Pristine Grace

Thread: Two questions in one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Two questions in one

Hello everyone:

I was doing some meditating on something this weekend that I thought I'd like to share. I trust I'm putting this in the right category.

1. Where, if anywhere, should a line be drawn for the Christian and movies/tv with respect to swearing, sexual scenes, and any other thing generally considered inappropriate? Does this change if it is only a husband and wife watching together?

2. The dress of a person in church. Does the pastor wearing a shirt and tie or suit on a sunday morning signify anything? Is it right or wrong to not dress that way? What about those attending?

I know they are two topics, but I only wanted to type one message

In Christ Alone because of Grace Alone,
    Michael

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hi Michael,

these are both good questions, something every believer deals with.

Almost every Christian I know, deals with the entertainment issue a little differently - I can only say what myself and my husband do.

At the place we rent videos, they have a ratings guide of sorts on the back of the video case. One of the categories is "objectionable words and phrases". Just to give you an idea of how prevelant this is, in movies, some of the biggest, hollywood blockbuster films, have 30, 50, even 80 "objectionable words and phrases". We only rent movies that have "few" or "less than 10". What we've found there is, what is considered by the unsaved world to be "no big deal" when it comes to the language - and also - that these ratings systems do NOT include taking the Lord's name in vain.

Most every time we do rent movies, we rent one just for the little kids, and at least one for just the older kids and ourselves. The difference in content is generally due to the maturity level of the movie, i.e., a psychological mystery, or a love story - something the little kids wouldn't understand or enjoy anyway.

Both my husband and I had a LARGE problem with cussing before we were saved, and we were both convicted of it's ugliness and uselessness - so we avoid as many situations as possible where cussing might be present - which includes renting videos.

As for your second question on dress - that's really a BIG ole can 'o worms for alot of Christians.

I believe the Bible is clear that we are to be modest in our dress/appearance. Whether in church or not, we should dress modestly, with the presence of mind always, that we are people redeemed by the blood of Christ, and have a responsibility NOT to cause anyone to stumble or sin, if at all possible.

My own opinion on attire at church is pretty simple. Something clean & something that fits. Some folks have really nice clothing, other folks have only casual clothing - either way, put it on and get to church. Too many folks have been (wrongfully) made to feel inferior, or intimidated by others who happen to have nicer clothing to attend church in. Church is not a fashion show, and unless someone shows up in a bathing suit or something clearly inappropriate, what folks are wearing shouldn't have any bearing at all.

Just my thoughts...
    "SOLA SCRIPTURA… GRATIA… FIDE… CHRISTUS… DEO GLORIA" Scripture alone, being our final authority, teaches us that salvation is by grace His grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone, for the glory of God alone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I am in agreement. I think C_A worded it as good as anybody could.

Just one thing to add:
    Does the pastor wearing a shirt and tie or suit on a sunday morning signify anything?
    I don't think it signifies anything (or shouldn't) other than he is trying to look presentable, professional, and well organized.
    I went to church Sunday in blue jeans and boots. I had no problem with it, and apparently nobody else did either.
    Also, I don't have a suit, and I am not a "businessman" type. I live in jeans. I'm a reporter, sports reporter to be exact, and I deal with coaches, games, and outdoors stuff. I can't be wearing "nice" clothes all the time.

But I do believe that modesty is well in order, and please...by all means...try to be neat and clean! People sitting next to you (or me!) don't want to smell us the whole time.

2 Timothy 4:2-4
    <(((><
    1 Peter 3:15

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    With regard to my first question, I think Psalm 101 has an insight:
    Ps 101:2-3
    I will walk within my house in the integrity of my heart.
    3 I will set no worthless thing before my eyes;
    I hate the work of those who fall away;
    It shall not fasten its grip on me.
    NASU

I notice that the Psalmist speaks of integrity even in his own home, apparently when no one else may be around. If it is wrong to watch in front of people, I think it is safe to assume that it's wrong to watch in front of God? Even though he knew nothing of a television, he knew that he ought not to set any wicked thing in front of his eyes.

With regard to the 2nd question, would you, as a Christian, think less of a pastor who was preaching in jeans and a T'shirt?

I've asked men of God whom I respect about this, and they say that the reason they wear dress apparel in the pulpit is to not minimize the authority of what they are preaching. They explain that even in the world, dressing up is a standard for an event of importance and that the corporate worship is such a time that we should honor God at least with what the world would honor someone important with.

In Christ
    Michael

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    WELL....with me being from rural Texas...
    I have been to churches where the pastor was wearing jeans. Not sloppy, dirty, nasty jeans. He looked very good, very clean, and quite comfortable.
    I didn't see a problem with it, and I didn't think less of him or his ministry. What I DID have a problem with was his shining endorsement of Benny Hinn....but that's another thread.
    His preaching itself however, was great. And he carried himself professionally, intelligently, and with an air of authority without lording it over the people.
    2 Timothy 4:2-4
    <(((><
    1 Peter 3:15