Pristine Grace
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 3

Thread: Calvinistic premillenialism

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Calvinistic premillenialism

If you are interested, my husband was able to interview one of the elders of one of the three churches this weekend. He is adamantly against any kind of synergism, and professes to be a 5 point Calvinist, holds to double predestination, and the singular will of God.

While he is pre-millennial in beliefs, he is not dispensationalist and does not necessarily believe in a pre-tribulational rapture. So it sounds like maybe there are some people more in line with the "old school" pre-millennialism after all. This guy claims that his beliefs are pretty much in line with what is taught at the Master's Seminary.

We are probably going to look more into fellowshipping with these people. The gospel is taught and we haven't found any other red flags. I'm tired of "Reformed" churches, so at least it is different.
    First I shake the whole Apple tree, that the ripest might fall. Then I climb the tree and shake each limb, and then each branch and then each twig, and then I look under each leaf. ~Martin Luther

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's a short article by Gordon Clark on the subject:

http://gospelpedlar.com/articles/Las...ondcoming.html

I'm amil in my thinking but there is a vast difference between Clark and Boice and dispensationalism. Dispensationalism tends to make eschatology its focal point and Christ gets lost in the mix. I don't think the same was true with Boice-he usually preached Christ.
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

I did find the same quote from Clark last night in the actual physical book 'What Do Presbyterians Believe' in my library.

To me he says nothing in firm conclusion and therefore really doesn't make a lot of sense on this issue. He bushes around the beat when discussing the various positions.

The view of Masters Seminary is in no way the old school pre-mil, it is still the second chance theory of Manuel Lacunza that blossomed into the whole dispensationalist movement. It is just lacking the slant that those given a second chance will be partially saved by certain works of the Old Covenant law.

Since the second chance theory is the predominant one, I will only believe that someone denies it if it is explicitly denied. I have not seen any 'evangelical' premillennialist teacher of today explicitly deny it and a whole lot of them (including MacArthur, in many sermons I have heard as well as in his books) explicitly teach it.

An example of his 'second chance for the Jews' millennial teaching:

http://www.biblebb.com/files/macqa/1301-O-8.htm
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 3