Pristine Grace
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2

Thread: a can of worms

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Get ready for this, Disciple, I was going to post those same verses from the sower and the seed. Though we may not agree on the rest...we shall see. Heh heh.

What has been stated so far -

1. Satan is the god of this world
    2. Satan can only do what he is permitted to do
    3. Sometimes God allows Satan to work to achieve His purposes (though most assuredly unbeknownst to Lucifer, and not as co-workers), i.e. the death of Christ, the numbering of the Israelites by King David, Job, etc.

What I think is good to note here is that Satan takes away the seed from their hearts, "lest they should believe and be saved." When I see the elect being spoken of in these forums, it seems that it is believed that before the foundations, God elected some to be enlightened, thereby by non-election electing the others for destruction. No problem there, until you get to the part where He did this arbitrarily. What seems to be missed here is that the elect were not just elected at random or by some arbitrary method. Election was based on God's foreknowledge.

Romans 8:29 - "For whom He foreknew..."
    1 Peter 1:2 - "...elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father..."

The truth is that God desires all men to be saved (1 Tim 2:4), and His gift of justification is extended to all man (Romans 5:18). Now, I pause to concede that of his own, man will never seek God, but it is the Spirit that draws a man to the Father. Man, however makes the choice to believe or not, and Satan is right on the scene to do all he can to keep man from choosing to believe and be saved. Choosing is not works, but an action taken in response to Gods call. This is the reason that when the seed of the word of God falls on a hardened heart, Satan is there to quickly take it away, "lest they believe and be saved."

Well, that's a nutshell.

Strength & Honor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

evil

Some say evil doesn't properly exist, but is the absence of good. I forgot where I heard that. So I guess to turn from God is to be in darkness, falsehood, death, hatred, destruction, etc, but it 'exists' in 'void,' or devoid of God. This is the condition of the world since the Fall, apart from God's grace entering in, and it is the condition of the devil and the demons since their 'fall from grace.'

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by countrymouse
    Since I read the Bible from a covenant perspective, I would say that "this world" in that reference may mean the world of apostate Judaism, the earthly Jerusalem that had rejected her Messiah having failed to correctly interpret the signs of the times.
    Just wondering here - If Paul was addressing the Corinthians, does it make sense that he would be telling them what is going on in the world of apostate judaism? No. There really is a point at which we must set aside the colored glasses and accept the words as they are. Paul is referring to this world as a whole, in which satan has been allowed much latitude to blind and deceive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Let's look at the verse in question, along with verse 3:

2 Corinthians 4:3-4
    3 And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing,
    4 in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

"In whose case" refers to "those who are perishing." Taking audience relevance into consideration, Paul was speaking of people throughout the Roman empire ("the habitable world") living at that time.

My conclusion regarding this particular verse (and a correction to my previous post) is that Paul was not speaking only of the Jewish world, but of the whole Roman empire, the civilized world at that time. Both Caligula and Nero, as emporers, embodied evil and symbolized "the god of this world." The pagan idolatry of the empire itself is evidence enough.

We still have to recognize that Satan's authority was derivative, granted to him by the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, in order to accomplish God's own righteous purposes.

Grace and Peace to you,
    cm
    "In essentials, unity. In non-essentials, liberty. In all things, charity." - St. Augustine of Hippo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2