Pristine Grace
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Did God in Jesus die on the cross?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Did God in Jesus die on the cross?

Quote Originally Posted by Ugly_Gaunt_Cow View Post
    This is one of the problems I have with understanding the topic. God being eternal cannot die, and the requirement for transgressing the law was a physical sacrifice

As it stands, at this point I'm left to think it was the "man" Jesus that died.
    If Christ was divided into two persons at the time of His death and only a man with no connection to the divine nature died, the infinite physical sacrifice required by a just God was never made and we are still in our sins. However, we are assured by scripture that the Author of Life and Lord of Glory (Acts 3:15, 1 Cor. 2:8) did truly die for our sins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This question has been raised before in February of this year. There is a wealth of information and discussion pertaining to many topics that are repeated over and over again. It may be a good thing to search past threads for answers to our questions. If those threads are not closed we can post on them.

Here is a bit below I wrote back in February that may be helpful.

Re: The person and soul of Jesus Christ
    It is always an interesting objection from those who do not fully understand the scriptural doctrines of Christology to ask “Did God die at the cross?”or “Can God die?” We will try to answer from scripture. Or at least our understanding from scripture.

Perhaps some would suggest that if Jesus was God and God died on the Cross, who was in control of the universe while Jesus (God the Word) was laying dead in the tomb for three days?

The basis premise of the question implies or at least assumes that death equals non-existence. The scripture teaches that Jesus (who is God manifest in the flesh) died on the cross. However did God cease to exist? Of course not!

Where most fail is in their understanding of what constitutes death. Death does not mean non-existence but rather separation.

Genesis 2:16, 17 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: 17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Was Adam and Eve physically dead after they ate of the forbidden tree? No.
    Did they cease to exist? No. Then what happened? Their fellowship with God was broken. They lost God’s intimate and loving presence, and that experience was replaced with guilt, separation, and shame. They experienced Spiritual death.

Ephesians 2:1-5 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: 2:3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.2:4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, 2:5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved.

Paul the Apostle in the above verse describes the elect as being DEAD in their trespasses and sins. But they did not cease to exist. They were made alive again spiritually by the quickening (regeneration) power of God the Holy Spirit. They were separated from loving union with God.

The second type of death is physical death. This is where the spirit/soul departs from the physical body. As our sin-bearer, the Lord Jesus Christ experienced both types of death, i.e. the loss of intimate communion with God and his soul departing from his body. However, neither types of death result in non-existence or cessation of life.

Revelation 6:9-11 "When He opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the testimony which they held. 10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, “How long, O Lord, holy and true, until You judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth?” 11 Then a white robe was given to each of them; and it was said to them that they should rest a little while longer, until both the number of their fellow servants and their brethren, who would be killed as they were, was completed."

Luke 20:37-38 "But in the account of the bush, even Moses showed that the dead rise, for he calls the Lord 'the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. 38He is not the God of the dead, but of the living, for to him all are alive."

Jesus did not cease to live (exist) when he died on the cross since, the Lord's soul was still consciously alive during the three days his body lay in the tomb:

John 2:19-22 "Jesus answered them, ‘Destroy this temple, AND I WILL RAISE IT AGAIN IN THREE DAYS.’ The Jews replied, ‘It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and YOU are going to raise it in three days?’ But the temple he had spoken of was HIS BODY. After he was raised from the dead, his disciples recalled what he had said. Then they believed the Scripture and the words that Jesus had spoken."

John 10:17-18 "The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life--only to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down OF MY OWN ACCORD. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father."

The only way that Jesus Christ could be able to raise himself from the dead is if (HE) Christ were still consciously alive. This establishes that Christ did not cease to exist for those three days that his body remained in the grave. Both Christ’s divine nature and his human soul nature (One Person at Incarnation) were still conscious during that period of time.

Christ was alive and sovereignly sustaining the universe along with the Father and the Holy Spirit.

When Christ cried out on the cross “ it is finished”, He had experienced separation from His father for three hours. Not separation from the trinity in essence, rather a separation on our behalf due to the sin that was laid (imputed) upon Him..God (the word) in the flesh (humanity), experienced separation.

Ecc. 12:7 and the dust returns to the ground it came from, and the spirit returns to God who gave it.

Could Jesus have ceased to exist?

There are some who think this! His soul would have to be destroyed (annihilated) for that to happen. Jesus' s soul did not die, (cease to exist), but the body He inhabited did. The Body was glorified into a new existence.

We understand the physical (like Nicodemus), but we can't understand the 'spirit being' or the 'spirit realm'. So often we look at these from our carnal human perspective and apply our own carnal reasoning to them.

More to follow
    Nicholas
    My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand..........John 10:27,28

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

This is one of the problems I have with understanding the topic. God being eternal cannot die, and the requirement for transgressing the law was a physical sacrifice

As it stands, at this point I'm left to think it was the "man" Jesus that died.
    Yeah its almost one of those questions that seems almost hard to give an answer too. One person I forgot who The Hawker maybe in this thread says the Son of God died. But the implications in saying that is to say that God died, the divine nature. And as Bob pointed out if the divine nature died then God isn't immortal. So the logical conclusion would be that the divine nature stayed alive in Jesus and the man died, the body died, etc. But within Jesus the divine Spirit stayed alive. It also talks about Son of God being in the bossom of the Father, being in Heaven... its possible just maybe at the time of Jesus' death the divine spirit wasnt in Jesus body anymore but in Heaven, or everywhere since God is everywhere at once.

However, then people say that the sacrifice for our sins wasn't made if the divine nature didn't die. However, what was required for the sacrifice was a perfect man, a perfect lamb. Jesus being human and divine was just that, perfect in all areas. So whether or not the divine nature died, Jesus did and he was perfect like no other. So I would say even if the divine nature didn't die since God is immortal, the sacrifice was still met because a perfect Jesus died. And our Lord Jesus said "it is finished" before the body even died on the cross. Hrm that is something interesting to think about. Maybe thus on the cross the divine nature present the human nature present being sacrificed at that point before the body of Jesus died, the Son of God the perfect Jesus took on the sins of His People, because he said it is finished. And then the body Jesus died, the human nature was no more but the divine nature went on. Just a thought.

I dont think we'll ever fully know, its one of those things that I could say only God fully knows since God is all knowing, and is God. We are not god, and thus are limited by our minds and human experiences, thus we explain questions by what we know and yet God is so much bigger than we'll ever be able to comprehend. We may not have an explanation at all on what happened that day because it could be a God thing, something that doesn't happen in this reality and thus God never recorded in the Bible so it'll be hard to say for sure. But its interesting thinking about the quesiton because it ends up raising other questions. Like the divine attributes that Jesus had of God here, was it all some or none. I like Scotts response, that Jesus being God had the divine attributes but the human nature or just being on earth may have limited them a bit.
    A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold. - Wisdom

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thanks Stacey and Nicholas for your response!! Nicholas I must have missed that post of yours back in February Im sorry about that. Sometimes threads get muddled up and I miss the most important posts because theres so many other posts or topics in them. So thank you. That is a good point you make about death being seperation and not seccising to exist. You are right, Son of God cant cease to exist that'd be awful. So on the cross the divine spirit continued on but the man Jesus his body no more, least for 3 days because then he rose from the grave.. so his body is in Heaven.
    But also I find it interesting the Bible says that the Son of God was in Heaven in the bossom of His Father while He was also on earth walking around and doing miracles and forgiving people. So its just like we know God to be omnipresent, the Son of God was everywhere, Earth and Heaven.. walking in a mans body here on earth.. the Word became Flesh and dwelt among us, and yet Son of God was still in Heaven with His Father. I and the Father are One Jesus said. Thanks all for the answers I think I understand a bit more what may have happened that day, and that it wasn't that the Son of God stopped to exist for 3 days, God is immortal and eternal so is the Son of God. I had just never really thought about it.. we've always been taught that Son of God died, and somehow I had the image in my mind that He was battling Satan or in Hell or something. I had a realy weird messed up idea from my past religion.
    A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold. - Wisdom

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nicholas View Post
    When Christ cried out on the cross “ it is finished”, He had experienced separation from His father for three hours. Not separation from the trinity in essence, rather a separation on our behalf due to the sin that was laid (imputed) upon Him..God (the word) in the flesh (humanity), experienced separation.
    I like what you wrote here that was going to be my next question, is were the Son of God separated at any time from the Father on the cross. But looks like you just answered it, and that makes logical sense that He experienced separation but the trinity wasn't seperated, the Son of God remained in the bossom of His Father but he experienced a type of separation when the sins of His people were upon Him. Something like that...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MCoving View Post
    . I dont see how Jesus emptied himself of all divine attributes Scott, unless that is not how you interpretted that verse.
    No, I don't think He emptied Himself of ALL attributes but there are some attributes He didn't maintain. Omnipresence seems to be one, perhaps omniscience as well?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gerhard View Post
    If Christ was divided into two persons at the time of His death and only a man with no connection to the divine nature died, the infinite physical sacrifice required by a just God was never made and we are still in our sins. However, we are assured by scripture that the Author of Life and Lord of Glory (Acts 3:15, 1 Cor. 2:8) did truly die for our sins.
    When I say Jesus the "man" died, I'm speaking about His humanity which I am certain involved a human soul because His nature was fully man as well as being fully God. We know that God is eternal and cannot die so something was happening there with the two natures.

As for an infinite physical sacrifice I, don't find an infinite physical sacrifice required by the law. What I do find is the PERFECT sacrifice in Christ. A perfection that is predisposed to be eternal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

For the record, I am not Nestorian. I do not believe that Jesus had two separate personal identities, one divine and one human. Rather I confess that Jesus as God TOOK ON human NATURE at His incarnation in union with His God-person identity. The essential identity of Christ's person is eternally God, not man. The human attributes were taken into union with His Deity at a point in time. This means that He also took a human soul/spirit as well as a body--but this did not change His personhood into a God/man fusion or two separate persons (one Divine and one human) operating within a human body.

I believe it is correct to state that God died on the cross but not that Deity died on the cross. God died on the cross because He purposed to take on human nature in union with His person. So anything experienced by the human nature may therefore be said to be experienced by God. But I deny that the person of God can suffer, die, or be 'separated' from Himself in His Divine essence.

On the matter of what happened to Jesus' human spirit/soul at the death of His body on the cross, that is a separate discussion which will only confuse the important points to be recognized in THIS discussion.
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, I don't think He emptied Himself of ALL attributes but there are some attributes He didn't maintain. Omnipresence seems to be one, perhaps omniscience as well?
    Scott, Here are 2 articles that I find compelling to deny the Christ emptied himself of any divine attributes.

http://kenosis.info/index.shtml

http://www.fbinstitute.com/McCormick/IMPECCABILITY.htm

The third school of thought teaches that when Jesus Christ became incarnate in human flesh He surrendered all of His Divine attributes. This view must be rejected for the same reasons that we reject the other two positions. This queer idea could actually suggest that God could “un-god” Himself. How absurd! How ludicrous! In the Incarnate act, Jesus Christ became man, but He did not “change Himself into man”. The Incarnation of Christ in human flesh was accomplished without effecting any change in the Trinity. The Bible teaches the great fact of both the Unity and the Tri-Unity of God. Now, if God is unchangeable in His Unity, He must of necessity be unchangeable in His Tri-Unity. To argue otherwise is to make words devoid of meaning and thus to destroy all foundation for arriving at truth.
    But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
    GALATIANS 5:22

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As for an infinite physical sacrifice I, don't find an infinite physical sacrifice required by the law.
    Psalms 49:7-8

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UGC
    Since Jesus spoke of the Son of Man who is in heaven while He was on the earth, I think it's pretty clear that God the Son did not give up omnipresence in the incarnation. As touching His manhood in His state of humiliation He was ignorant of the time of His second coming. Nothing was given up or not maintained. In the incarnation something else was taken on.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Higby
    To affirm that Deity can die is a proposition too horrible for me to entertain for a moment. If I believed that, I would have to be a pure relativist affirmimg that no absolutely true statement can ever be made about anything. I would also have to deny God Himself, that He is immortal in His very essence.
    Nobody should be picking it apart and going in some bizarre directions about the deity dying. But I don't think we should be talking in such abstract terms when it comes to the crucifixion. Those should be corrected who think that suddenly nobody was watching the universe while Jesus was being crucified but I get irritated with those who explain the passages simply in terms of what they do not mean. Scripture pretty clearly teaches that God died for us and that's pretty incredible and we should just be standing there in awe of God's love and mercy and be confused as to why He would do such a thing. We shouldn't be trying to wrap it up into a nice little package right away.
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wildboar View Post
    Nobody should be picking it apart and going in some bizarre directions about the deity dying. But I don't think we should be talking in such abstract terms when it comes to the crucifixion. Those should be corrected who think that suddenly nobody was watching the universe while Jesus was being crucified but I get irritated with those who explain the passages simply in terms of what they do not mean. Scripture pretty clearly teaches that God died for us and that's pretty incredible and we should just be standing there in awe of God's love and mercy and be confused as to why He would do such a thing. We shouldn't be trying to wrap it up into a nice little package right away.
    I have to agree with you on this Chuck. It may be dangerously close to Paradox Theology for some but I simply can't wrap my mind around this one, so I have no choice but to admit it's a mystery to me...or at least I don't understand it yet. Either way, The Christ died for my sins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robert R. Higby View Post

I believe it is correct to state that God died on the cross but not that Deity died on the cross. God died on the cross because He purposed to take on human nature in union with His person. So anything experienced by the human nature may therefore be said to be experienced by God. But I deny that the person of God can suffer, die, or be 'separated' from Himself in His Divine essence.
    I think that is kind of what Nicholas was saying, that God died in the sense of experiencing death but not the not existing kind but experiencing being cut off from the Father, yet still in the Fathers bossom. Nicholas said it much better but its not that God died didn't exist anymore, not that the Trinity was broken... but just that since taking on the human form God experienced death.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wildboar View Post
    Those should be corrected who think that suddenly nobody was watching the universe while Jesus was being crucified but I get irritated with those who explain the passages simply in terms of what they do not mean. Scripture pretty clearly teaches that God died for us and that's pretty incredible and we should just be standing there in awe of God's love and mercy and be confused as to why He would do such a thing. We shouldn't be trying to wrap it up into a nice little package right away.
    I dont think its wrong to think about these things, it makes one think about God and who He is, think about Jesus and His nature. We may not fully understand what happened that day as we are not God but we can grasp a few things. For example Jesus was God, in the bossom of His Father while yet still in Jesus. Thats cool I didn't realize that till this thread... the Son of God was not only on Earth but also in Heaven. We can agree that God and the Son of God are eternal and immortal thus they CANNOT cease to exist. We know that the Son of God in Jesus experienced everything as a human, tears, feelings, death on the cross, that Jesus Son of God took on the sins of His people, and before he died He said it is finished. We know he cries out Father why have you forsaken me? All these things are good things to think about, asking questions leads us to Know our God more. We can never fully comprehend all of God for He is infinite and all knowing, but we can grasp as much as we can.. we can think upon things even if we may not fully be told the answer.. theres nothing wrong with thinking about this question at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ugly_Gaunt_Cow
    I would disagree. Look closely at the verse in question.

Phil 2:5-7 "Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, {and} being made in the likeness of men."

From the context we would need to define what "emptied Himself" is refering to. I think anyone would be hard pressed to prove that within the context of this verse that it is refering to Jesus giving up some of His powers. I think the key part of the verse is the last few phrases which qualifies how Christ emptied Himself. 1. He took the form of a bond-servant and 2. was made in the likeness of men. I believe the verse is clearly talking about a decrease in status and not empting of divine attributes. Jesus' status while on Earth was vastly lower than His former status in heaven with the Father. I think the context of the verse drives the interpretation of the phrase "emptied himself" to be define more like "humbled himself". Christ gave up His glory to become a man. Also I think it is clear that Christ retained both His Omnipresence and Omniscience while on earth. Here's why:

Omniscience is clearly seen in the following verses:

Mark 2:8 "Immediately Jesus, aware in His spirit that they were reasoning that way within themselves, said to them, "Why are you reasoning about these things in your hearts?"

John 2:24-25 "But Jesus, on His part, was not entrusting Himself to them, for He knew all men, and because He did not need anyone to testify concerning man, for He Himself knew what was in man."

John 6:64 ""But there are some of you who do not believe." For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who it was that would betray Him."

I've always liked this definition of Omniscience: God fully knows himself and all things actual and possible in one simple and eternal act.

To me, it is clear that Jesus knows all things about everyone and about any possible circumstance. Matthew 11:21 show that Jesus even knows what would have happened if something in the past had occurred. He is God.

Omnipresence of Jesus is not ever seen clearly while He was on earth, but before the incarnation and after His resurection it is clear that Jesus is Omnipresent. My view is that Jesus had the ability of Omnipresence throughout His earthly ministry but never chose to use it. Col 1:19 says, "For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell," and Col 2:9 says, "For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form," and Paul does not qualify these statements saying except for His Omnipresence. Christ has always had the fullness of His powers. I think if one says that Jesus did not have all His attributes then in essence they are saying Jesus was not fully God while He was here on earth. I find this troubling. Only Someone who is infinite God could bear the penalty for the sins of all the elect. This is my view.

Jimmy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When we die our spirits do not, we go to be with God. When Jesus died, His body, His flesh with which He clothed Himself died but His Spirit was still alive and even proclaimed victory to the spirits in prison (1 Peter 3:18-19). After this His body, His flesh with which He clothed Himself was raised from the dead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

1 Pet 3:18-19, (NASB)
    18 For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit; 19 in which also He went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison,
    Great verse Mike. I hadn't read this one yet in light of everything. It definitely talks about His flesh being put to death, but His Spirit being alive. What is meant by the spirits now in prison? I dont get that.
    I think most of us can conclude that Jesus the Son of God had his body die on the cross but God never died, never stopped existing. The Spirit of the Son of God continued to exist, and be everywhere and do the things of the Father of God. Is not the Father and the Son both spirit since their not human would they be a spirit? Does that make sense not even sure if Im wording that right. is that how they are referred to or is it something else? Just curious... mind wanders

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

Mary: What is meant by the spirits now in prison? I dont get that.

Jesus went and preached doom to the non-elect angels after His resurrection. It is as simple as that; I don't know why so many go off into other interpretations. Christ is exalted as Lord of all things; He is not only Lord of heaven but also Lord of hell. So He ENTERS hell and PROCLAIMS His lordship, no surprise here.

Thanks for all your recent contributions Mary!

--Bro. Bob
    I got four things to live by: don't say nothin' that will hurt anybody; don't give advice--no one will take it anyway; don't complain; don't explain. Walter Scott

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with what Robert Higby said. Here's Kretzaman's explanation:

Just how the work of Christ made this possible is shown by the apostle: Having died, indeed, in the flesh, but having been quickened in the spirit, in which He also went and heralded to the spirits in prisons. Christ died, not according to His divine nature, although this was truly and inseparably united with His human nature also in death, but in the flesh, that is, in His fleshly, natural mode of existence, in which He lived and suffered in the days of humiliation. Thus the entire Christ, the Godman, was put to death in the flesh. This same Christ, so the apostle proceeds to tell us, after His death resumed life in the grave. He was quickened, made alive, in the sepulcher. This quickening was made in the spirit, or with respect to the Spirit, that is, in the new glorified state, in which Christ, in His transformed and glorified body, lived, acted, and moved about, came and went as a spirit. In this spirit, in this new spirit-life, glorified and exalted, Christ, the God-man, according to His soul and body, retaining His flesh and blood in a glorified form, went forth, as our triumphant Champion, into the abode of the damned and of the devils, and there proclaimed His victory to the spirits in prison, that is, in hell, specifically to those who are further described. It was a part of the punishment which came upon the condemned and upon the demons in hell that they saw and heard Christ proclaim Himself as the Victor over death and hell, and were obliged to tell themselves that they might have partaken of this glory of the great Hero of mankind, if they had not deprived themselves of this blessing by their revolt against Him and by their unbelief.
    I heard of a Lutheran seminary professor who compared the descent into hell to giving someone the finger after cutting them off and that is essentially what Jesus did.
    For whatever strength of arm he may have who swims in the open sea, yet in time he is carried away and sunk, mastered by the greatness of its waves. Need then there is that we be in the ship, that is, that we be carried in the wood, that we may be able to cross this sea. Now this Wood in which our weakness is carried is the Cross of the Lord, by which we are signed, and delivered from the dangerous tempests of this world.--St. Augustine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thanks for the response! I wasn't thinking spirits in prison referring to those spirits in hell, which true is a prison.. they are not set free from the grace of God.
    Lk 4:18, (NASB), "The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, Because He anointed Me to preach the gospel to the poor. He has sent Me to proclaim release to the captives, And recovery of sight to the blind, To set free those who are oppressed,
    Rom 8:2, (NASB), For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.

So what you say makes total sense... I think my old religion would have possibly seen that verse to mean something else tho, or other religions I think they do. Thanks all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast