAMES version into the bible software. This is just as good if not BETTER than the New King James Version in my opinion. I have freedom to use it also, so it's a win-win situation. - Brandan
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used the MKJV a few years ago but found lots and lots of typos. What is it that you like about it more than the NKJV?
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wildboar View Post
    I used the MKJV a few years ago but found lots and lots of typos. What is it that you like about it more than the NKJV?
    From http://www.sovgracepub.com/bibles/mkjv.htm

Basically, the MKJV is the kjv with some modernization.

The Modern King James Version of the Bible is an update of the Authorized King James Version in today's English. Besides the language update, it has these differences:

Many older editions of the KJV have a center column in which they suggest a better translation, many of these suggestions have now been put into the text.

The names of animals of the Bible have been corrected according to scientific studies today;

The titles to the Psalms and names of places have been translated to their actual meaning rather than their original name, such as Hor-hagidgad = The Hole in the Cleft.

Those places which are incorrect have been changed (e.g. 'Passover' instead of 'Easter'; 'Joshua' instead of 'Jesus' in Hebrews 4; 'expanse' is replaced by 'firmament'; 'eunuch' for 'officer'; 'Let it not Be!' for 'God forbid'; 'came into being' for 'made' in John 1:3);

places where the King James Version paraphrases have been replaced by a direct translation from the original;

the Greek names for Old Testament characters are given the same name as in the King James Version;

money, titles, weights, etc. are translated as they are in the original languages (e.g. denarius instead of penny).
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Changes as of today:

New American Standard Bible (NASB/NAS) is now available and is the default version.

Copyright notices are displayed if any output contains MKJV or NASB.

When peforming a lookup in any translation or doing a translation comparison, a handy link to John Gill's commentary for that passage is generated.
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BK:

Right, I am familiar with it, I was just wondering if there was anything in particular that you thought the MKJV did better than the NKJV.
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

The Literal Translation of the Bible (LITV) has been added. It is VERY good.
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Today I added a welcome message to the application.... You can see it by going to http://bible.5solas.org
    This is my signature.

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast