Thread: A Book I Heartily Recommend

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

A Book I Heartily Recommend

A new book has been released from Inkwater Press:

https://www.inkwaterbooks.com/produc...e3c25a7ff16257

It is written by a close D.Th. friend of mine of over 21 years.

Ed has been a major catalyst in driving me to reason scripture ever since we met. We have the same perspective on almost everything. However, while Ed and I may not always agree on every fine point of interpretation, if you want a real different perspective on theology worth considering this is it!
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: A Book I Heartily Recommend

Hi Bob,
    I clicked on the link and got a certificate error warning me not to give the site any personal info (kinda hard to order stuff on the credit card when that happens). The book looks really interesting though--btw--how about "The Bookworm Magazine" also?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

I'm not sure what is going on with that; I can only suggest that you order it by mail with a check. Great book though!

The phone# for Inkwater Books is 503-968-6777 to find out the cost of shipping and handling.
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

More than likely the security certificate error will disappear after the weekend once someone is made aware and fixes it. I sent them an e-mail regarding it.

If you want the Book Worm send me a PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes it does look like an interesting book. I would like to see its table of contents..
    There is no such thing as preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what...is called Calvinism...It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

charles spurgeon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

I'll give you all of the chapter titles:

HOW HISTORY CHANGED THE BIBLE

I HATE PHILOSOPHY

PLATO IS THE SOURCE OF ARMINIAN THEOLOGY

ANSWERS TO C.C'S LETTER

PARKERISM

EIGHT PAGAN IDEAS FROM THE GREEK PHILOSOPHICAL SCHOOLS THAT
    WERE ESTABLISHED IN CHRISTENDOM BY 148 A.D. (HAIRESIS--L & S LEXICON)

WHAT IS TABULA RASA?

SUPRALAPSARIANISM TAKEN FROM J.S. NEWMAN'S BOOK "THE BAPTIST IN ALL AGES"

BEZA'S DOUBLE TALK ANSWERED

LAMBETH ARTICLES A.D. 1595

GOD'S SOVEREIGNTY IN SALVATION! THE ELECT KNOW THAT THEY HAVE BEEN APPREHENDED BY GOD

IS GOD AN ABSOLUTIST?

GOD IS GOOD!

THE BIGGEST ERROR

DID/DOES GOD KEEP HIS WORD?

WHO DOES GOD HATE?

MY OLD IDEAS ON SOVEREIGNTY DEC. 2000

SIN AND SOVEREIGNTY: A FALSE SOLUTION

THE TRI-UNITY OF DIVINITY AS REVEALED IN SCRIPTURES; GOD IS ONE WHICH MEANS UNITY, NOT SINGULARITY

MY JOURNEY TO THE REAL PREDESTINATION FROM MANY BAPTIST CULTS THROUGH WHICH I PASSED!

THEOLOGY IS GNOSTICISM, OR HOW THE HOLY SPIRIT HAS BEEN REPLACED

DR. B'S DOUBLEMIND

CRITIQUE OF THE WESTMINSTER CONFESSION

DID THE REFORMERS REALLY FOLLOW THE BIBLE AND NOT THE PAPACY?

COVENANT & DISPENSATIONAL CULTS

ST AUGUSTINE, THE REFORMERS FALSE GUIDE

HOW THE GOSPEL SAVES

QUOTES FROM K'S "PURITANISM"

CHARLES HADDON SPURGEON'S FLIP-FLOPS

THE REAL JESUS (JOHN 1:1-5)

JOHN'S ILLUMINATION/KNOWING/REVELATION

NORMAL HERESIES

WHY PEOPLE HATE CHRISTENDOM

TRANSFERRED RIGHTEOUSNESS: FROM MY TRANSLATION OF LEVITICUS 1:1-13 AND ISAIAH 53

LESSONS IN EVANGELISM

WHO BELIEVES: I CORINTHIANS 1:17-2:16

MAN'S PEACE WITH GOD

WHO DOES GOD LOVE? ROMANS 7:13-10:4

WHERE DOES THE BIBLE SAY . . . ?

HOW TO GET DRUNK

A SUMMARY OF PERSONAL GROWTH AND LEARNING AS TAUGHT BY THE HOLY SPIRIT

JOHN'S ETERNAL PLAN OF SALVATION

AFTERTHOUGHT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert R. Higby View Post
    I'll give you all of the chapter titles:

HOW HISTORY CHANGED THE BIBLE

I HATE PHILOSOPHY

PLATO IS THE SOURCE OF ARMINIAN THEOLOGY

ANSWERS TO C.C'S LETTER

PARKERISM

EIGHT PAGAN IDEAS FROM THE GREEK PHILOSOPHICAL SCHOOLS THAT
    WERE ESTABLISHED IN CHRISTENDOM BY 148 A.D. (HAIRESIS--L & S LEXICON)

WHAT IS TABULA RASA?

SUPRALAPSARIANISM TAKEN FROM J.S. NEWMAN'S BOOK "THE BAPTIST IN ALL AGES"

BEZA'S DOUBLE TALK ANSWERED

LAMBETH ARTICLES A.D. 1595

GOD'S SOVEREIGNTY IN SALVATION! THE ELECT KNOW THAT THEY HAVE BEEN APPREHENDED BY GOD

IS GOD AN ABSOLUTIST?

GOD IS GOOD!

THE BIGGEST ERROR

DID/DOES GOD KEEP HIS WORD?

WHO DOES GOD HATE?

MY OLD IDEAS ON SOVEREIGNTY DEC. 2000

SIN AND SOVEREIGNTY: A FALSE SOLUTION

THE TRI-UNITY OF DIVINITY AS REVEALED IN SCRIPTURES; GOD IS ONE WHICH MEANS UNITY, NOT SINGULARITY

MY JOURNEY TO THE REAL PREDESTINATION FROM MANY BAPTIST CULTS THROUGH WHICH I PASSED!

THEOLOGY IS GNOSTICISM, OR HOW THE HOLY SPIRIT HAS BEEN REPLACED

DR. B'S DOUBLEMIND

CRITIQUE OF THE WESTMINSTER CONFESSION

DID THE REFORMERS REALLY FOLLOW THE BIBLE AND NOT THE PAPACY?

COVENANT & DISPENSATIONAL CULTS

ST AUGUSTINE, THE REFORMERS FALSE GUIDE

HOW THE GOSPEL SAVES

QUOTES FROM K'S "PURITANISM"

CHARLES HADDON SPURGEON'S FLIP-FLOPS

THE REAL JESUS (JOHN 1:1-5)

JOHN'S ILLUMINATION/KNOWING/REVELATION

NORMAL HERESIES

WHY PEOPLE HATE CHRISTENDOM

TRANSFERRED RIGHTEOUSNESS: FROM MY TRANSLATION OF LEVITICUS 1:1-13 AND ISAIAH 53

LESSONS IN EVANGELISM

WHO BELIEVES: I CORINTHIANS 1:17-2:16

MAN'S PEACE WITH GOD

WHO DOES GOD LOVE? ROMANS 7:13-10:4

WHERE DOES THE BIBLE SAY . . . ?

HOW TO GET DRUNK

A SUMMARY OF PERSONAL GROWTH AND LEARNING AS TAUGHT BY THE HOLY SPIRIT

JOHN'S ETERNAL PLAN OF SALVATION

AFTERTHOUGHT
    excellent topics... I have to save up to get a copy..any discounted versions anywhere ?
    There is no such thing as preaching Christ and him crucified, unless you preach what...is called Calvinism...It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else."

charles spurgeon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

This looks really good Bob.
    Isaiah 45:7, (KJV), I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Finally, a useful book that will tell me how to get drunk.

My difficulties are with Christendumb, Evanjellidum, Baptists, and cults.
    I'm not a big fan of Baptist theology or cults either. But defintions are required to determine if I am opposed to Christendumb and Evanjellidum. Of course I'm opposed to the words as they stand but I don't know of anyone who supports Christendumb.

Many support Christendom but not Christendumb. If Christendom is the community of all Christians what Christian in their right mind would be opposed to it? If it is referring to countries in which most people are Christians, perhaps it could be argued that most the people in the countries are not in fact Christians but why be opposed to the idea of Christiandom because of that? If it is referring to some sort of theocracy then you move into a realm which can legitimately be debated but why not just be clearer and say you have a problem with theocracy? Even theocracy is a little muddy depending upon how the person is using it. I certainly would not oppose my leaders being guided by Scripture.

Nobody supports evangelidum either but many support evangelicalism and mean a whole lot of different things by it. If being an evangelical means that you focus on the Gospel--meaning Jesus Christ and Him crucified then that's a wonderful thing. If it means you focus on altar calls and other man-made inventions then that is a bad thing.
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rlhuckle View Post
    Hi Bob,
    I clicked on the link and got a certificate error warning me not to give the site any personal info (kinda hard to order stuff on the credit card when that happens). The book looks really interesting though--btw--how about "The Bookworm Magazine" also?
    Their security certificate expired thursday Feb 7th. My guess is they got busy and forgot to renew it last week. If it had been this way for a while I might question it. As it is right now, I wouldn't be concerned as to the security for an online purchase for this book.
    Isaiah 45:7, (KJV), I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

Charles: Finally, a useful book that will tell me how to get drunk.

Yup. Don't buy it for that reason, you'll be sorely disappointed you spent the money!

Dr. Vrell agrees with me on most things so that should give you an idea of what you are in for if you order the book.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I went and ordered this book from amazon with a couple other things to get the free shipping, so I should get to beging to read this soon
    Jn 14:23-24, (NASB)
    Jesus answered and said to him, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him. "He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine, BUT The Father's Who sent Me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

The TOC sounds wonderful! I ordered this book via Amazon.com (thanks Bryan), and I get two day shipping via my yearly amazon prime membership (which I recommend). - Brandan
    This is my signature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RH
    Dr. Vrell agrees with me on most things so that should give you an idea of what you are in for if you order the book.
    Words are not always defined on this forum, so should I assume that they are not defined in this book as well? Another problem I foresee in the book which I have not seen is the following:

chapter title: I HATE Philosophy
    Book description:
    Nothing is new! I was taught all this in my 7 theological schools and many seminars. I just kept the good stuff and got rid of the chaff, I Thess. 5:21. I had to learn what the Bible stated instead of what the philosopher-theologians babbled, Col. 2:8.
    Choose your subject from the Table of Contents. Many essays and studies come from my monthly magazine “The Book Worm.” There are many similar and repetitive ideas.
    I have no problems with Jesus and the Holy Bible. My difficulties are with Christendumb, Evanjellidum, Baptists, and cults. I trust these articles will help you think correctly on Scripture and that the Holy Spirit will open your ears, eyes, minds, and hearts, Luke 24:44-45.
    My biggest problems with books by people such as Rob Bell or Brian McLaren is that they really aren't about anything other than Rob Bell or Brian McLaren. I assume from the description that this is really a book about Vrell in which case it should be considered an autobiography rather than a theological book.
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wildboar View Post

My biggest problems with books by people such as Rob Bell or Brian McLaren is that they really aren't about anything other than Rob Bell or Brian McLaren. I assume from the description that this is really a book about Vrell in which case it should be considered an autobiography rather than a theological book.
    Well, then you would be wrong, you know what the say about assumptions!! You get the drift I am sure! By all means, don't order it!

I have been reading his monthly magazine for a time and listening to his tapes...oh yes, there is a little assembly in Longmont that he is a part of. He certainly has a different approach in his ways but actually for me is a breath of fresh air.

So no, the book isn't about him, it is about what the Holy Spirit has taught him from the Scriptures.

Eileen~
    "To those who have no works-phobia, I will state that you are not trembling before the gospel" Robert R. Higby

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Just ordered ours. Thanks Bob for the info.

Bob, can you tell us how to start receiving the BookWorm Magazine?

Thanks,
    Greg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

eilene says

So no, the book isn't about him, it is about what the Holy Spirit has taught him from the Scriptures.

Eileen~
    Thanks for the distinction eilene I was about to think that God did not use men anymore to shine forth his truth..Its not the man we want to read about but how God may have used this particular vessel to convey truth to His elect. God the Holy Spirit will guide His people into the truth of the material..

1 thess 5:

20Despise not prophesyings.

21Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. 22Abstain from all appearance of evil.

My experience has been god has used many men down through the centuries to convey truth..some men not even converted..like balaam maybe..

num 23:

5And the LORD put a word in Balaam's mouth, and said, Return unto Balak, and thus thou shalt speak.

19God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?

20Behold, I have received commandment to bless: and he hath blessed; and I cannot reverse it. 21He hath not beheld iniquity in Jacob, neither hath he seen perverseness in Israel: the LORD his God is with him, and the shout of a king is among them.

And so God in His sovereignty can and will continue to use men sanctified and unsanctified for the sake of his elect..

Happy reading if you buy the book I will try to purchase soon..

charles spurgeon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Bob and Greg,
    I'm getting it from Amazon as I write (I hate dial-up).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rlhuckle View Post
    Thanks Bob and Greg,
    I'm getting it from Amazon as I write (I hate dial-up).
    Roger, that sucks. I hate dail-up. I think dsl is to slow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Highlyfavored View Post
    Roger, that sucks. I hate dail-up. I think dsl is to slow.
    Yeah, I got spoiled with roadrunner broadband before I moved back out to the country. Funny, I don't remember it being this slow back up in Northern Michigan--and I had Verizon up there too....

Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast