Pristine Grace

Thread: Free Hebrew Bible Courses from Yale.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Free Hebrew Bible Courses from Yale.

Here's an undergraduate lecture series on the Old Testament over at the Yale University website - free of charge.

http://oyc.yale.edu/religious-studie...t-hebrew-bible

Flash and Quicktime video formats...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Free Hebrew Bible Courses from Yale.

Thanks for sharing this. Have you listened to it? Is it any good? I have my doubts based on the description given at the website but let me know if it has anything helpful. A number of seminaries are now offering free courses through iTunes. I've been listening to some of the lectures from Concordia Seminary in St. Louis. The "Biblical Hermeneutics" class is excellent. "The Book of Revelation" is also very good. The lectures on 1 Peter are not worth listening to. They offer some Hebrew and Greek classes and I keep telling myself that I'm going to learn Hebrew but never get around to it. I listen to most of this stuff while I'm working and I think it would be hard to the Hebrew while working.
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I watched the first video and it was interesing. Albeit, it has a heavy secular slant to it.

Worth a watch I guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wildboar View Post
    Thanks for sharing this. Have you listened to it? Is it any good? I have my doubts based on the description given at the website but let me know if it has anything helpful. A number of seminaries are now offering free courses through iTunes. I've been listening to some of the lectures from Concordia Seminary in St. Louis. The "Biblical Hermeneutics" class is excellent. "The Book of Revelation" is also very good. The lectures on 1 Peter are not worth listening to. They offer some Hebrew and Greek classes and I keep telling myself that I'm going to learn Hebrew but never get around to it. I listen to most of this stuff while I'm working and I think it would be hard to the Hebrew while working.
    I don't use iTune personally but I would like to get my hands on those.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

iTunes is a free program and has lots of good stuff: http://www.apple.com/itunes/ Various seminaries have classes you can download there and theres lots of junk as well.
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wildboar View Post
    iTunes is a free program and has lots of good stuff: http://www.apple.com/itunes/ Various seminaries have classes you can download there and theres lots of junk as well.
    I HATE itune.

Alas, I am forced to resort.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to hate iTunes as well. Something about it and its interface is counterintuitive to the way I think. But it is nice to just be able to plug my cheap Sandisk mp3 player into my computer and just transfer the already downloaded podcasts over. There are still things about the program that bug me but I guess I have to accept that we're living in an iPod/iTunes world. It is probably a sign of the end times.