Pristine Grace
Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Thread: 1 John- Confess Sins

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

1 John- Confess Sins

Okay so I dont get this.. why is it that most churches speak heavily about this, and even the Presyberterian churches have a time of confession of sins before God. This verse always seems to be qouted:
    1 Jn 1:9, (NASB), If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

What I dont get is haven't our sins already been forgiven on the cross? So why is that one must confess their sins. Its like its saying if we do this then He'll do this. Or least that is how it is portrayed in the churches these days. They see it as a continual thing each day to do, so that we will be cleansed?
    I just dont get how this continual confessing of sins, and God being just to forgive us and cleanse us lines up with Jesus accomplishing everything on the cross. That He died for us and took care of our sins then. And plus it also says in the Bible blessed is the man whom the Lord does not impute iniquity.
    I understand the benefit of confessing our sins but it doesn't imply that if we dont daily that He wont forgive us right? Yet.. its almost like that is a threat the church leads to.

Anyone else get this?

Thanks,
    Mary
    A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold. - Wisdom

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: 1 John- Confess Sins

Quote Originally Posted by MCoving View Post
    Okay so I dont get this.. why is it that most churches speak heavily about this, and even the Presyberterian churches have a time of confession of sins before God. This verse always seems to be qouted:
    1 Jn 1:9, (NASB), If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

What I dont get is haven't our sins already been forgiven on the cross? So why is that one must confess their sins. Its like its saying if we do this then He'll do this. Or least that is how it is portrayed in the churches these days. They see it as a continual thing each day to do, so that we will be cleansed?
    I just dont get how this continual confessing of sins, and God being just to forgive us and cleanse us lines up with Jesus accomplishing everything on the cross. That He died for us and took care of our sins then. And plus it also says in the Bible blessed is the man whom the Lord does not impute iniquity.
    I understand the benefit of confessing our sins but it doesn't imply that if we dont daily that He wont forgive us right? Yet.. its almost like that is a threat the church leads to.

Anyone else get this?

Thanks,
    Mary

It is exactly right Mary. Unless you fall into the heresy of Bob George who says we dont have to confess or ask for forgivenenss. This is the eternal aspect of the cross. Christ is seated and makes constant intercession for His people who confess their sins. Christ's role of Priest is forever. Glory be to God!!!!!. Those whom He justified at the cross receive this benefit in their lifetime. Unconfessed sin, no repentance is a terrible option to consider.
    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
    GALATIANS 5:22

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lionovjudah View Post
    It is exactly right Mary. Unless you fall into the heresy of Bob George who says we dont have to confess or ask for forgivenenss. This is the eternal aspect of the cross. Christ is seated and makes constant intercession for His people who confess their sins. Christ's role of Priest is forever. Glory be to God!!!!!. Those whom He justified at the cross receive this benefit in their lifetime. Unconfessed sin, no repentance is a terrible option to consider.
    So is this a one time confession of sins, or ongoing?? Do you believe that one must always confess the sins they know? And if they dont are they still justified? What about those sins that are not confessed either because one forgot to openly confess them in prayer or just didn't know about them? So is it that our justification rests upon us confessing all our sins?

I'm still lost...

Mary
    A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold. - Wisdom

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So is this a one time confession of sins, or ongoing?? Do you believe that one must always confess the sins they know? And if they dont are they still justified? What about those sins that are not confessed either because one forgot to openly confess them in prayer or just didn't know about them? So is it that our justification rests upon us confessing all our sins?

I'm still lost...

Mary
    It is an ongoing confession of sin. John is very clear here and in no way attempting to confuse the reader. Our justification does not rest upon this though. Mary, everything we do is tainted by sin. Even God ordained 'works' are tainted with sin. The once and for all sacrafice of Christ is eternal as well as in time as I mentioned. Before during and after all. The application of His blood is constant for the believers lifetime or else we would have to resacrifice Him again and again. Our standing with God rests upon this. We will be chastised if we do nto confess. If we say we have no sin we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us as John states in the same book. I do not fully understand this either.
    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Anyone else get this?

Thanks,
    Mary
    The confession being spoken of here is an "acknowledgement", or "agreement" of our sinful nature.

homologeō
    hom-ol-og-eh'-o
    From a compound of the base of G3674 and G3056; to assent, that is, covenant, acknowledge: - con- (pro-) fess, confession is made, give thanks, promise.

Why we do it I can only assume. So, for now, I'll lean towards the idea that it may possibly be seen as a form of humility before and Infinite and Holy God.

From the context of the chapter, it appears John is speaking about "pre-conversion". He does go on to say;

(1Jn 1:10) If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

His "Word" teaches that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. TO deny this fact is to deny the very teachings of God Himself, and thus, making Him appear to be a liar in the sight of all men. T

The "word" being spoken of here here is "logos"

logos
    log'-os
    From G3004; something said (including the thought); by implication a topic (subject of discourse), also reasoning (the mental faculty) or motive; by extension a computation; specifically (with the article in John) the Divine Expression (that is, Christ): - account, cause, communication, X concerning, doctrine, fame, X have to do, intent, matter, mouth, preaching, question, reason, + reckon, remove, say (-ing), shew, X speaker, speech, talk, thing, + none of these things move me, tidings, treatise, utterance, word, work.

- The is the same logos (divinely expressed wisdom / logic) that became flesh and dwelt amoung us.

[john 5:33] "... Ye sent unto John, and he bare witness unto the truth.But I receive not testimony from man: but these things I say, that ye might be saved. He was a burning and a shining light: and ye were willing for a season to rejoice in his light.

But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me.

And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape. And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ugly_Gaunt_Cow View Post

From the context of the chapter, it appears John is speaking about "pre-conversion". He does go on to say;
    I have seen this taken to the farther point of John is speaking to unbelievers. This I doubt heavily. It is clear John is writing to believers. Professed believers.

20But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and all of you know the truth.[d] 21I do not write to you because you do not know the truth, but because you do know it and because no lie comes from the truth.

13I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.

Forgiveness is a perpetual event. There is no remission without the shedding of blood.

• With His own blood He entered the Most Holy Place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption.
    • Now, once at the end of the ages, He has appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself.
    • By that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
    • For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It is clear John is writing to believers. Professed believers. .
    Of course. It's clear from the initial verses of the chapter. No argument here.

However...

It is typical of John to draw out conclusions in his writings by making comparisons by way of contrast. This can be seen in verses 1:6-9 for example, and is indicative of his literary style.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

The confession being spoken of here is an "acknowledgement", or "agreement" of our sinful nature.

homologeō
    hom-ol-og-eh'-o
    From a compound of the base of G3674 and G3056; to assent, that is, covenant, acknowledge: - con- (pro-) fess, confession is made, give thanks, promise.

Why we do it I can only assume. So, for now, I'll lean towards the idea that it may possibly be seen as a form of humility before and Infinite and Holy God.

(1Jn 1:10) If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

His "Word" teaches that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. TO deny this fact is to deny the very teachings of God Himself, and thus, making Him appear to be a liar in the sight of all men. T

The "word" being spoken of here here is "logos"

logos
    log'-os
    From G3004; something said (including the thought); by implication a topic (subject of discourse), also reasoning (the mental faculty) or motive; by extension a computation; specifically (with the article in John) the Divine Expression (that is, Christ): - account, cause, communication, X concerning, doctrine, fame, X have to do, intent, matter, mouth, preaching, question, reason, + reckon, remove, say (-ing), shew, X speaker, speech, talk, thing, + none of these things move me, tidings, treatise, utterance, word, work.

- The is the same logos (divinely expressed wisdom / logic) that became flesh and dwelt amoung us.

[john 5:33] "... Ye sent unto John, and he bare witness unto the truth.But I receive not testimony from man: but these things I say, that ye might be saved. He was a burning and a shining light: and ye were willing for a season to rejoice in his light.

But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me.

And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape. And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not."
    Well if its more of an agreement of our sinful nature, that was still sin and our sorrowful, repented of those sins that makes sense. But I dont know if the church necessarily does this in the best way, or says the best things during this time. Especially when I was in the Presyberterian church.. it made it seem like confessions of sins had to be done every Sunday.. seemed more as a ritual.. and that if one didn't do that then their sins wouldn't be forgiven.. which obviously doesn't line up with the Gospel.

I guess sometimes I dont get why the church does what it does. Why is confession of sins a congregational thing and not private? There just seems to be alot of emphasis on this.. not that we are without sin or that we shouldn't do it, just I dont think its portrayed right in most churches.

Thanks again Scott for your insight there!! And Joe. That kinda helps me some.

Mary

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Of course. It's clear from the initial verses of the chapter. No argument here.

However...

It is typical of John to draw out conclusions in his writings by making comparisons by way of contrast. This can be seen in verses 1:6-9 for example, and is indicative of his literary style.
    Yes it is. John writes both in a prophetic and apocalyptic style. Afflicting the comfortable and comforting the afflicted. And that is what he is exactly doing in this epistle. I for one will not go the way of Bob George and others who say we dont have to confess our sins anymore. Everytime I enter the presence of God i have to confess!!!! I will also not analyze this thought because of my judicial justification status.

Repentance/confession go hand and hand for ones lifetime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Yes it is. John writes both in a prophetic and apocalyptic style. Afflicting the comfortable and comforting the afflicted. And that is what he is exactly doing in this epistle. I for one will not go the way of Bob George and others who say we dont have to confess our sins anymore. Everytime I enter the presence of God i have to confess!!!! I will also not analyze this thought because of my judicial justification status.

Repentance/confession go hand and hand for ones lifetime.
    Yes, an ongoing change of one's mind, being continually "renewed", goes hand in hand with "acknowledging" one's wretchedness before a Just and Holy God.

I think Mary's contention stands in disagreement with the popular notion, taught from MANY a pulpit, that, "if it's not confessed - it's not forgiven". Which underminds the sacred Truth of Gospel atonement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I for one will not go the way of Bob George and others who say we dont have to confess our sins anymore.
    Joe, we don't have to confess - Bob George is correct.

However, why wouldn't a person communicate to God about every aspect of their life with God? It's not like there are any secrets from him.

The thing I don't understand is that because you don't like the way Bob George affirms certain things, your answer is to go and insert a law.

Do you think God cares about that?

Or do you have to confess that one also?
    Isaiah 45:7, (KJV), I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Why is confession of sins a congregational thing and not private?
    Sin is foolish and destructive, and the doctrine given by the Apostles is clear concerning unruly brethern. We don't have to walk around shouting through a bull-horn our transgressions, or the transgressions of others, but when it effects the rest of the body we are commanded to deal with it in an appropriate manner according to the examples given in scripture.

On the other hand, removing the plank from our own eye before attemping to remove the specks out of the eyes of others must takes presedence.

But, first and foremost, assembly MUST focus on the adoration of the Word of God, to the praise of His Glory by which we were saved. If churchmen want to beat people over the head with guilt, then they're missing the point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Highlyfavored View Post

However, why wouldn't a person communicate to God about every aspect of their life with God? It's not like there are any secrets from him.
    Thanks Greg! That was a point I was trying to figure out and place. I was trying to figure out what the Truth was in this.. Also Scott your right many churches put importance upon it, even if they dont believe it.. make it appear in their wording to mean that if one doesn't confess their sins, then they will not be forgiven. But that is surely NOT the case, our justification and forgiveness doesn't rest upon our confessions of our sins, but on Jesus blood alone.

And I do believe that confessing our sins will happen, its just like fruits of the spirit will happen in a believer. But its the emphasis that churches put on it. I brought it up because the Presyberterian church I was going to does this as a congregation.. and it could be taken wrong. And then the Pastor at my new church Glencullen talked about this too. Emphasizing the won't be forgiven part. And that verse is fine, but hello also say that Jesus died for our sins and we are forgiven, and justified.. that it doesn't rest upon our confessions. That is never said.. they leave that out and make it appear as if it does.. to get you to confess in church I guess... whole works mentality maybe.

So anyways.. thanks Greg! I definitely agree. Though don't know who that Bob George guy is..

Mary

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The thing I don't understand is that because you don't like the way Bob George affirms certain things, your answer is to go and insert a law.

Do you think God cares about that?

Or do you have to confess that one also?
    I am not quite following your thinking here Gregg. Besides the fact you are terribly mistaken to align yourself with the teachings of Bob George on this subject, I do not understand where I am becoming legalistic. The fact remains you have to deal with the scripture Mary presented. You cannot just throw it out and avoid it. The Holy Spirit inspired the apostle to write it for some reason. How do you understand it then?

Confession is not about a judicial standing, but a parental/relational standing.
    Psalm 32: "When I kept silent about my sin, my body wasted away through my groaning all day long. For day and night Your hand was heavy upon me; my vitality was drained away as with the fever heat of summer…I acknowledged my sin to You, and my iniquity I did not hide; I said, "I will confess my sin to the Lord"; and You forgave the guilt of my sin" (vv. 4-5).

Johnny Mac says it well:

Instead, keep confessing your sins; seek God’s forgiveness and cleansing daily. As the verse says, He is faithful to Himself to forgive your sins and He is just, having already made full atonement for your sins through the sacrifice of His beloved Son. When you confess your sins, you are restored by a loving Father who delights to shower the brokenhearted and repentant with His mercy and compassion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Greg! That was a point I was trying to figure out and place. I was trying to figure out what the Truth was in this..
    So what "truth' have you found Mary? That one does not have to confess sins? I sure hope you are not going in that direction. Where does one draw the line? Are we not told to forgive others? Help those in need? Love God? Repent? Pray? Or are all these actions of Christ imputed to us also? Since He did them,[except repent] we dont have to? This has nothing to do with a works gospel. It has everything to do with a free grace Gospel and our response to our loving Father. Notice when Christ gave the "Lord's Prayer" He said "OUR" father. This again is the communal aspect of all believers. One has to wrest this verse in 1 John only to their destruction if they conclude we do not need to confess when we come into God's presence.

As David also said "Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation" Unconfessed sin will bring no joy of His salvation!!!!! If you or anyone believes it does, you are sadly mistaken.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

So what "truth' have you found Mary? That one does not have to confess sins? I sure hope you are not going in that direction. Where does one draw the line? Are we not told to forgive others? Help those in need? Love God? Repent? Pray? Or are all these actions of Christ imputed to us also? Since He did them,[except repent] we dont have to? This has nothing to do with a works gospel. It has everything to do with a free grace Gospel and our response to our loving Father. Notice when Christ gave the "Lord's Prayer" He said "OUR" father. This again is the communal aspect of all believers. One has to wrest this verse in 1 John only to their destruction if they conclude we do not need to confess when we come into God's presence.

As David also said "Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation" Unconfessed sin will bring no joy of His salvation!!!!! If you or anyone believes it does, you are sadly mistaken.
    And as usual you dont listen to others on the forum that well, you are quick to argue when there isn't any reason to argue. Greg said why wouldn't anyone tell Christ everything in their life? Or another way of saying that why wouldn't anyone not confess?

As you said it is relational you are right, I think that is what Greg was getting at. Yet it is not mandated, in a (I'll take your own word) judicial way. It is not mandated or commanded by God for us to confess our sins SO THAT we will be forgiven. So actually Greg is biblical in saying that we dont HAVE to confess just as much as you are biblical in saying its not about a judicial standing. Each of you I believe is saying the same thing.

Unless you are saying it is mandated and commanded of us to confess our sins or else? Or else we wont be forgiven?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Act 5:31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Act 11:18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

Repentance is a gift that the Holy Spirit effectively works in the life of each of the elect. The elect one WILL ALWAYS continually practice John's teaching as a normal part of the Christian life.

To imply that John means "you better do this or you won't get that" is merely another manifestation of legalistic humanism.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

9To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everybody else, Jesus told this parable: 10"Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11The Pharisee stood up and prayed about[a] himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.' 13"But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'
    14"I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

Id much rather believe scripture. And align myself with the publican

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

9To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everybody else, Jesus told this parable: 10"Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11The Pharisee stood up and prayed about[a] himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.' 13"But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'
    14"I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

Id much rather believe scripture. And align myself with the publican
    Those to whom God has granted repentance do. Don't you see the pride in saying "I'd rather align myself with the publican" instead of thanking God for giving you a repentant heart--actually all things?

1Co 4:7 For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[quote=MCoving] And as usual you dont listen to others on the forum that well, you are quick to argue when there isn't any reason to argue. Greg said why wouldn't anyone tell Christ everything in their life? Or another way of saying that why wouldn't anyone not confess?[/qoute]

I am not arguing. Is telling the same as repentance? God knows anyway, but telling him with an uncontrite heart is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by mary
    As you said it is relational you are right, I think that is what Greg was getting at. Yet it is not mandated, in a (I'll take your own word) judicial way. It is not mandated or commanded by God for us to confess our sins SO THAT we will be forgiven. So actually Greg is biblical in saying that we dont HAVE to confess just as much as you are biblical in saying its not about a judicial standing. Each of you I believe is saying the same thing.

Unless you are saying it is mandated and commanded of us to confess our sins or else? Or else we wont be forgiven?
    gregg said i was creating a law. I dont know what that is.. He may explain further if he likes.

Perhaps all true believers will confess becasue of the grace they have received. Those who do not confess have never been justified or forgiven. There is definately a connection between chastisement from God as recorded in Hebrews. Then the person is thrown out, and perhaps have his life taken from him. Will a justified believer be saved with unconfessed sin? Saved through fire as paul says.

This one always gave me trouble also.

14For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast