Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"faith in Christ" vs "faith of Christ"

Galatians 2:16:
    Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. KJV

Know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not be observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified. NIV

There are several other verses that translate differently from the KJV in this way. Like Romans 3:22, Galatians 2:20, Galatians 3:22, Ephesians 3:11-12, Phillipians 3:9 and etc.

So my question is, "What is 'the faith of Jesus Christ'? What does this mean?" The NIV and other translations make it sound like our faith is a condition for our salvation. I guess I'm so accustomed to using other translations that the KJV translation is hard to understand on this point.

Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: "faith in Christ" vs "faith of Christ"

So my question is, "What is 'the faith of Jesus Christ'? What does this mean?"

Could it mean the 'faithfulness' of Jesus Christ? Because of his faithfulness to do all the things necessary to secure our salvation, we have believed in him.

Carol
    Run John Run! The Law commands,
    But gives me neither feet, nor hands,
    Far grander news the gospel brings,
    It bids me fly, and gives me wings.
    ----John Bunyan

http://members.cox.net/ckizzz/index

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CarolK View Post
    So my question is, \"What is 'the faith of Jesus Christ'? What does this mean?\"

Could it mean the 'faithfulness' of Jesus Christ? Because of his faithfulness to do all the things necessary to secure our salvation, we have believed in him.

Carol
    Carol,
    You are correct in your statement. The word faith has a much richer definition than most give it. Romans 3 gives us one of the main ways Paul uses this greek word.

Rom 3:3
    3 For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect? (KJV)

God remains faithful even when Israel was unfaithful (in unbelief).

If you want to get deep into some of the debate over this word I would suggest a book by Richard B. Hays. It is not as simple as some suggest on this site. Our justification relies soley on the faith/faithfulness of Jesus Christ. His obedience even to death is our justification. Not our believing.

The Faith of Jesus Christ: The Narrative Substructure of Galatians 3:1-4:11 by Richard B., Hays

It is a pretty deep book, but if you stick with it you can get alot out of it.

John
    The grace which saves us is eternal to us, as is also our election in Christ. Those who are in Christ have everlasting life by that virtue alone and it is also plain Scriptural teaching that when God loves, He loves with an everlasting love and therefore draws His own to Him. (Jeremiah 31:3). Now there can be no eternal saving grace, no eternal election in Christ, no experience of God's eternal love where a soul is not justified. These aspects belong together as integral parts." …John Gill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spatula View Post
    Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. KJV

Know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not be observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified. NIV

There are several other verses that translate differently from the KJV in this way. Like Romans 3:22, Galatians 2:20, Galatians 3:22, Ephesians 3:11-12, Phillipians 3:9 and etc.

So my question is, "What is 'the faith of Jesus Christ'? What does this mean?" The NIV and other translations make it sound like our faith is a condition for our salvation. I guess I'm so accustomed to using other translations that the KJV translation is hard to understand on this point.

Thanks.
    Hi! I think this has been talked about before on here, but just my brief thoughts when I read that passage. First I hear the writer talking about the faith of Christ, which to me means His loyalty or promise to fulfill His Fathers plan of redemption. He was loyal to God, He never sinned or strayed from the objective. His life was perfect, and He died and rose again for His sheep. So when it says faith of Jesus I really just think of His life on earth and how He accomplished what He was sent here to do. And in the verse it is contrasting how it is not ourselves or the works of the law which justifies but Christ, and Him alone and His actions.

Then it talks about faith in Christ. So first its what Jesus did and accomplished. Then it talks about His sheep believing in Him. Faith in something just means that one has confidence or trust in another. So faith in Christ is saying one believes in Christ and His accomplished work. So it is not observing the law which saves us but having faith in Christ, believing in Christ. However, it is NOT our own faith apart from God.. but the faith which God gives us.. the opening our eyes to see and ears to hear the Truth. It is the simple mental assent to the Truth which is Faith.. because it is not works says so here! It is merely faith in Christ which justifies. Our faith is not a condition upon salvation... The writer does a good job here I believe because first speaks of Christs life, what He did for us.. the faith of Christ. Then speaks about us believing in Christ, and His accomplished work. We know from the rest of Gods Word that our believing in Christ, our faith in Christ, does not come from us but from God.. its a gift from God. Its not that its a condition, for all Gods children will have faith in Christ at some point in their lives.. but even before conversion His children were saved so we know that having faith is not a condition of being saved.

Hope that makes sense! haha Thanks for the question.. its a nice one.

Mary
    A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold. - Wisdom

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Thanks.
    It's the faith the elect share in, there is no other faith. The distinction in the text is really no distintion at all. It's all from God, and it's all a gift.

1 Corinthians 4:7 For who makes you to differ from another ? And what do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it , why do you boast as if you had not received it?
    Isaiah 45:7, (KJV), I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Highlyfavored View Post
    It's the faith the elect share in, there is no other faith. The distinction in the text is really no distintion at all. It's all from God, and it's all a gift.
    The NIV says, " Know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not be observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified."

So then, according to this version, we are justified by faith in Christ. It sounds like faith is a condition for salvation here. Did the NIV translators get it wrong?

Carol wrote:
    "Could it mean the 'faithfulness' of Jesus Christ? Because of his faithfulness to do all the things necessary to secure our salvation, we have believed in him."

Equivalently, you could say we are justified by the gospel of Jesus Christ then. But I'm not sure how you would justify this interpretation of Galations 2:16.

Thanks again.

-Spatula

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Romans 3:22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: KJV
    also the LITV says: "faith of Jesus"

The righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference. NIV

This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile, TNIV

Now God says he will accept and acquit us – declare us "not guilty" – if we trust Jesus Christ to take away our sins. And we all can be saved in this same way, by coming to Christ, no matter who we are or what we have been like. LB (Living bible/dead book)

Yes, God’s righteousness through the faith in Jesus Christ, for all those having faith. For there is no distinction. NWT (watchtower bible/new world translation)

Since it is the same justice of God that comes through faith to everyone, Jew and pagan alike who believes in Jesus Christ. JB (Jerusalem bible)

Galatians 2:16

Know that a person is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified. TNIV

And yet we Jewish Christians know very well that we cannot become right with God by obeying our Jewish laws, but only by faith in Jesus Christ to take away our sins. And so we too have trusted Jesus Christ, that we might be accepted by God because of faith — and not because we obeyed the Jewish laws. For no one will ever be saved by obeying them. LB

Knowing as we do that a man is declared righteous, not due to works of law, but only through faith toward Christ Jesus, even we have put out faith in Christ Jesus, that we may be declared righteous due to faith toward toward Christ, and not due to works of the law, because due to works of law no flesh will be declared righteous. NWT

We acknowledge that what makes a man righteous is not obedience to the Law, but faith in Jesus Christ. We had to become believers in Christ Jesus no less than you had, and now we hold that faith in Christ rather than fidelity to the Law is what justifies us, and that no one can be justified by keeping the Law. JB

Galatians 2:20

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. KJV

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. NIV

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. TNIV

I have been crucified with Christ: and I myself no longer live, but Christ lives in me. And the real life I now have within this body is a result of my trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. LB

I am impaled along with Christ. It is no longer I that live, but it is Christ that is living in union with me. Indeed the life that I now live in the flesh I live by the faith that is toward the Son of God who loved me and handed himself over for me. NWT

I have been crucified with Christ, and I live now not with my own life but with the life of Christ who lives in me. The life I now live in this body I live in faith: faith in the Son of God who loved me and who sacrificed himself for my sake. JB

Galatians 3:22

But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe. KJV

But the scripture declares that the whole world is a prisoner of sin so that what was promised, being given through faith in Jesus Christ, might be given to those who believe. NIV

But Scripture has locked up everything under the control of sin, so that what was promised, being given through faith in Jesus Christ, might be given to those who believe. TNIV

For the Scriptures insist we are all its prisoners. The only way out is through faith in Jesus Christ; the way of escape is open to all who believe him. LB

But the Scripture delivered up all things together to the custody of sin, that the promise resulting from faith toward Jesus Christ might be given to those exercising faith. NWT

Scripture makes no exceptions when it says that sin is master everywhere. In this way the promise can only be given through faith in Jesus Christ and can only be given to those who have this faith. JB

Ephesians 3:11-12

According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord: In whom we have boldness and access with confidence by the faith of him. KJV

According to his eternal purpose which he accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord. In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence. NIV

According to his eternal purpose which he accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord. In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence. TNIV

In just the way he had always planned it through Jesus Christ our Lord. Now we can come fearlessly right into God’s presence, assured of his glad welcome when we come with Christ and trust in him. LB

According to the eternal purpose that he formed in connection with the Christ, Jesus our Lord, by means of whom we have this freeness of speech and an approach with confidence through our faith in him. NWT

Exactly according to the plan which he had had from all eternity in Christ Jesus our Lord. This is why we are bold enough to approach God in complete confidence, through our faith in him. JB

Philippians 3:9

And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: KJV

And be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ – the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. NIV

And be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ – the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. TNIV And become one with him, no longer counting on being saved by being good enough or by obeying God’s laws, but by trusting Christ to save me; for God’s way of making us right with himself depends on faith – counting on Christ alone. LB

And be found in union with him, having, not my own righteousness, which results from law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness that issues from God on the basis of faith. NWT

I am no longer trying for perfection by my own efforts, the perfection that comes from the Law, but I want only the perfection that comes through faith in Christ, and is from God and based on faith. JB

Colossians 2:12

Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead. KJV

Having been buried with him in baptism and raised with him through your faith in the power of God, who raised him from the dead. NIV Having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through your faith in the working of God, who raised him from the dead. TNIV

For in baptism you see how our old, evil nature died with him and was buried with him; and then you came up out of death with him into a new life because you trusted the Word of the mighty God who raised Christ from the dead. LB

For you were buried with him in his baptism, and by relationship with him you were also raised up together through your faith in the operation of God, who raised him up from the dead. NWT

You have been buried with him, when you were baptized; and by baptism, too, you have been raised up with him through your belief in the power of God who raised him from the dead. JB

James 2:1

My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with respect of persons. KJV

My brothers, as believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ, don’t show favoritism. NIV

My brothers and sisters, believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ must not show favoritism. TNIV

Dear brothers, how can you claim that you belong to the Lord Jesus Christ the Lord of glory, if you show favoritism to rich people and look down on poor people? LB

My brothers, you are not holding the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ our glory, with acts of favoritism are you? NWT My brothers, do not try to combine faith in Jesus Christ, our glorified Lord, with the making of distinctions between classes of people. JB

Revelation 14:12

Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus. KJV

This calls for patient endurance on the part of the saints who obey God’s commandments and remain faithful to Jesus. NIV

This calls for patient endurance on the part of the people of God who keep his commandments and remain faithful to Jesus. TNIV

Let this encourage God’s people to endure patiently every trial and persecution, for they are his saints who remain firm to the end in obedience to his commands and trust in Jesus. LB

Here is where it means endurance for the holy ones those who observe the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus. NWT

This is why there must be constancy in the saints who keep the commandments of God and faith in Jesus. JB
    Psalm 66:16
    Come and hear, all ye that fear God, and I will declare what he hath done for my soul.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts

We have been over this in the forum again and again. The reason that some translators go with 'faith in Christ' for passages such as Gal. 2:16 and Rom. 3:22 is because they are convinced that the tense is a subjective genitive as opposed to an objective genitive. The 'faith of Christ' translators believe that an objective genitive is the proper translation.

The difference is this:

Subjective Genitive: "Faith sovereignly COMING FROM or GIVEN BY Jesus Christ according to His purposes."

Objective Genitive: "Jesus Christ's own PERSONAL faith that none of his redeemed subjects participate in."

The whole of scriptural testimony favors the view that this should be translated as a subjective genitive. It is the faith coming from, owned by, and given by Jesus Christ-but resident in our own souls. Christ was faithful in all things in His life on earth--but He was under no oblibation to turn away from His sins (which did not exist) and believe in the righteousness of another (who?) to merit His salvation (which He did not need).
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert R. Higby View Post
    We have been over this in the forum again and again. The reason that some translators go with 'faith in Christ' for passages such as Gal. 2:16 and Rom. 3:22 is because they are convinced that the tense is a subjective genitive as opposed to an objective genitive. The 'faith of Christ' translators believe that an objective genitive is the proper translation.

The difference is this:

Subjective Genitive: "Faith sovereignly COMING FROM or GIVEN BY Jesus Christ according to His purposes."

Objective Genitive: "Jesus Christ's own PERSONAL faith that none of his redeemed subjects participate in."

The whole of scriptural testimony favors the view that this should be translated as a subjective genitive. It is the faith coming from, owned by, and given by Jesus Christ-but resident in our own souls. Christ was faithful in all things in His life on earth--but He was under no oblibation to turn away from His sins (which did not exist) and believe in the righteousness of another (who?) to merit His salvation (which He did not need).
    So when it says faith of Christ in some translations you believe that it should really just be saying faith in Christ? That there are not two distinctions? Just making sure I'm clear on that one.. and yeah I did read all those verses and how they are translated differently. I find it interesting and confusing sometimes how each version of the Bible is translated a bit differently, seems it can sometimes confuse people on the meaning of Gods Word. How do you then decipher what is the correct form of use when it comes to verses like this? I assume knowing greek or hebrew helps...

Thanks for your response Bob!!

Mary
    A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold. - Wisdom

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The difference is this:

I think some on this forum think this is some new debate in Christianity. It is not. I believe it even goes further back than what this article says.

Bob, I believe you have your post incorrect on the difference between Objective and subjective genitive.

Dr. A. T. Robertson in "Word Pictures in the New Testament" (1930-33) insists that the Apostle used the "objective genitive", meaning 'faith in Jesus Christ', and not the "subjective genitive", meaning "faith of Jesus Christ".

"But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:"
    - Romans 3.21,22

In many modern versions "by faith of Jesus Christ" is changed to "through faith in Jesus Christ", and the question arises whether the earlier translators were mistaken, or whether both renderings are admissible. The Greek reads DIA PISTEOS IESOU CHRISTOU, literally - through (by means of, by) faith of Jesus Christ - the names having the genitive ending. For more than two hundred years it has been debated among Biblical scholars whether the genitive in English rightly conveys the meaning of the Greek.

The Rev. John Owen, who translated and edited Calvin's Commentary on Romans for the Calvin Translation Society in 1849, wrote: "The words 'by or through the faith of Jesus Christ' mean not the faith which is His, but the faith of which He is the object. They ought to be rendered 'through faith in Jesus Christ'. The genitive case often has this meaning: 'Have faith in (of) God', Mk. 11.22; ‘I live by the faith of the Son of God', should be in our language, 'I live by faith in the Son of God'. This genitive case of the object is an Hebraism, and is of frequent occurrence".

Dr. James MacKnight, who published his new translation and commentary on the Epistles in 1795 after thirty years of labour, thought otherwise: "I therefore think the original clause does not signify through faith in Jesus Christ', which is sometimes the meaning of the expression, but 'through faith of Jesus Christ', as it is rightly rendered in our English Bible; understanding thereby, 'the faith which Jesus Christ hath enjoined', agreeably to the use of the genitive of the agent. For that this is the true meaning of the expression is plain from Philippians 3. 9, where 'the righteousness which is through the faith of Christ' is termed 'the righteousness which is of God by faith'. In like manner Romans 4.16 'That which is of the faith of Abraham' does not mean faith in Abraham, but faith like that which Abraham exercised. In Matthew 6.33, Romans 1.17 The righteousness of God is not the righteousness which God possesses, but which He requires....See Gal. 2.16, where PISTEOS IESOU, as in this verse, signifies 'the faith enjoined by Jesus'."

Heading up to Main today so will write more in next few days.

John
    The grace which saves us is eternal to us, as is also our election in Christ. Those who are in Christ have everlasting life by that virtue alone and it is also plain Scriptural teaching that when God loves, He loves with an everlasting love and therefore draws His own to Him. (Jeremiah 31:3). Now there can be no eternal saving grace, no eternal election in Christ, no experience of God's eternal love where a soul is not justified. These aspects belong together as integral parts." …John Gill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

The difference is this:

Okay so I was reading back on what Bob wrote.. and John I do have another question I just thought of. If you think these verses are talking about faith of Christ. What about our personal faith? Do you believe we have a personal faith? a faith sovereignly coming from or given by Jesus Christ?

Also, if we didn't have faith how can someone be certain they are justified by Christ? Is not having faith in Christ proof that He died on the cross for our sins? So I still think its perfectly ok to say "nevetheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus". I know its not a condition for salvation.. its a result of our salvation.

I also agree with how Bob said this.. I was trying to say this in my last posts, about works vrs faith. If you read the context Paul is talking about our personal faith... about how someone knows they are justified, they are God's children. It's not by our works but by our faith, which comes from God.

He wrote this:
    The whole context of these passages has to do with how a person is justified experientially or personally (faith as opposed to works/performance), so the "faith of Christ" contextual meaning here is "faith owned by Christ, created by Him, and exercised in and through us" --the subjective genitive.
    Anyways.. so what if I agree with Bob? Its true its how I see it written in Gods Word. Plus he just says it better and clearer than I do. Anyways.. I think these have all been discused well now. Thanks! Take care

Mary

ps: sorry just easier to add here than other places.. Also why would it matter if Christ had faith in Himself? Does it really matter that Christ has faith in His atoning of sins on the cross? I think its more important that we are given faith from God in what Christ did.. right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The NIV says, " Know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not be observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified."

So then, according to this version, we are justified by faith in Christ. It sounds like faith is a condition for salvation here. Did the NIV translators get it wrong?

Carol wrote:
    "Could it mean the 'faithfulness' of Jesus Christ? Because of his faithfulness to do all the things necessary to secure our salvation, we have believed in him."

Equivalently, you could say we are justified by the gospel of Jesus Christ then. But I'm not sure how you would justify this interpretation of Galations 2:16.

Thanks again.

-Spatula

Don't you think it would be kind of redundent to say: " we are justified by faith in (believing) Jesus Christ, even we have believed.......

John

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NET Bible

3:22 namely, the righteousness of God through the faithfulness of Jesus Christ28 for all who believe. For there is no distinction,

28 tn Or “faith in Christ.” A decision is difficult here. Though traditionally translated “faith in Jesus Christ,” an increasing number of NT scholars are arguing that πίστιςΧριστοῦ (pisti" Cristou) and similar phrases in Paul (here and in v. 26; Gal 2:16, 20; 3:22; Eph 3:12; Phil 3:9) involve a subjective genitive and mean “Christ’s faith” or “Christ’s faithfulness” (cf., e.g., G. Howard, “The ‘Faith of Christ’,” ExpTim 85 [1974]: 212-15; R. B. Hays, The Faith of Jesus Christ [SBLDS]; Morna D. Hooker, “ΠίστιςΧριστοῦ,” NTS 35 [1989]: 321-42). Noteworthy among the arguments for the subjective genitive view is that when πίστις takes a personal genitive it is almost never an objective genitive (cf. Matt 9:2, 22, 29; Mark 2:5; 5:34; 10:52; Luke 5:20; 7:50; 8:25, 48; 17:19; 18:42; 22:32; Rom 1:8; 12; 3:3; 4:5, 12, 16; 1 Cor 2:5; 15:14, 17; 2 Cor 10:15; Phil 2:17; Col 1:4; 2:5; 1 Thess 1:8; 3:2, 5, 10; 2 Thess 1:3; Titus 1:1; Phlm 6; 1 Pet 1:9, 21; 2 Pet 1:5). On the other hand, the objective genitive view has its adherents: A. Hultgren, “The Pistis Christou Formulations in Paul,” NovT 22 (1980): 248-63; J. D. G. Dunn, “Once More, ΠΙΣΤΙΣΧΡΙΣΤΟΥ,” SBL Seminar Papers, 1991, 730-44. Most commentaries on Romans and Galatians usually side with the objective view.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmgipson View Post
    NET Bible

3:22 namely, the righteousness of God through the faithfulness of Jesus Christ28 for all who believe. For there is no distinction,

28 tn Or “faith in Christ.” A decision is difficult here. Though traditionally translated “faith in Jesus Christ,” an increasing number of NT scholars are arguing that πίστιςΧριστοῦ (pisti" Cristou) and similar phrases in Paul (here and in v. 26; Gal 2:16, 20; 3:22; Eph 3:12; Phil 3:9) involve a subjective genitive and mean “Christ’s faith” or “Christ’s faithfulness” (cf., e.g., G. Howard, “The ‘Faith of Christ’,” ExpTim 85 [1974]: 212-15; R. B. Hays, The Faith of Jesus Christ [SBLDS]; Morna D. Hooker, “ΠίστιςΧριστοῦ,” NTS 35 [1989]: 321-42). Noteworthy among the arguments for the subjective genitive view is that when πίστις takes a personal genitive it is almost never an objective genitive (cf. Matt 9:2, 22, 29; Mark 2:5; 5:34; 10:52; Luke 5:20; 7:50; 8:25, 48; 17:19; 18:42; 22:32; Rom 1:8; 12; 3:3; 4:5, 12, 16; 1 Cor 2:5; 15:14, 17; 2 Cor 10:15; Phil 2:17; Col 1:4; 2:5; 1 Thess 1:8; 3:2, 5, 10; 2 Thess 1:3; Titus 1:1; Phlm 6; 1 Pet 1:9, 21; 2 Pet 1:5). On the other hand, the objective genitive view has its adherents: A. Hultgren, “The Pistis Christou Formulations in Paul,” NovT 22 (1980): 248-63; J. D. G. Dunn, “Once More, ΠΙΣΤΙΣΧΡΙΣΤΟΥ,” SBL Seminar Papers, 1991, 730-44. Most commentaries on Romans and Galatians usually side with the objective view.
    Thanks, JM...

I subscribe primarily to the subjective genative based on various passages including, but not limited to;

"without faith it impossible to please God"
    "this is my Son in Whom I am well pleased"

etc.

However, I cannot omit various other instances in the Gospel accounts where Christ is quoted as saying "you're faith has saved you".

I think both positions are vaild because the Scriptures present them as such, but I also think latter stems from the former.

Just my two cents.

Scott.