Thread: "Out of Adams loins"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

"Out of Adams loins"

Here's something that was touched on in another thread;

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Every human after the creation of Adam except for One came out of Adams loins.
    While this interpretation of the linage of man's origins is popular, I have a problem with proclaiming it as a proper biblical perspective.

I would like submit for consideration, the account of Cain and Able, specifically Cains' punishment for slaying his brother;

[Gen 4:8-16, (KJV)] "...And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him. And the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper? And he said, What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground.

And now art thou cursed from the earth, which hath opened her mouth to receive thy brother's blood from thy hand; When thou tillest the ground, it shall not henceforth yield unto thee her strength; a fugitive and a vagabond shalt thou be in the earth.

And Cain said unto the LORD, My punishment is greater than I can bear. Behold, thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth; and from thy face shall I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth; and it shall come to pass, that every one that findeth me shall slay me.

And the LORD said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the LORD set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him. And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden."

If the the physical origins of all men, by way of sexual-reproduction, as popular belief would have it, came directly from an unbroken succession by Adam and Eve, then where did the people who inhabited the lands of Cain's exile orginate from?

This is something I've been stuggling with for some time now, so if anyone can provide a proper biblical perspective to enlighten my understanding I would enjoy reading it.

Unitl then, I'm going to have to reject the idea that Adam and Eve spawned that much offspring well before reaching the end of Adam's life span of 930 years.

In Him,

Scott

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: "Out of Adams loins"

Quote Originally Posted by Ugly_Gaunt_Cow View Post
    If the the physical origins of all men, by way of sexual-reproduction, as popular belief would have it, came directly from an unbroken succession by Adam and Eve, then where did the people who inhabited the lands of Cain's exile orginate from?

Unitl then, I'm going to have to reject the idea that Adam and Eve spawned that much offspring well before reaching the end of Adam's life span of 930 years.

In Him,

Scott
    Clarence Darrow made this an infamous question in the scopes trial.

I am not a full proponent of "Answeres in Genesis" but they use solid scriptural references to answer this

http://www.answersingenesis.org/home...cains_wife.asp
    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
    GALATIANS 5:22

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts

I for one see no reason why all mankind cannot be descendents of Adam and Eve. Cain obviously married a distant relative - not a big deal for me.
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'm sure Cain didn't have a wife at this point.

What I'm trying to figure out who all these other people were that Cain was afraid of.

I've only ever heard that Cain and Able were the first born to Adam and Eve. I'm just trying to figure out where this idea comes from.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

Is it not logical to conclude that Cain was pondering the generations to come and that is what brought about his fear? Works for me.

God had said "be fruitful and multiply" so Cain knew that other descendents of Adam and Eve would be on the way. As to the identity of his wife, she had to be a sister or niece. Eve was the mother of all living so the first marriage of descendents had to be brother and sister. The later restrictions on this type of union did not apply in the beginning.
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert R. Higby View Post
    Is it not logical to conclude that Cain was pondering the generations to come and that is what brought about his fear? Works for me.
    This did cross my mind but only as a "perhaps". My main question is where did all the other people come from who inhabited the land of Nod at that time. I'm assuming Cain arrived in Nod alone then met his wife.

If Cain and Able were latter kin, then I can accept the possibility of older siblings gone out before them. But I don't find anything to suggest this to be true; anymore than to suggest that Cain and Able were the first born.

Perhaps Scripture doesn't have anything to say either way on this matter?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts

The only other person first mentioned as dwelling in the land of Nod with Cain was his wife. It is very possible that he had already married a sister before killing Abel (or did shortly afterward). The Bible may have specifically recorded only the births of the first 3 male children (Cain, Abel, Seth) without mentioning contemporary births of females to Adam and Eve.
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ugly_Gaunt_Cow View Post
    This did cross my mind but only as a "perhaps". My main question is where did all the other people come from who inhabited the land of Nod at that time. I'm assuming Cain arrived in Nod alone then met his wife.

If Cain and Able were latter kin, then I can accept the possibility of older siblings gone out before them. But I don't find anything to suggest this to be true; anymore than to suggest that Cain and Able were the first born.

Perhaps Scripture doesn't have anything to say either way on this matter?
    Did you read the article scott? The point they make about the word city is correct. It could have been 50 people
    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
    GALATIANS 5:22